Choosing the right Action Camera & accessories

I made this with a first generation GoPro. I bought it used in, I think 2010. This was one of my very first videos. I had just made my first china girl, and was really proud of it. I wasn't trying to make a comedy, but the first friend I showed it to laughed his butt off. Turn the volume up.

I must have my timeline a little bit off. Time fly's when you're having fun. I forgot about this one, it was at least a year or two earlier than the Atomic BB video. This is my favorite. I made this with the same first gen GoPro.

It's a lot easier now to get good camera angles. Back in 2013 I mounted the GoPro on a car wash brush and attached it under a bicycle rack with wire ties. Back then fast eBikes were kind of rare, so I tried to show what the bike was like.

All my old videos are pretty bad compared to what I see now lol. Everybody is so sophisticated. I watch a "how too" video, and I only have a vague idea what they're talking. That's why I don't look down on people that don't bother to look at YT videos to learn how too fix their bikes before asking. Easy for me to say.

Wouldn't it be a lot more economical to have a load of gravel delivered rather than buying bagged gravel? 2 1/2 tons in a dump truck. Or is this an exercise thing?
I missed that question way back when you posted it.

Its surprisingly economical. Home Depot sells me a 0.50 cu/ft for just under 5 bucks (Vigoro pea pebbles). As the project has progressed over time I have bought a whole pallet of 100 bags for $4.48 per bag, so 50 cubic feet runs $537 with the $89 delivery fee added.

If instead I have the cheapest gravel delivered locally by dump truck, the minimum is 3 tons / 2.5 cubic yards (68 cubic feet) for about $860. 5 tons / 4.1 cu yds is $1075. This nets me a pile of gravel in my driveway I have to deal with by the shovelful. WAY more difficult than lugging a self-contained bag (even dozens of them) around my house and in some cases over a fence with no gate.

But ignoring handling and looking only at cost, without the volume discount (49 bags+) I am paying roughly $10 per cubic foot bagged, versus $12.65/cu. ft. for 3 tons delivered. I have to go to 5 tons / 4.1 cubic yards to get my cost below what Home Depot is charging me for single bags ($9.70 per cubic foot). I have probably spread around about 6 tons (132 cu ft) which would be about $1123 delivered, or $8.50 per cubic foot.

So buying it by the bag at the discount place is easier to handle by the bag, I can do it in small bites and not have to live with a 6 ton mound of gravel in my driveway.

And I get the exercise to boot :) I would prefer to be able to carry more than 2 bags at a time of course, but its just not safe for my frame and wheels to do 150 lbs of gravel, whereas it is ok at 100. So I go slow, get a good ride in and it costs me $10 per trip.

At this point I have everything done and am now just replacing gravel that has washed away a bit, resettled itself a bit or making it deeper where I want to really be aggressive about reducing rain erosion.

A lot of the bike video bloggers I follow hate the new GoPros because they claim they overheat and stop recording. That's probably not as much a problem for typical users as bike bloggers that let their camera run for hours at a time on group rides.
This is EXACTLY the experience I had with my one GoPro back in 2017. It got unbelievably hot and would shut itself down.

A lot of the bike video bloggers I follow hate the new GoPros because they claim they overheat and stop recording. That's probably not as much a problem for typical users as bike bloggers that let their camera run for hours at a time on group rides.
Interesting. In the end I still haven't bought it (also because of import issues: I prefer to buy during trips to the EU or even better to the US). But I'm a bit undecided about what to buy anyway. I have read a zillion reviews, information, opinions, and would like to better figure out what to do.

My intention is not to put videos of my "exploits" :unsure: on youtube but to mainly have some good memories to bother and annoy :ROFLMAO: my family and friends, and especially to use it as a "dashcam" in case something happens.

I have the GoPro Hero10. It gets pretty hot especially if you run it plugged in for time lapse photography. It's usually fine under normal filming conditions. It's a great camera with a lot of features and a huge accessory market. My biggest problem with it is battery life. Who wants to keep swapping batteries every 40 min or so? I don't know what battery life is like on the newer models, but you essentially have to bring a bunch with you to capture a days worth of fun. They're not cheap. I also lost some cool footage due to the battery being expired while the cool thing happened. I haven't been able to figure out a way to keep it sealed from the elements and plugged in to an external batt for long term recording. Although I will read m@robertson's write up to see how he solved it on his bikes.

I have the GoPro Hero10. It gets pretty hot especially if you run it plugged in for time lapse photography. It's usually fine under normal filming conditions. It's a great camera with a lot of features and a huge accessory market. My biggest problem with it is battery life. Who wants to keep swapping batteries every 40 min or so? I don't know what battery life is like on the newer models, but you essentially have to bring a bunch with you to capture a days worth of fun. They're not cheap. I also lost some cool footage due to the battery being expired while the cool thing happened. I haven't been able to figure out a way to keep it sealed from the elements and plugged in to an external batt for long term recording. Although I will read m@robertson's write up to see how he solved it on his bikes.
Ha... that's a problem, thanks. I usually ride with a 20,000 mAh backup battery to keep my phone charged, but it could be used also to power it. Still, the heating problem and battery life are not ok... (n)

QUESTION: For a while now, the emoticons on this forum have been appearing "out of phase" vertically for me: the top piece appears instead of the top... I don't know how to explain it better. Does this happen only to me? Or do I only see them that way? Nothing serious but just to understand....

. (n)

QUESTION: For a while now, the emoticons on this forum have been appearing "out of phase" vertically for me: the top piece appears instead of the top... I don't know how to explain it better. Does this happen only to me? Or do I only see them that way? Nothing serious but just to understand....
The emoticon you used appeared normally for me. I rarely use them so here goes:

I haven't been able to figure out a way to keep it sealed from the elements and plugged in to an external batt for long term recording. Although I will read m@robertson's write up to see how he solved it on his bikes.
Short version is I used a scuba box, and drilled a hole into it to let the USB power cable thru. Not good for scuba diving but just fine for a bike in the pouring rain. More details in that article.

Back