Can you get an ebike to South America?

eTouringOldie

Local time
3:32 AM
I'm hoping to get down to Patagonia/Carretera Austral in Chile -- probably a year-long adventure. My local tours have been going very well, so time to up the ante :)

As I read about safety concerns in Mexico/Central America, I realize the best approach will probably be to ship the bike to SA and then get going once I'm down there.

My original scheme was to ride the PanAm highway, figure out the Panama-to-Colombia thing and then keep going. But the '2 German Bikers murdered in Chiapas' story keeps popping into my fore-brain. Too bad though -- I was really looking forward to e-biking Costa Rica.

Looks like I could ship it (slowly) via UPS/FedEx/DHL -- initial cost estimate looks like $3500ish. Turns out the batteries make this a big hassle.

Has anybody here shipped a bike to SA? I know I could buy a bike down there, but I suspect it would not need my needs.

Might be easier and cheaper to find a local shop in SA to buy new batteries through a head of time ( even if they are nothing they normally carry ) and pick them up there. I dont think I would want to travel though any of Central or South America with any thing that looks of value without a large group of people who look local and speak all the languages.

Yeah, maybe a pipe dream. But an old guy like me needs a carrot dangled in front to keep pedaling. Still shaking out gear — nowhere near ready for Yellowstone, let alone anything more challenging/nutz. Plus some family stuff has to shake out first.

I am extending my radius of action, and planning to do something like that in the future, maybe not a whole continent but just a whole country tour. The problem is the battery range, specially with the bicycle fully loaded. How many miles are you planning to do every day? There are considerable height differences to overcome along that road, and the distance between charging points maybe VERY much.

I have been living in South America (Chile) for many years, and know very well the Atacama desert (where I was working), and the Panamericana south of Antofagasta. I still think that is one of the most wonderful, remote roads in the world. Every single mile there is like being on Mars! I have been living in any single continent in the world, but to this time the fondest memories I have are from there, and in particular when I was driving in the desert (in my car...). And I am blushing with envy of you and your plans! :)

Regarding danger, I would actually put it on certain roads (for example, the international road that connects Chile with Bolivia near San Pedro de Atacama).

p.s. IMHO, definitively better to buy a battery, or maybe the whole ebike, at the beginning of your trip... and to resell it at the end.

Back