48V 15amp battery only charging to 53V

40buickcoupe

Local time
4:30 AM
I have a Tesgo hummer pro folding ebike with a 48V 15amp battery, bike is now 3 years old, and battery will only charge to 53.2 volts. What is likely problem and is it worth having it rebuilt I would like to get a 20amp battery which AliExpress sells but not sure how reputable they are. I also thought about adding a second battery to my rear rack. Good places to buy would be helpful or a place I can send it to have it rebuilt. This battery fits in frame.

Hi there, I think your 53.2v at full charge equates to about a 90% charge. From what I understand, lithium batteries gradually degrade over time, primarily related to how many charging cycles they have been
I have a Tesgo hummer pro folding ebike with a 48V 15amp battery, bike is now 3 years old, and battery will only charge to 53.2 volts. What is likely problem and is it worth having it rebuilt I would like to get a 20amp battery which AliExpress sells but not sure how reputable they are. I also thought about adding a second battery to my rear rack. Good places to buy would be helpful or a place I can send it to have it rebuilt. This battery fits in frame.

to and also how they have been treated generally. I think 90% charge after three years might be expected and “is what it is”. If it’s not impacting how you use the bike day to day then “it is what it is”. I don’t know if “rebuilding” as an option usually available and/or whether it would be cost effective. Maybe just consider buying a new genuine battery replacement when the range achievable on your current battery becomes unacceptable.

As to buying unbranded generic batteries off any platform - you pay your money and take your chances. I have certainly done so, am not unhappy with the two 20Ah batteries I bought but only time will really tell how good they really are - or aren’t. Hope this helps a bit.

Ya I kind of figured that it does take away riding time. I'm going to order a replacement and keep this as a spare for long rides or I might just get a rack mount and have the two on board. I know there is no way that battery has close to 500 charges.

If you’re going to store the old battery and/only use it from time to time, the advice seems to be to store with only 60-80% charge and then charge up immediately before use. Storing away from extreme temps (high or low) also recommended. I would also fully charge and use it every few months remembering to then store with only partial charge.

While EV bike batteries typically do loose some overall battery efficiency (and resultant range) over time, these battery packs can also have individual cells go completely bad. There are videos on Youtube showing how to identify and replace bad cells.

My 7 * 13, Calbike 48v nominal battery lasted many years and many hundreds of charges. I used it in 3 homebuilds. Then, it started discharging very quickly, and not fully recharging. I checked it out and one of my 13, 7 battery packs. was deed. I replaced it, installed a new BMS, and it charged fully. This involved new cells, battery deconstruction and construction with the purchase of a spot welder. But then it discharged under load within minutes. I kept my replacement individual cells, but recycled the rest.

Longwinded way of saying that it's probably not worth it. My bro works at the EPA and gets a steady stream of lith battery packs thrown out. He has access to equipment to check not only battery voltages, but load and watt hour capacity of individual cells. So, he has a steady supply of ok batteries for his drones and e bike. If you're willing to keep track of every cell, routinely, as he is, battery rebuilding might make sense.

Treat them right. Shell cash to replace them when you must.

lithium plaque. when I got my 2nd bike, the original 21ah battery was doing the same. I charged it occasionally.but more or less
set it aside for a couple years. Strangely, I hooked up to my current display a little while back out of curiosity. it was back to a full 54.6v.
I can only guess, but perhaps the stagnant lithium ions somehow migrated back to the cells with time?

Back