Can I Get Geared Hub Controller Help?

the_horak

Local time
5:40 AM
Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum so it's my first post. My e-bike's controller died and I'm looking at some options. The KT controllers seem solid and reliable, and a lot of people seem to use them. In my searching, I can't find a 30a KT controller that has the 6th hall wire (the white speed one) that geared hub motors seem to need. I've asked multiple AliExpress sellers and they all say that I need to drop down to 25a to get that wire.

Can anyone direct my to a 30a controller that has the 6th speed wire?

Is it true that a geared hub motor needs it? I've understood that the geared motors don't read a speed when the motor isn't actively turning. Is there a workaround for that?

Can I ask one more question ;)? My stock controller was 28a and, so far, the 25a controller might be what I need to get. Would that be a noticeable drop in peak power and torque?

Welcome to the forum. I'm to new to ebikes to give a answer. But I know someone here will be able to help you. Does the 35A KT controller have that said wire you need? I think the 35a KT controller has been used with the bafang hub motors. Yes I think there is a work around for that hall wire/6th wire to fool the speed controller.

The sixth wire has nothing to do with the Hall sensors. It is usually either a speed sensor or a temperature probe. SFAIK, not absolutely necessary and can be bypassed.

When comparing controllers and amp rating, you first need to understand what your motor can handle, and then decide what "peak" and "continuous" mean, and then figure out if a particular chinese engineer defined those terms the same way.

If it sounds like a crap shoot, you are correct.

The sixth wire has nothing to do with the Hall sensors. It is usually either a speed sensor or a temperature probe. SFAIK, not absolutely necessary and can be bypassed.
So my motor has the 6th wire for speed and my understanding, which I'm pretty sure it correct with this one thing, is that a geared hub motor will not show speed on coasting because the stator doesn't turn in geared hubs on coast. Only when the motor is powered and turning does the speed appear because the hall sensors are turning. The speed sensor is designed to read the outer casing and registers speed when the stator isn't turning. That's why my motor has it and I want a controller that supports it. If that's wrong or if there's a workaround, I'm all ears!

Thanks for the great replies either way.

Most, but not all, controllers will support this. A seperate speedo, which will work when coasting, is cheap.

I would not turn down a good controller at a good price for you, just because it does not have this.

Whether or not you will see a difference at different max amp levels will depend on how much your particular riding style, environment and load factors, need or want those levels of amps.

You can get more amps with no white wire, easy workaround, or get less amps with a semi-functional speedo.

Kt is pretty reputable.

I replaced my Kt controller on my Zugo Rhino with a nondescript 1500 watt controller and the display I ordered wasn't factory or even similar. Turns out it was for Bafang BBS motors. Does ANYONE know a website I can order ZUGO parts from? Please

I'm not sure if it does, but I didn't wanna pump 35a into the motor and burn it. Unless that won't happen and I'm being overly cautious
There is a parameter in KT controllers to limit the amperage to a percentage of the rated maximum amperage. No problem just turning it down a bit.

Back