ali express LIFEPO4 packs

No I didn't forget. What I have been saying is the specs you are being fed are bulls**t. A 48v 20ah pack shouldn't go anywhere remotely near the theoretical or real world max current volumes thrown around here regardless of cell chemistry. Even if they were physically capable of doing it, knowing how heat is the enemy of the various flavors of lithium batteries, you don't burn power in like that to preserve pack life.

But hey, its your project have at it.

All I know is LIFEPO4 chemistry in general is amazing. Maybe even more so than LTO as even though LTO is capable of pushing even more amps they are much larger cells and heavier than LIFEPO4.

Yea I bet those 4 - 26650 cells will probably fail miserably soon after that video being forced to push the 300 to 400 amps required to start that car and being fed about 80 amps from the alternator ? cold be less if something between the alternator and battery. Not sure. BUT they still started the car.

4S 10P or 15P should work for awhile as a car battery. 10P for smaller cars like 4 cylinders and 15P for larger 8 cylinders. I doubt they make a 400 to 600 amp BMS though so would need to externally balance when charging. I do that with my LTO batteries and 17S LIFEPO4. I have two 7S external balancers and two 6S. My two 6S LiPo chargers also balance charge.

Since I run 43V 13S with two 5S - 8P A123 cells like in that video in series with 3S - 3p old abused 8 Ah HEADWAY cells after series charging with my 43.6V 10 amp 600 watt charger about 3 or 4 times I need to haul them downstairs and charge and balance each pack separately. I am about to do that now as the 3S Headway is 20 to 30% and the two 8P packs vary from 40 to 80%.

Any genuine LIFEPO4 20 Ah prismatic cell being much larger than a 26650 cell like in the video should meet the specifications the seller boasts. My biggest fear and why I probably wont order that ali express pack is if they are fake LIFEPO4 cells. If fake then what battery chemistry would they be and how dangerous ?

I could contact the seller. The seller states that the BMS can be customized but at what extra charge ?

• Max continual Discharge Current : 62A ( can be customized)
Untitled2.png

Store info
Name:Shenzhen Foxell Technologies Co., Ltd
Store No. :1100952793
Open since:Sep 19, 2014
Business info
Detailed seller ratings
Item as Described4.6 Above Average
Communication4.6 Above Average
Shipping Speed4.4 Below Average

Yea. It is a big scam for sure. I attempted to contact the seller requesting a full set of specs on the cells and BMS. The email was not recognized so a bogus email contact. They have a phone but not doing that. f*** it.

I guess I will order an active balancer for 10S - LTO and hook up a 10S pack to the two 6S packs already finished which I externally balance.

22S LTO and 45 pounds. Maybe a little more with connecters and wiring. It will power three e bikes.

1. The 27.5" full suspension. rear 1,500W hub. Front 1,000W brush chain.

2. A 20" bike with an 1,800 watt brushless motor.

3. A 20" bike with a 3 kilowatt brushless motor.

Both 20" bikes are rear motors but could upgrade with a 1,000 watt chain up front for the 1,800 watt bike and an 1,800 watt up front of the 3 kilowatt bike. gearing would be 43 mph for 2,800 watts and 56 mph for 4,800 watts.

LTO will push it for sure. LTO cold push an electric motorcycle > 100 mph. Even an electric car. LTO batteries can do 50C discharge easily. Not sure about charge but way more than LIFEPO4.

I talked to a friend of mine in another forum and got some interesting information about charge and discharge for cells that have the chemistry to discharge and charge faster than most..

I am talking about charging up after draining a pack from 70 or 80+% down to < 30 % at a high rate of discharge. When you charge the pack back up and run it again right away you could cause the pack to become seriously imbalanced simply because the BMS AND OR active balancer cant keep up. ; especially if you run it right away after charging. And keep repeating that like on a road trip or a busy day.

The solution then is to get a 5 amp active balancer. Then you can charge at 4 or 5 amps and when it is back up to 80 or 90%, discharge immediately without a calamity. The calamity I am talking about could be as bad as some cells hitting zero volts and perhaps even reverse polarity.

Reverse polarity will cause a BMS or balancer to catch on fire. An active balancer for sure. If the BMS is half way decent it should shut the pack down when a cell goes too low. An active balancer probably not unless it has that added protection. LIFEPO4 and LTO cells will not burn but a BMS or balancer shorting out will.

I hate to say it as not looking to piss you off but this statement just is not true.

"No I didn't forget. What I have been saying is the specs you are being fed are bulls**t. A 48v 20ah pack shouldn't go anywhere remotely near the theoretical or real world max current volumes thrown around here regardless of cell chemistry. Even if they were physically capable of doing it, knowing how heat is the enemy of the various flavors of lithium batteries, you don't burn power in like that to preserve pack life"

That statement holds true for LiPo , Lithium ion and SLA. NOT for LIFEPO4 and LTO.

LIFEPO4 and LTO are very far away from mainstream and will probably eventually ONLY be superseded with solid state or something better.

Today However LTO is the best chemistry available with LIFEPO4 a close second.

I only run LIFEPO4 and LTO and never going backwards to anything else. When solid state batteries are invented I might order them if I have the $.

I just found a 10S active balancer for LTO doing a google search. I also just charged 8S LTO with an active 1.2 amp balancer at 8 amps and the highest cell is > 3V and the lowest 2.4V. YEA. just what I said. Doing a long road trip charging and discharging faster than balancing can and will lead to disaster.

I am looking at 10 amp active balancing AND charging. That goes for LIFEPO4 as well. The golden rule I am making is with high charge and discharge battery packs that really do exist : DO NOT charge faster than you can balance.

> 20 amp active balancing could be possible for a high capacity LIFEPO4 or LTO pack . 50C discharge is about standard for LTO and 20C for LIFEPO4 now. If you don't believe me do some research on it.

LiPo can do 20C or more discharge but only 1 or 2C charge and could make a big fireball. LOL

I get it , not everyone knows about the superior battery chemistries. I have studied it daily for years. I hope to live long enough for solid state battery or better.

The truth is.

Every scientist researching for development and manufacturing wants to make batteries that put out 10 times more charge and discharge. Like a Lishen 18 Ah but the size of a AA battery with same voltage LOL

My educated guess is we will be lucky to develop a technology equal to LIFEPO4 but 1/4 the weight in the next 10 years.

My guess is closer to 15 years at the current rate. Unless somebody really smart makes a major breakthrough.

They built half way decent EV cars in the 70s but battery technology was so far behind it never progressed.

I think LiPo is the greatest energy density per weight so even 5 times it with = > LTO and LIFEPO4 safety specs. will be the next generation of batteries. 10 to 20 years is my guess.

Hey , Anyone reading please post. Even if we disagree on something lets still be friends.

Please post.

Thanks for posting.

Curtis out.

Thank you. You have helped me as I am not going to get robbed by those assholes in the far east.

The fact is however I really do not need 55V of LTO which weighs way too much for daily commute. Maybe on a 20 mile trip so for up to 10 miles 10 Ah of Headway should work. If they really are brand new and have the capacity rated I could buy 16 more in November and wait until December to order the 700c 1,500W kit.

Untitled4.png

32 of those will weigh a little over 23 pounds. I did the conversion from grams to pounds on google. 25 pounds tops with the hardware and an enclosure. That is acceptable. Way better than close to 50 pounds.

Maybe in a month. This month I will order three 5 amp active balancers and charger for the LTOs. Two 6S and a 10S for 22S and 55V. I will order 22 inline fuse holders with 10 amp fuses. One for each balance wire. The charger will only be 4 amp as charging faster than balancing is gambling with disaster. The fuses will add protection to the balancers just in case. It will all run around $150.

I might order those 25 Ah TOPBAND prismatic cells made in the USA instead of the Headway. Not sure. I have two 700c bikes both worth about $900. Before spring I would like a 1,500W kit on each. They will both run LIFEPO4 that weigh around 25 pounds. NOT 50 pound LTO.

9:23 PM

I ended up ordering a 10S active balancer for LTO which was about $37 from Amazon. The 10 pack of 10 amp fuses with holders was $13. I also ordered a 28V charger for the 10S pack and a separate 33.6V for the 12S pack.

10 * 2.8 = 28V. 12 * 2.8 = 33.6V

The reason why I did not order the 58.8V charger for 22S - 55V is because the two 6S LTO packs balanced perfectly with my external balancers when I charged at 4S LiPo

4.2 * 4 = 16.8 / 6 = 2.8.

The 6S LTO packs already have 5 amp fuses I think. I can still charge and run 55V or run them separate for 25V or 30V.
I still plan on upgrading the two 6S packs to 10 amp fuses and 5 amp active balancers later on when I do order the 58.8V 4 amp charger for charging on the road. but for now they will run just fine and did not spend much over $100.

I now have the option of ordering two of those 24V 900 watt Currie motors. I will also need a mini Kelly controller that will do 50 amps continuous. Since LTO will last almost forever and I usually only do short trips < 10 miles running LTO exclusively is perfect for that.

Then I can save my 17S LIFEPO4 for longer trips. They will be back up for whatever new 16S LIFEPO4 I end up ordering in the future. It just makes sense. I can run the full suspension with the 1,500W hub and 1,000W chain. It will be a heavy beast but will go up almost any hill easily and cruise at 30+ mph for miles without over heating.

I can also run my 1,800W brushless motor and maybe even throw a 1,000W chain up front.

The same goes for the 3 kilowatt motor as even though LTO is very heavy it will have no problems putting out the amps for two or even three motors > 30 amps. The ring terminals with 10 gauge wire will need an upgrade for > 50 amps. I will simply double them up.

Thanks.

Curtis out.

Back