Fixed throttle Error 04, but...

I81ICU812

Local time
11:06 AM
I got an error suggesting a bad throttle. I bought a new throttle, but it didn't work. The Error code disappeared, but it's apparently not sending juice to the motor. I tried the new throttle on my wife's bike, which has an orange female end and it worked. So, it's down to the connector. I planned on splicing the yellow male end to the known good throttle, but the colors are weird. On the good throttle, the colors are purple, gray and black, whereas the yellow plug cable is red, white and black. I tried P to R, Bk to Bk and G to W to no avail, and the error code is back. Any idea on what the different colors mean?

Two of them should be red and black with a 5 V current. Third wire varies a bit, if you have a cruise control switch or a battery readout, could be that.

Throttle sends signal to the controller, current 0-5V. Controller reads this, and Controller sends juice to the motor.

Some info about what happened to the bike right before this error started happening would be useful. Usually some sort of crash and/or impact event, problems with magnet inside the throttle, cut or crimped cable, connector on the end, damage to the controller.

wires.jpg

Two of them should be red and black with a 5 V current. Third wire varies a bit, if you have a cruise control switch or a battery readout, could be that.

Throttle sends signal to the controller, current 0-5V. Controller reads this, and Controller sends juice to the motor.

Some info about what happened to the bike right before this error started happening would be useful. Usually some sort of crash and/or impact event, problems with magnet inside the throttle, cut or crimped cable, connector on the end, damage to the controller.
I was riding and just suddenly lost power. Full battery. It really just stopped working.

The throttle end has red white and black wires and the connector end has black, purple and gray wires. I really don't want to go through the hassle of trying all the combinations. Just hoping there was some color coding convention I didn't know about. I know that Chinese stuff doesn't always match standard convention.

"Color coding convention???"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA

It's pretty much poke and hope. They MIGHT have both used black for ground. Maybe

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

"Color coding convention. "

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Try the OLD throttle on the wife's bike, and wife's throttle on yours, if possible. Make certain there is no water inside the throttle. Water will cause this, loose or damaged cable, magnet fell off. Look inside for a very small magnet loose and rattling around.

Not at all common for throttle to go bad suddenly, they are very simple. Other possibility is internal controller issue. If you have a pedelec connection and sensor, try this. Also look in display menu for standard throttle settings, soft start, etc. Some now have a "disable throttle" feature.

"color coding convention"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

It seems I'm able to edit your comments. Odd. Anyway, this a picture of the wire ends:

View attachment 10755
You should be able to bench test your throttle with a 9volt battery. Hook a power & ground to the 9volt battery & then Hook a volt meter to last remaining wire & the ground on the battery. Twist the throttle while watching volt meter, you should have 5 volts at full throttle. They also made 0-8volt throttle so at full throttle it might be 8 volts. If no voltage is observed on meter, then try a different wire combo.

Suddenly I have a bit more of a serious problem; a short. I bought a new throttle and it tested good on my wife's bike. I also had the company send me a new controller. I installed the throttle and controller to no avail. Then, I disconnected the throttle and got the Error 04 `again. I reconnected the throttle, and here's where it gets squirrelly, I disconnected some of the wires from the controller, but I didn't get any errors on the display. It read like there was no problem. So, a short.

It works, now. The seller sent me a throttle, and it's apparently a proprietary design. I bought two different throttles and neither worked on my bike, but did on my wife's. The problem is that it's a half-hand throttle, and I was really hoping to replace it with a full-hand throttle. I hurt my hand a few years ago and it didn't heal right. The thicker handle on the FHT would be easier on me. Yeah, I know, the world's smallest violin playing the world's saddest song...

Well, I still have two working FH throttles, the plug end of the bad one, and a new controller. I also bought an e-bike tester. I can probably scavenge a FHT to work on my bike.

Just in time for peak leaf season.

Edit: Using the tester and having a plug I was able to figure out the pin designation and soldered it to the full hand throttle. Good day, so far...

I have error code 4 but i have no throttle connected , but not sure which is PAS connector the one I have Connected has 3 wires brown yellow and black.
There is another connector with 3 wires red white black I presume that's the throttle and it is not connected any help please I enclosed photos of the controller and connectors

Attachments

• IMG_20240122_133758.jpg
    IMG_20240122_133758.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 29
  • Screenshot_2024-01-19-18-25-09-588_com.android.chrome-edit.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-01-19-18-25-09-588_com.android.chrome-edit.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20240115_134045.jpg
    IMG_20240115_134045.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20240111_125654.jpg
    IMG_20240111_125654.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 34
Hook a power & ground to the 9volt battery & then Hook a volt meter to last remaining wire & the ground on the battery. Twist the throttle while watching volt meter, you should have 5 volts at full throttle.

Back