18v tool packs

Kingofgreens

Local time
6:51 PM
I'm now seeing advertisements for ebikes running on 18v tool packs.

I've been wondering about this for quite some time. Id love to know if there's a way to use multiple 18v packs together running through some sort of device that will allow an output of around 50ish volts and some decent amperage.

I just don't have enough knowledge to even plan out how to make this a reality , but I'm sure there's others that have had the same idea and figured something out.

Had anyone heard of this or know how to make it work?

I'm now seeing advertisements for ebikes running on 18v tool packs.

I've been wondering about this for quite some time. Id love to know if there's a way to use multiple 18v packs together running through some sort of device that will allow an output of around 50ish volts and some decent amperage.

I just don't have enough knowledge to even plan out how to make this a reality , but I'm sure there's others that have had the same idea and figured something out.

Had anyone heard of this or know how to make it work?
The biggest issue with tool battery packs is the lack of "Amp Hours of capacity". I bought some monster 20v tool battery packs with lithium batteries. They are only 5 Amp Hour of capacity. The battery on my bike is 22.4 Amp hour of capacity.

I would not enjoy riding my bike if it only had 1/4th of the current range.

You connect them in series to get to the target voltage, voltage adds up in series connection.

However, to get more amps, you now need to collect several series connections in parallel, and this has a number of dangers.

The so-called "battery blenders" do NOT repeat NOT solve the problem.

I don't think this is an option with modern drill packs as each pack has its own BMS and thermal protections.

Putting them together in series increases voltage throughout the circuit. Their protections won't allow it.

I'm hoping to find someone with enough knowld to help me figure out how to make a device that I can click on several packs and then have it output a usable voltage/wattage.
Like a big capacitor or mosfet cluster.

If I could get this to work I could then in theory ride around on 6 tool packs while I have 18 more charging.
Drill packs are designed to charge fast.

It still wouldn't be like having a 20ah pack ,but it'd be great since these packs have so many other uses already.

I KNOW it is an option as I have seen several people who have done it. They have thermal protections, but no real BMS.

You put identical packs in series, charge them identically, check voltages, and parallel them. Or use larger batteries in series and just swap them out with no paralleling, just carry extra packs and swap them out. Several kits, basically mounting brackets, to do this, You can make your own, or use factory USB output mounts designed for the battery and run new wires.

What you are dreaming of requires wasteful, inefficient transformers and is just not a reasonable option. No magic available..

Back