Best zombie eBike movie ever made.

That's super-fun. The zombies got the guys on gas dirt bikes because they could hear them coming, hehehe. Perhaps the weakest possible reason to buy a Stealth bike.

How would you compare Stealth bikes to competitors like Zero, SuRon and that other Chinese one?

How would you compare Stealth bikes to competitors like Zero, SuRon and that other Chinese one?

That's a question I've thought about before. It's why I'm still riding the Stealth instead of one of these other bikes.

First the Zero. I've never ridden one, but they must be great bikes because the company has been around 2 years longer then Stealth, since 2006. The only one that interests me would be this FXE
FXE.JPG

Sur Ron seat number 1.jpg

The FXE out classes my Stealth in every way by so far it's not even close.

85 mph vs 55 mph
46 hp vs 8 hp
34 Kw vs 6.2 Kw
550 vs 80 amp
7.2 vs 2.5 Kwh battery
56" vs 45" wheelbase
32.9" vs 32.2" seat height
309 lb vs 120 lb curb wt
$12,500 vs I have way more $$$ in my Stealth but $10,000 when new.

There's only a few things keeping me from owning an FXE

1 Registration
2 Insurance
3 No riding on city trails, or sidewalks..
The first 2 aren't really that big a deal, but number 3 is a deal breaker. The same 3 reasons apply to why I got rid of my Tomos Moped after 1 year, and bought the Stealth in the first place.

Someday I could see myself buying a used FXE, but it's getting less and less likely because at 70 I'm just not that much of a speed demon anymore.

With my deal breaker in mind it's not hard to see why I'm not choosing a SurRon. No pedals are a bust on the trails. Another big factor is I don't care for dirt bike styling, I'm a street rider. Performance wise there's not enough difference to matter to me. I've ridden with quite a few SurRon's so I'm pretty familiar with their capability's. They're great bikes, but riding around town on a little dirt bike is not my style. Still they're one of the most monumental electric bikes made so far.

That leaves the Onyx RCR. I would argue that Onyx, and Stealth are both street bikes, that can make do in the dirt, but not nearly as well as a SurRon.
Onyx vs Stealth
60 claimed vs 55 mph
3000w vs 6200w, this is a little misleading. The Onyx can be easily programmed for more power, but it's motor is only rated for 70 amps.
1.65 kWh vs 2.5 kWh 72v battery
47" vs 45" wheelbase
33.38" vs 32.2" seat height
Single speed pedal drive vs manual 9 speed sequential pedal gear box. New Stealth's have a newer transmission with electric shifting.
Coil over twin shock vs Coil over mono shock
156 lb vs 120 lb my bike, new bombers are 140 lb
$5000 vs $12,800 list.

When I've ridden with an Onyx they seem pretty comparable performance wise when casual riding, which is not surprising considering they have similar motor power. I notice when an Onyx rides over rough ground a lot of them sound like rattle traps. You have to take measures to quiet down the rattles. Stealth's are very stealthy in comparison. Some might think that's a whinny complaint though. A more serious problem I have with them is the weight, and especially weight distribution. On one group ride I was talking with a Onyx owner, and he mentioned he thought his Onyx felt heavy. He invited me to pick it up off the stand. WOW, even though his bike had a stock "little" 23ah battery, just lifting it up off the side stand it felt like a ton of bricks to me. The optional 41ah battery must be unreal. Having a huge battery so high up in the frame makes the Onyx feel really top heavy. Both Stealth, and SurRon battery's are lower in the frame which lowers the bikes center of gravity a lot. When I ask him to try picking my bike up off the stand, we were both amazed that day.

I think the Onyx CTY2 is the better urban bike than the RCR, even with less power.

The one I was thinking of that compares with SuRon is Talaria, and I think they make some street oriented models too?

I can’t imagine ups needing to go faster than the ~50 mph that your Stealth will do. If so, you really DO need a motorcycle.

Looking at the options in eMotos, I like the Kawasaki better than the Zero. Cost is pretty reasonable for the performance ($7500). I like the modular battery design too. I like that the motor is not in the hub, too, because it’s less unsprung weight and more balanced.

I can’t imagine ups needing to go faster than the ~50 mph that your Stealth will do. If so, you really DO need a motorcycle.
I agree. For city riding in traffic a 50 mph top speed is good, but 20 to 25 mph will get you killed. In 2012 my Tomos came out of the box with legal 2 hp, and 30 mph top speed. By the time I got it assembled it was dark. I took it out for it's first test ride onto a 6 lane divided street. Ring ding ding ding bawaaaaaaaaaaa waaaaAAAAA 30 mph. When I looked in my rear view mirror at how fast the cars behind me were closing on me, it was terrifying. As soon as I got home I started investigating how to soup this damn thing up. Without too much trouble I was getting 42 mph top speed, which looked like this.

I agree. For city riding in traffic a 50 mph top speed is good, but 20 to 25 mph will get you killed. In 2012 my Tomos came out of the box with legal 2 hp, and 30 mph top speed. By the time I got it assembled it was dark. I took it out for it's first test ride onto a 6 lane divided street. Ring ding ding ding bawaaaaaaaaaaa waaaaAAAAA 30 mph. When I looked in my rear view mirror at how fast the cars behind me were closing on me, it was terrifying. As soon as I got home I started investigating how to soup this damn thing up. Without too much trouble I was getting 42 mph top speed, which looked like this.
I've been riding the exact same route once a week on my Stealth for the last 10 years, and not pulled over once. Even better, no accidents. This is how I get to my kung fu school. It's 26 miles round trip. This was the primary reason for buying the Stealth in the first place.

Back