How can I connect the battery when it only has two output wires?

athaydes

Local time
3:48 AM
Hi folks!!

It may be a silly question, but I'm having trouble understanding how to connect the battery when it only has two output wires, that is, it charges and discharges via the same wires.

I'm changing controllers, and this new one doesn't have a dedicated charging port. What is the correct way to connect?
I send a diagram that I made to better clarify my question, and another diagram that I found on the internet with a solution. Would it really be like that?

Thanks!

Attachments

• esquema_1.001.jpeg.001.jpeg
    esquema_1.001.jpeg.001.jpeg
    78.4 KB · Views: 78
  • fe66128a0ca24dcfb69b15f2bd6337ed.jpg
    fe66128a0ca24dcfb69b15f2bd6337ed.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 75
We shud have some members chime in here i'd think...

My only suggestion would be to charge at a low amperage...like 2 amps or perhaps 1/2 amp would be slow enough
to charge like that.

Your first picture seems to imply that you are replacing the battery that has a separate charge port with a battery that doesn't have a separate charge port but you say you are changing your controller? Your second picture shows two batteries hooked up in series which will double your voltage.

Don't do what you have pictured, I don't know what you are trying to do but I don't think this is what you are looking for.

What kind of controller are you installing, what kind of bike/motor? That info may help. The issue you are describing is a little confusing. On my bike (bafang mid-drive kit), the battery has 2 wires which are connected to the motor via the bracket that holds the battery to the frame, and on the side of the battery there is a charging port. It's not part of the controller's wiring bundle. My bike's charging port is a mini XLC type and can only accept a 3 amp current. It seems like you have what you need in terms of wires, so knowing more specifics could be helpful.

I'd be careful with what you are doing until there is more info out.

Thanks guys, sorry for the confusion...:sneaky:

I note that batteries at all normally have separate ports, right?: one for charging and another for connecting to controller.

In my bike - original configuration - the battery only has one port: the same port that connects to the controller is the charging port.

One way to charge battery is removing it from inside seat tube and connect it to charger.

But, is another way to charge - in this original configuration: there is a second port, this one in a little box near the handlebars, box which contain the controller too. This port is served by the only two wires that come inside the frame from battery.

In this original configuration the controller comes without a display, all control is by phone bluetooth, which I didn't like. So, what I'm going to do is change this bluetooth controller for one with display.

The first figure above shows more or less what I explained. In the second figure what I wanted to show is only an example of the connection I need (right lower side).

In any case, I will pay atttention to the max current specificiation for charging.

Thanks guys, sorry for the confusion...:sneaky:

I note that batteries at all normally have separate ports, right?: one for charging and another for connecting to controller.

In my bike - original configuration - the battery only has one port: the same port that connects to the controller is the charging port.

One way to charge battery is removing it from inside seat tube and connect it to charger.

But, is another way to charge - in this original configuration: there is a second port, this one in a little box near the handlebars, box which contain the controller too. This port is served by the only two wires that come inside the frame from battery.

In this original configuration the controller comes without a display, all control is by phone bluetooth, which I didn't like. So, what I'm going to do is change this bluetooth controller for one with display.

The first figure above shows more or less what I explained. In the second figure what I wanted to show is only an example of the connection I need (right lower side).

In any case, I will pay atttention to the max current specificiation for charging.

Greetings marcus :)

Yes, normally most ebike batteries have a seperatye charging port. The output of the battery would go to the controller
and the charge input port would not have anything connected to it while you are running your bike, then when you charge
just connect charger to charge port usually the way it goes.

For some reason we're having trouble understanding what your desires are.

So as long as the pin out (the way the wires are supposed to hook up to eachother) is correct then you should be able to
plug everything in and run it down the road :)
BUT...we're not there with you so this coulod get a bit confusing....the cool people here will try to help :)

Okay I think I get it. You are not planning to connect two batteries like in the second picture just pretend it is one battery with one set of wires in/out.

It looks good to me the negative (black) straight to the charger, the positive (red) goes through a switch and fuse then to the charger.

What I would do is just remove the battery from the bike to charge it, which is what I do with our e-bikes. I would just have the same plug end on my charger either with an adaptor or I would just solder on a new plug end.

If the battery is mounted in such a way that it isn't possible to remove to charge you could just un plug from the controller and plug into your charger each time.

Yeh, I understand, thanks for the tips. I would like to give more details about the currently system, but I don't no how much this could break any patents or infringe any company registration.

And by a common port BMS? "A common port BMS can charge and discharge through the same point, it's possible to make a charging dongle that can be attached to the discharge connector. This makes building a battery pack a lot easier, as only one set of wires has to come out of the pack."

Yeh, I understand, thanks for the tips. I would like to give more details about the currently system, but I don't no how much this could break any patents or infringe any company registration.
One day after this message I was informed that the Vela factory went bankrupt in Brazil, but, it seems that it still exists in the USA.

Back