500w to a 1500 w

dlangy123123

Local time
5:31 AM
Hi. I have a 36v 500w beach cruiser bike .
I purchased an open box kit on ebay that was supposed to be 36v 800w . But contained a 36-48 volt fat tire kit . 1500 watt.
My question is can I swap my 36v 500w front hub motor with this 1500w motor . Measured the spokes and same amount matches up good. What else would I need to know ? My beach cruiser is not a fat bike.
Any recommendations on a good seller for a 48v battery pack on a tight budget ?

Fat tire wheels require a wider spacing at the forks. You are probably going to have to swap out your front fork. I would not recommend trying to spread/modify your existing front forks to make it fit with a 1500 Watt fat tire motor.

Secondly, make sure whatever fat forks you get are rated to have a 1500 Watt motor in them. There are multiple stories of front wheel installations of motors shearing the drop-outs the wheel fits in.

My bike came from the factory with a 1kw front motor. The drop-outs on my front fork are about 5/8ths of an inch thick (15mm) to handle the level of torque the motor makes.

At 1500 Watts, I am uncertain if 15mm is sufficient. It does work at 2/3rds the power you will install.
Keep in mind that 1500 Watts is about 2 horsepower.

Front drop out  15mm scaled.jpg

Any recommendations on a good seller for a 48v battery pack on a tight budget ?
Here are a couple on ebay and amazon.

Be sure to research the vendors and choose a good one.

Hope this helps,
HP

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
It's not a good idea. For one thing, your controller won't put out any more power, just because you bought a more capable motor.

It's like putting a 5L V8 in a car, but re-using the same carburator from when it had a 2L 4 cylinder.

Just ride the fat bike as it was intended.

Back