RV Carrier?

Papa K

Local time
1:06 AM
Looking for a carrier for 1 or 2 fat tire e-bikes (65lbs. each) to install on the back bumber of our camping trailer. Rear bumper is 4” continuous welded square tubing and I would like to clamp around and, if needed, go under to the frame rails. I would not want to drill into it as it stores the septic dump hose inside. Anybody have something that works? The other option might be to mount a 2” receiver to the frame rails and the use a hitch carrier, but I was looking for a more economical solution. Thanks for any thoughts you can share.

I wouldn't do it. That's a lot of weight, and those bumpers aren't particularly sturdy, pretty thin walled. Also there's a lot more bouncing up and down on the back of a trailer than the back of a car or truck. Camp trailers are on springs without dampening. Lot's of receiver hitch bike racks aren't rated for RV use because of this.

I would have a welder install a really sturdy 2" receiver and then buy an appropriately sturdy receiver rack like a 1-up or something that is rated for 130 or more pounds.

Good thoughts, I was only going to put my bike on it, the wife”s folder could go under the truck’s canopy. I also thought I could just drop the seat and handle bars and stick it in the canopy leaned over. I really don’t want to lose my RR In the middle of the road.

Harbor Freight has an affordable receiver hitch motorcycle carrier that works for one bike. It's actually pretty nice https://www.harborfreight.com/400-lb-receiver-mount-aluminum-motorcycle-carrier-62837.html

Then either a hitch that goes between the frame rails, these come in different sizes https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry...-Frame_Mount_Hitch-pt-47_~_77_Inch_Wide_Frame
They have bolt in ones but it would be better to have it welded in.

Or I think if you are just going to carry one bike one of these bumper adaptors would probably be sturdy enough.
A nice thing about an adaptor like this is you could put it above the bumper for better ground clearance.

Either option is pretty affordable.

I was going to my bike on the rear of our camper. The RV forums really don't like that idea as the trailer will bounce a lot. I had my son install a hitch that attaches to the frame so I can put the bike rack back there. I was sitll going to get all joints on the bike rack welded to minimize movement. And before I had time to try it I bought a 2013 Ford F150. With the truck I can put a front hitch and be able to see the bike easily going down the road and not bouncing as much. I will use the hitch on the rear of the trailer for hoses, cords, and firewood. My bike weighs about 75 lbs also

I was going to my bike on the rear of our camper. The RV forums really don't like that idea as the trailer will bounce a lot. I had my son install a hitch that attaches to the frame so I can put the bike rack back there. I was sitll going to get all joints on the bike rack welded to minimize movement. And before I had time to try it I bought a 2013 Ford F150. With the truck I can put a front hitch and be able to see the bike easily going down the road and not bouncing as much. I will use the hitch on the rear of the trailer for hoses, cords, and firewood. My bike weighs about 75 lbs also
So your plan is to put it on the front of your truck then? That's ok as long as you don't drive after dark much as bikes on the front can really block your headlights and your turn indicators, and visibility. More when you have a cover on the bikes which you need whenever it's wet. The RV forum I visit I'd say it's definitely more popular to put them on the back of the trailer than the front of your tow vehicle.

We have a small fifth wheel trailer, 21' so using the bed of our Tundra was not an option so it was either the front of the truck or the back of the trailer. We went with the back of the trailer because it has a sturdy rear bumper with an integrated receiver. We have a 1-up super duty double rack its RV rated for two 75# bikes. When we ordered our trailer we had them add a second set of tail lights up high so there is good signal light visibility even when the lower lights are mostly blocked. You can easier add a flat four pin plug to the back of your trailer and add a light bar to the bike rack.

We just purchased two Himiway Zebra D5's (our first) and we intend to pull our travel trailer across country. We are unable to carry these bikes on the back of the camper so we had a hitch receiver installed on the front of our truck. My concern is water damage to hub and other components during travel thru rain. Can't use full size bike covers as it would restrict airflow to truck radiator. Did purchase complete handlebar covers. Biggest concern is for hub.

Manufacturers specify which racks are meant for use on an RV and they will cost more and weigh more. Hollywood and 1Up are two good makers of such racks.

Back