Advice wanted on parts for a DIY rear-hub bike.

Esus

Local time
6:25 PM
Hello all,

I am wanting to build a rear-hub e-bike on a 26 inch frame I found on the side of the road. I am seeking advice on what sort of motor, speed controller and battery I should consider. My budget is around $1000 AU (approximately $640 US for any Americans) the primary goal of this bike is to be a cheap, fast mode of transport however I also want it to be fun to ride. If possible I would like to leave the pedals and gears on the bike as a backup if the electronics fail and I cannot repair it then and there. I have looked into VESC and if I can, it may be a good option for an ESC, I also like the sound of the safety features of the VESC e.g. setting max power to avoid burning anything out (I once had an ESC burn itself out on something else). If I need to I could use an arduino with a pointimeter to throttle the VESC as I do have some experience programming adrduinos. I also want a motor that is at least 750W.

Sincerely, Esus

EDIT: Any suggestions on torque arms aswell if what comes with the motor is not sufficient.

Hello all,

I am wanting to build a rear-hub e-bike on a 26 inch frame I found on the side of the road. I am seeking advice on what sort of motor, speed controller and battery I should consider. My budget is around $1000 AU (approximately $640 US for any Americans) the primary goal of this bike is to be a cheap, fast mode of transport however I also want it to be fun to ride. If possible I would like to leave the pedals and gears on the bike as a backup if the electronics fail and I cannot repair it then and there. I have looked into VESC and if I can, it may be a good option for an ESC, I also like the sound of the safety features of the VESC e.g. setting max power to avoid burning anything out (I once had an ESC burn itself out on something else). If I need to I could use an arduino with a pointimeter to throttle the VESC as I do have some experience programming adrduinos. I also want a motor that is at least 750W.

Sincerely, Esus

EDIT: Any suggestions on torque arms aswell if what comes with the motor is not sufficient.
You might check out Voilemart or NBpower E-bike kits. Another kit you can check out is ebikeling kits.

Mate you need to save up a bit more. you will need a decent battery - and that knocks your budget up from AU$1000 to about AUD$1500

If you want it to be easy to pedal in case of electrical issues avoid any and all direct drive motors. The magnets when not powered cause drag, it's called cogging. A geared hub motor does not have that issue. I have had a couple 500 watt Bafang geared hub motors, they are quite powerful. One was for the rear, it was sold to a friend for his son's bike, he has been using it for a couple seasons and I believe he still like's and uses it. The other is a front Bafang geared hub motor, 500 watt, currently installed on my delta trike. All 3 wheels are 20" and having the motor on the front makes the trike 2wd which works very well for me.

Back