Discounts these days

FrankR

Local time
1:17 PM
I would expect this to be peak purchasing time - with no need for discounts to stimulate sales.
But I see several different companies offering some fairly deep discounts.

Thoughts on why? Maybe to accelerate flushing out the old for the new?

China is selling bikes at a deep discount to wholesalers. China has seen a reduction in demand for their products (overall), and are doing what they can to increase sales.

Who would have thought 2 years ago we would see at least three different eBikes that can reach 40 MPH hovering around the $2000 mark?

Also a lot of the Brick and Mortar brands of bikes have fallen on hard times trying to compete with less expensive online bikes with better specifications. I suspect China is trying to put the nail in the coffin for some of those brands.

Many resellers/companies got on the ebike bandwagon and stocked up mid-Covid when sales peaked and production caught up again. Slowed down a lot meanwhile, and they are probably still sitting on new/old 2021/2022/2023 overstock. Plus, this year's fads are significantly different from last year's fads (battery size and location, dual motor, motor size, bluetooth etc). Hence, you'll find lots of sales of less sought-after ebikes, and occasionally even 2/3 price reductions. Good time to buy if you find quality at a reasonable price, assuming they are supposed to last way longer than a season or two.

Many resellers/companies got on the ebike bandwagon and stocked up mid-Covid when sales peaked and production caught up again. Slowed down a lot meanwhile, and they are probably still sitting on new/old 2021/2022/2023 overstock. Plus, this year's fads are significantly different from last year's fads (battery size and location, dual motor, motor size, bluetooth etc). Hence, you'll find lots of sales of less sought-after ebikes, and occasionally even 2/3 price reductions. Good time to buy if you find quality at a reasonable price, assuming they are supposed to last way longer than a season or two.
I agree with what you say as the primary reason for some of these discounts. I also think from the beggining many of the "e Bike" companies (actually nothing more than importers) have been grossly overpricing their products making huge profits. Now that demand is slowing they as you say are caught with large amounts of aging inventory.

I doubt a small bag of grocery's costing $100 has anything to do with. It's probably not the $2000 rent on a 800 sf apartment either. Couldn't be higher insurance costs that have doubled over the last couple of years.

They're probably just doing it out of the goodness of their heart, yeah that makes the most sense. Or it could be that after Storm Sondors showed everyone and their mother the potential of selling cheap chinese eBikes online, the market is now completely oversaturated with sellers.

Back