Why derestrict ?

Tomm Williams

Local time
3:18 AM
I’ve noticed many threads concerning how to derestrict any number of given e-bikes but I’m wondering what the need/goal is by doing so? My wife and I both ride Levos that offer more power than we can make use of most times so what are the riders after?
Is it racing or perhaps a motor that isn’t that quick to start with? As common as this subject appears to be it just has me curious as I can’t see any need for it but that’s just me of course……..

Where I'm from, the ebikes are all programmed to cut out when you reach a speed of 25km/hr (15.5mph). You need to pedal to stay above 25km/hr(15.5mph) just like a bicycle.

I've test ridden the EMTB's here on the downhill tracks, and you actually end up with a slower ride going downhill than with a normal downhill bike. It's amazing how quickly you reach 25km/hr (15.5mph) on a bicycle. Riding uphill is a different story, uphill mountain biking on an ebike is quite enjoyable, even with the speed restrictions.

This may be one of the reasons for derestricting an ebike.

I’ve noticed many threads concerning how to derestrict any number of given e-bikes but I’m wondering what the need/goal is by doing so? My wife and I both ride Levos that offer more power than we can make use of most times so what are the riders after?
Is it racing or perhaps a motor that isn’t that quick to start with? As common as this subject appears to be it just has me curious as I can’t see any need for it but that’s just me of course……..
I doubt you are looking for my answer which is "because I want to". Anyone who rides offroad will understand that given the bike, rider, and terrain, having personal options for all is quite important. I would not appreciate being unable to tap into the technology within my own property for whatever reason I opt for. I know the law does not always allow me all the freedom (and responsibility) I want. I think we need to watch out not to add to public distrust of e-bikes, exercise judgment with our riding, and not poke the bear because this awesome addition to our sporting experience is subject to creeping restriction.

A lot of factory ebikes are underwhelming on the power factor due to the laws they need to comply with. Sometimes buyers cant afford the version with the bigger motor. If you buy an undersized motor, you're probably going to look for a way to get a little more out of it.

The Trek Levo's are a good example of Brand Design engineered with a effective mid-drive to comply with European Standards - as a "upgrade" to the non-Electric Trek models.

The China Design's are engineered by-and-large with hub-drives which can put Power/Torque at a more affordable price point - and being non-Brand China designs can range far and wide from Folder's-to-Tri's what ever strikes a new market.

The China design's sold as Class II by and large can be "derestricted" to Class III (a few to higher than that) because the lower cost hub drives (over higher cost mid-drives) can deliver the power/torque to do so.

Both markets - Brand Design and China Design are truly coming into their own this past year - and growing into next year as well.

I have no reason to derestrict my Class3. 29mph is a good speed for me on the street and i find myself riding just under that on street down hills. My class1 hits its wall way too quick. Its geared very low, too low for my riding style. I changed the front sprocket to balance out my gears better. Even though its mostly trails, the smooth dirt distance riding would be better at a little higher speed. This bike will be derestricted.

Out here E-Bikes are getting more popular with school kids. Small E-Motorcycles are now using bike paths and walking trails in my area. The people riding them are not adults. I had what looked like a few school kids riding along the curb next to me in my truck. They were cruising their e-bikes about 35mph.

If new regulations come down the pike, it will be due to these things.

Back