Mid-drive motor turns, not engaging gear

Battery Powered

Local time
6:16 PM
Dapu mid-drive motor. 48v 500 watt
On one of the bikes the motor will turn but not engage the crank. Going to break it down and see If I can find the problem. I read where it could be the clutch has gone bad, anyone ever tear down a mid-drive motor or knows what might be causing this. If this should be posted in another location let me know and I will repost
Thanks

It's the small gear that goes into the motor that's not turning. I will have to wait another day to get into the motor more.

Attachments

• 20230429_145436.jpg
    20230429_145436.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 169
I chased the pawl (clutch) down in a bbso2 and it was hard ( needed a bafang driveshaft tool, snap ring pliers and a new bafang grease seal ) to get at compared to the bbso3. I learned how to get at the pawls by watching YT videos. I can find nothing on the Dapu mid motor on YT.

I couldn't find any videos either, I might try to video this, it would be a first for me. I purchased a new motor and installed it so we can ride.
If I can get this one repaired it will be a spare.
Parts will definitely be a problem.

I had some time yesterday and took the rest of the motor apart. The green, I guess nylon or plastic, gear is toast.
I was able to get a replacement gear before I tore the motor apart. I tested the motor today and it worked fine. To test it I swapped out my motor with the rebuilt one and then put my motor back on. Took about 2 hours.

Attachments

• IMG_20230714_131203648.jpg
    IMG_20230714_131203648.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_20230714_131647307_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230714_131647307_HDR.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 130
I had some time yesterday and took the rest of the motor apart. The green, I guess nylon or plastic, gear is toast.
I was able to get a replacement gear before I tore the motor apart. I tested the motor today and it worked fine. To test it I swapped out my motor with the rebuilt one and then put my motor back on. Took about 2 hours.
I’m having this same problem. Where were you able to find the part? (Nylon gear)

The manufacturer of the bike was able to get the gears from Dapu. Took several months, I know I will need another down the road but can't find them anywhere. I have reached out to Dapu with no success.

If I do find a source I will post where.

ok have you looked at the bafang gears or the tongshen tsd model motors yet?

No, I will check them out. Thanks
On edit
I checked and couldn't find any gears.
My wife has a friend who does 3D printing, I will have her ask if he could make the gear part.
If he can I will take the gear out and see if it comes apart. Then send it to him.
Meanwhile I am still looking.

The manufacturer of the bike was able to get the gears from Dapu. Took several months, I know I will need another down the road but can't find them anywhere. I have reached out to Dapu with no success.

If I do find a source I will post where.
Thanks ! I realized that my problem different- the nylon is fine but the three screws mounting it snapped so I replaced them myself. Any suggestions on grease? Was just going to use the ball bearing grease I have around (I see strong opinions out there about mobil 28 and white lithium?)

We cant find them, Dapu is not returning emails. Please let us know if you have any luck.
I sent another request and will try to call them.

I tried to call Dapu, the number on the website didn't work, the other number I found they answered but didn't speak English.
If anyone can find numbers for Dapu I will call them. Thanks

Any suggestions on grease? Was just going to use the ball bearing grease I have around (I see strong opinions out there about mobil 28 and white lithium?)

Back