Hello EBike World

jlhog1

Local time
7:49 AM
I bought a small Sohamo A2 about a month ago. I did 140 miles on that little guy and had so much fun I just upgraded to a Aventon Aventure. I never rode an ebike before and the Sohamo was an experiment. Im am 62 with bad knees so the ebike is an excellent choice for me. I went with the Aventure as I grew up riding dirt bikes and like being off road. Looking forward to spending time on the forum and learning new things. Still have both bikes as the wife will take the little one and we can ride while camping...
image7402.jpg

Just over 100 miles in 6 days. Mix of road and trails. Even went on a beach a little. Plows thru it all. It seems like I am using a lot of battery power and am doing some tests today and tomorrow. Still making some changes to be more comfortable too...

Just over 100 miles in 6 days. Mix of road and trails. Even went on a beach a little. Plows thru it all. It seems like I am using a lot of battery power and am doing some tests today and tomorrow.
Good effort. What type of range are you getting? I have a 720wh battery paired to a 25/12a controller and get around 65 miles out of a charge using throttle set to 4/5 when on a mix of rail trail and bike paths, but I haven't taken it down below 32.5v.

I have noticed a few people getting a bit less range than they thought they would. I'm definitely getting far more than I thought was possible.

Ended up finding out I use far less battery on throttle as I'll pedal without assist on the flats 90% of the time which was definitely a surprise to me. I find that pedal assist just had me turning assist down to 1 or 0 all the time which was just a hassle.

Good effort. What type of range are you getting? I have a 720wh battery paired to a 25/12a controller and get around 65 miles out of a charge using throttle set to 4/5 when on a mix of rail trail and bike paths, but I haven't taken it down below 32.5v.

I have noticed a few people getting a bit less range than they thought they would. I'm definitely getting far more than I thought was possible.

Ended up finding out I use far less battery on throttle as I'll pedal without assist on the flats 90% of the time which was definitely a surprise to me. I find that pedal assist just had me turning assist down to 1 or 0 all the time which was just a hassle.
I did a 26.8 mile ride yesterday. Full charge before leaving. Paved and gravel roads. Some hills (466' elev change). It was in pedal assist 2 the entire trip with me shifting gears to pedal comfortably. Avg speed was 12.7 with no more than a couple 5 min stops. When I got home I was at 22% in the battery. I am totally new to ebikes and learning. Bike is stock Eventon Aventure. Adding. I did have the bike set for Class 3@28 mph but never went over 15 mph unless it was downhill.

Interesting. With my 26" wheels and 2.5 tyres I'm geared for a 21mph top speed and I basically sit on that within a few seconds of hitting the throttle and pedalling on flat, and on typical gravel rail trail inclines I'll hold 18mph up hill pretty easily. Did 55 miles yesterday with one of four bars left and assist on max.

Something's not adding up as they battery is the same capacity in wh as mine, but aventon quotes 19miles on assist level 5, whereas I'm getting around 60 miles on full assist at around 140kg total load. If I drop down to assist 2 on throttle (15mph top speed) I can get around 80 miles out of charge with good throttle modulation and a slower pace.

I'd like to know why I'm getting much more range than most as I definitely don't consider myself fit. Would constantly sitting near no load speed extend my range that much? I don't really know how the efficiency curves work yet.

Yup, I am confused. I understand there is a lot of factors into getting this range, but I am not even close to Aventons "real world test"
Per their website
SPEED
16 MPH
RANGE
45 Miles

For a quick reference as to what conditions my rides are, I do Wulkuraka QLD to Harlin QLD with one charge. Have done it three times in the last month. Not the steepest hills though. End up around 32.5v by the Harlin, but the controller doesn't cut off until 30v.
Screenshot_2023-08-29-11-13-05-08.png
IMG_20230829_111342.jpg

Back