Battery Charging and Storage Options in the Heat!

leehop71

Local time
6:00 AM
I skimmed over the threads and didn’t see anything alluding to this, but if I missed something, accept my apologies!

I just left my bike shop where I bought a basket. During our discussions this is what the tech advised.

First off, we both agreed that the charger should be left in the house in between charges in the heat!

He also said that charging the battery should ALWAYS be done outside of the living quarters, preferably inside the garage. Reason being, in the unlikely event of a fire, you don’t want it to occur inside your home!

But he also said he leaves his battery ON his bike all the time because, on the knock off brands some may have cut corners and you never know what a person may be inhaling coming from the battery, IF you store it inside your home in between rides.

Thoughts? Opinions?

hello,
Charging the battery is best in a garage leaving the battery on the bike is good as well. Removing the battery and installing a battery will cause arcing and can burn the battery terminals. adding a isolation switch between the battery and controller can help. if living in condo, apartment
i cant help you. but seen some scary stuff on the news about lipo batteries and apartment's. although i have never ever had problem in 3 years and ride all the time. running hard and charging when i get back home regardless of temperature. sticking with a good battery is probably best

hello,
Charging the battery is best in a garage leaving the battery on the bike is good as well. Removing the battery and installing a battery will cause arcing and can burn the battery terminals. adding a isolation switch between the battery and controller can help. if living in condo, apartment
i cant help you. but seen some scary stuff on the news about lipo batteries and apartment's. although i have never ever had problem in 3 years and ride all the time. running hard and charging when i get back home regardless of temperature. sticking with a good battery is probably best
Not sure what your background is JC but the one of the ONLY consensus I’ve seen between electrical experts is to ‘FOLLOW YOUR BIKE MANUAL’!

My manual says you can charge on OR off the bike!

Not sure what your background is JC but the one of the ONLY consensus I’ve seen between electrical experts is to ‘FOLLOW YOUR BIKE MANUAL’!

My manual says you can charge on OR off the bike! You can do either

My manual says you can charge on OR off the bike!
Hello,
You can, just pointing out scenarios from experience that maybe helpful.

Back