Ghost Peddling

ts8181

Local time
12:01 AM
My wife has a Lectric trike and it ghost pedals at around 8mph, is there a way to fix this?

I'm guessing something like this

Attachments

• Lectric trike.jpg
    Lectric trike.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 26
Get smaller rear sprocket and/or larger front sprocket. That will negatively affect hill climbing ability but the only other choice I see with what you have is to use lowest assist level. If the frame is set up for it, you can try converting the bike to a multi speed. Or sell this bike and get another.

(pedaling, not peddling)

Which model is it? The only single speed they make that I'm aware of is the XP Lite, and it is geared for a comfortable cadence right around 15 mph.

Get smaller rear sprocket and/or larger front sprocket. That will negatively affect hill climbing ability but the only other choice I see with what you have is to use lowest assist level. If the frame is set up for it, you can try converting the bike to a multi speed. Or sell this bike and get another.
Thank you I will look into that.

Get smaller rear sprocket and/or larger front sprocket.
As noted you have to change the gears if the bike is running away from you. The front is called a chainring and there are different standardized bolt circle diameters (BCD) used on your cranks for your chainrings to bolt up to. You'll want to make sure you buy a chainring with a BCD that matches your crank so the two will fit together.

Changing the front chainring is MUCH simpler than changing the rear freewheel/cog. Also, since you are changing the tooth count on the front ring, you'll have to lengthen the chain, which is going to mean buy another one as you don't want to add links from some other leftover chain in the garage.

This won't affect your bike's hill climbing ability. That only happens if you have a mid drive which uses the gears. Since you have a hub motor, your motor powers the bike thru its axle. So you can change the gears all you want and the hub motor and its ability to power the bike will be unaffected (in fact you can remove the chain and your pedal assist will work just fine when you pedal the bike). The drivetrain (chain, pedals, chainring and cogs) is totally independent of the hub motor.

Your own personal ability to help the motor by pedaling up a hill will be affected though, exactly as you'd expect. But if you are pedaling so fast the motor is running away from you, it sounds as if thats not going to be an issue.

Back