Chain rubbing between cogs

Rickpercy

Local time
3:02 PM
Hello,

I recently repaired the motor on my ebike. When I removed the chain and freewheel I soaked them in a degreaser.

I realised I trashed the freewheel so I bought another one. The dimensions are the same as my previous one.

I have since soaked the chain on atf fluid and applied a wet lube afterwards.

After putting everything back together the chain is rubbing against all cogs and it's causing a vibration.

It also looks like the freewheel doesn't sit straight but as it moves up the gears it seemingly looks better but the rubbing persists.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this?
IMG20230624140629.jpg

IMG20230624140822.jpg

Looking at that second picture, your freewheel is sitting WAY further out than it should be, with the obvious consequences.

If you threaded it on tightly, then unfortunately I think its likely you cross-threaded it. Especially since you say it doesn't appear to sit correctly.

Unfortunately - especially if you have done any amount of riding to tighten that cluster still further - it looks like you have ruined that motor cover, and probably the motor. If you back the freewheel off and thread it on right, the damaged threads are very likely to give way at even mild pressure on the pedals.

Looking at that second picture, your freewheel is sitting WAY further out than it should be, with the obvious consequences.

If you threaded it on tightly, then unfortunately I think its likely you cross-threaded it. Especially since you say it doesn't appear to sit correctly.

Unfortunately - especially if you have done any amount of riding to tighten that cluster still further - it looks like you have ruined that motor cover, and probably the motor. If you back the freewheel off and thread it on right, the damaged threads are very likely to give way at even mild pressure on the pedals.
It's not cross threaded, and I've not been out on it. I've actually had the freewheel on and off multiple times during my investigation. It's easily removable

How old is the chain?
Worn chain do not work well with new freewheel.

It's got 409 miles on the chain.

I just put the old freewheel on and it's working fine! Apart from the noisy ungraded bearings.

I think I know what the issue is.

This shimano freewheel has slightly different teeth. All other dimensions are the same. The teeth are 'twisted'... I don't know if this is intended or not.

If you see the 2nd cog the teeth are noticeably more twisted than my old freewheel (which is an unknown Chinese brand)...

IMG20230624191101.jpg

The angling of the teeth (which is normal) is not going to move the chain so far outboard that it is jacked up on the frame. You had a physical space issue and in those photos, the freewheel was further out than it should be.

Glad to hear its working and not a threading issue, but there's more going on than some different angles on the teeth.

The twisted appearence is intentional, I believe to help shifting, your wheel is on straight I assume?

Based on the look of the motor housing, plus the rims visible in the background, this is a fat motor. The freewheel version given the cluster. So here's a comparison, albeit imperfect. I have a shot of the same motor, the cassette version, with a larger-sized cluster mounted on it. The cluster in this pic is so much larger it exceeds the diameter of the housing where it tapers off. Now compare that to one of the OP's original pictures.

That enormous gap between motor and cluster - on a cluster so small it doesn't reach the point where the motor casing tapers off - stands out. It also looks misaligned although that could be an artifact of the camera lens. But no matter what, that gap between motor and cluster seems likely to be the cause of running out of room on the other side.

IMG_20180901_082431_cropped.jpg
IMG20230624140822.jpg

Back