Getting harassed

Snoop

Local time
12:28 PM
For the most part, my bike rides/commutes go smoothly and motorists are generally courteous to me. I tend to be cautious, and when on the road I use as much of the shoulder as I can.

Over the course of the summer, there is a particular black pickup truck whose driver has a vendetta against bicyclists. On at least 4 occasions, the guy accelerates by me, getting closer each time, and at the moment he is right behind me, he blasts his horn.

Needless to say, this is terrifying and has almost caused me to lose control of my bike.

After he flies by me, this is inevitably followed by him sticking his middle finger out the driver’s side window, and then he immediately starts pointing to the skinny pedestrian path adjacent to the road (not safe for bikes) implying that I should be using that instead of the road.

It happens so fast, and I am so startled each time, that by the time I think to grab a license plate number, he is too far in front of me to see it.

Last month I saw him do it to a cyclist about 100 yards ahead of me, and the guy almost wiped out in the road.

Has anyone else had to deal with something like this? It’s getting kind of scary as the guy seems to be getting closer each time. Maybe start wearing a GoPro?

In addition to crazed motorist that tried to kill me with their vehicles, I've had bottles, cans, filled soda cups thrown at me over the decades.
I try my best to memorize their license plates, vehicle type, brand, model and color, keep track of time & place of the encounter, always file a police report when you have solid info.
It takes good amount of time to learn to ignore the adrenalin rush and focus on retaining info quickly.
I pay attention to my surroundings, I make sure I take up the road and motorist see my presence on the road.
I plan my exit route beyond the road, hop on the sidewalk, grass or make a turn quickly.
Part of the reason I don't ride at top speed very often, because I know using the brakes reduce the control I have on the bike, with top speed always on reserve, I have better chance to get away and avoid impact.

I don't agree with all of his methods, but it's a pretty good start:

have a video cam looking to the rear. and another one to the front. get video showing the drivers face and the lp of the truck.
then take this down to the local sheriff, city police, state police, lawyer. pending who has authority there, file a complaint.
other wise don't be so jumpy.

In addition to crazed motorist that tried to kill me with their vehicles, I've had bottles, cans, filled soda cups thrown at me over the decades.
I try my best to memorize their license plates, vehicle type, brand, model and color, keep track of time & place of the encounter, always file a police report when you have solid info.
It takes good amount of time to learn to ignore the adrenalin rush and focus on retaining info quickly.
I pay attention to my surroundings, I make sure I take up the road and motorist see my presence on the road.
I plan my exit route beyond the road, hop on the sidewalk, grass or make a turn quickly.
Part of the reason I don't ride at top speed very often, because I know using the brakes reduce the control I have on the bike, with top speed always on reserve, I have better chance to get away and avoid impact.

I don't agree with all of his methods, but it's a pretty good start:
I do like what you have to say. but different country's...different laws. stopping in the crosswalk is a trafic code violation in the USA (no mater who does it).
sad only California has lane splitting laws in the USA.
BUT. as a now retired class A truck drive for over 40 years. car drivers are stupid. they have hit our brightly painted trucks, and said they never saw us.
as a bicyclist, and a motorcyclist. we are invisible to them. so ride like you are invisible to them. and expect them to do the stupidest thing possible. ride with a front mounted cam and a rearward cam. for proof of what happened. and hope it is never needed. if nothing else you just might some good video to share.

Yep, I have good months, with an occasional bad day on the road. I don't do sidewalks, as they ramp down steeply for driveways, and back up again along the main highly driven roads (commercial and business areas). We have a lot of pedestrian traffic on them as well. I have experienced pickup drivers acting badly, and then they get stopped by a red light. I go out of my way to ensure they see me photographing their tag when I catch up. They think they are anonymous. It is good to remind them they aren't.

But then, I am not a tiny guy, none want to venture out of their lifted truck for a confrontation. It appears they are only aggressive when they are in their steel cage. In the past 40 years of serious road cycling, I have only had one driver that had the stones to (briefly) step out of their vehicle. They reconsidered their options, got back in their vehicle and sped off.

i used to have this cam on the back of my motorcycle. with a red sign around it, black letters saying "smile for the cam".
people stopped tail gating me.
were i live all roads are just two lanes wide. passing lanes are very rare. and it is 50 miles to the closest freeway.
retired now so i try to stay out of city's. i keep to these hills.

For the most part, my bike rides/commutes go smoothly and motorists are generally courteous to me. I tend to be cautious, and when on the road I use as much of the shoulder as I can.

Over the course of the summer, there is a particular black pickup truck whose driver has a vendetta against bicyclists. On at least 4 occasions, the guy accelerates by me, getting closer each time, and at the moment he is right behind me, he blasts his horn.

Needless to say, this is terrifying and has almost caused me to lose control of my bike.

After he flies by me, this is inevitably followed by him sticking his middle finger out the driver’s side window, and then he immediately starts pointing to the skinny pedestrian path adjacent to the road (not safe for bikes) implying that I should be using that instead of the road.

It happens so fast, and I am so startled each time, that by the time I think to grab a license plate number, he is too far in front of me to see it.

Last month I saw him do it to a cyclist about 100 yards ahead of me, and the guy almost wiped out in the road.

Has anyone else had to deal with something like this? It’s getting kind of scary as the guy seems to be getting closer each time. Maybe start wearing a GoPro?

Do you have laws in your ? country, get cameras, report it

Attachments

• 20230922_154945.jpg
    20230922_154945.jpg
    373.3 KB · Views: 37
  • Img_1711.jpg
    Img_1711.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 35
  • Img_1712.jpg
    Img_1712.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 38
If this idiot is a regular on the road and is harassing bikers.....would seem the police could catch the dumb ass......I would report the guy.....if police refuse to help.....carry a few raw eggs with you........he's most likely just a chickens**t jerk!

But then, I am not a tiny guy, none want to venture out of their lifted truck for a confrontation. It appears they are only aggressive when they are in their steel cage. In the past 40 years of serious road cycling, I have only had one driver that had the stones to (briefly) step out of their vehicle. They reconsidered their options, got back in their vehicle and sped off.
This reminds me of a scene I witnessed at a traffic light many, many years ago (in the '80s I think).

There was the usual crazy traffic in Rome. Endless lines of cars and people honking. At a traffic light for some reason a guy in a big sports car got mad at a guy behind him in a microscopic Fiat 500. He began to shout more and more as the one in the 500 apologized with gestures, showing his hands palm. Eventually he got out the car and kept insulting the 500's driver from a distance with phrases like "get out of that can and I'll kick your ass!" (in Italian, of course..."esci da quel barattolo e ti faccio un culo così!").

Finally that one said "ok!", opened the door, got out of his microscopic car and.... surprise! he was A GIANT :oops:. He must have weighed 150 kg and was a couple of meters tall. Probably a boxeur or a rugby player. A powerhouse, four times the tiny guy in the big sporty car.

Whereupon the other one said something like, "aaaaall right, let's let it go, that you got off easy this time!" Got into his big car and moved ahead (another 15 centimeters...).

Back