Recent greasing leads to hard pedaling

gTemp

Local time
7:31 AM
Hi folks, just took apart my Bafang BBSHD mid drive and greased the gears after 1,000 miles from a tube of Park Tool bike grease. I put it back together and during my first ride my pedals started to seize and pedaling became quite hard. It clears when I hit the thumb throttle but goes back to hard pedaling a few strokes after I release the throttle. Any suggestions as to the cause would be much appreciated before I take it apart again. This was not an issue before I re-greased it. Thanks!

Maybe the clutch pawls. When assembling you have to be sure it is rotated (rotate the spindle) so the clutch assy. rotates and the pawls move and the assy. slides into the drive gear.
Here’s a good assembly video.
If you don’t do this assembling can damage the pawls. Luckily the drive pawl is pretty inexpensive and usually it doesn’t damage the drive gear.

Attachments

• E4DDE515-4BDF-40E0-BF6C-5FAAF7D8E892.jpeg
    E4DDE515-4BDF-40E0-BF6C-5FAAF7D8E892.jpeg
    109.5 KB · Views: 82
Also if you disassembled the spindle shaft there are thrust bearings in both ends. The races on either side of the thrust bearing have a concave surface that the bearing run in. The races have to sandwich each roller bearing with concave side of the races facing the bearing before being assembled onto the spindle. If assembled incorrectly it will cause a lot of friction to the pedaling assembly and immediate failure of those thrust bearings.

That’s all I can think of. I’d suggest just disassembling again and check everything and follow a good online video on assemble. Luna’s videos are the standard. Golden cycles, etc. stay with e-bike company videos instead of individuals.

Maybe the clutch pawls. When assembling you have to be sure it is rotated (rotate the spindle) so the clutch assy. rotates and the pawls move and the assy. slides into the drive gear.
Here’s a good assembly video.
If you don’t do this assembling can damage the pawls. Luckily the drive pawl is pretty inexpensive and usually it doesn’t damage the drive gear.
Also if you disassembled the spindle shaft there are thrust bearings in both ends. The races on either side of the thrust bearing have a concave surface that the bearing run in. The races have to sandwich each roller bearing with concave side of the races facing the bearing before being assembled onto the spindle. If assembled incorrectly it will cause a lot of friction to the pedaling assembly and immediate failure of those thrust bearings.

That’s all I can think of. I’d suggest just disassembling again and check everything and follow a good online video on assemble. Luna’s videos are the standard. Golden cycles, etc. stay with e-bike company videos instead of individuals.
Thanks for this! I will try again. I thought maybe I had the cover bolts on too tight and it was rubbing on the big gear so I loosened those. For most of my next ride things were good again then the pedaling got hard again. Will have to disassemble and check it all out.

Back