Ah compatibility

R4yD8R

Local time
6:52 AM
Greetings, I assume this has already been discussed but I did a search and wasn't able to find exactly what I'm looking for. I have a 500 watt rear hub motor from a cheap Amazon conversion kit on an old iron horse mountain bike. The battery I have is listed as 48 volt, 13aH. I have a hard time fitting the battery on the bike frame so I have it mounted on my rear luggage rack which makes it not useful as a luggage rack. I recall seeing a luggage rack where the battery is tucked underneath the actual surface of the rack so that it's still useable as a luggage rack however upon searching I can only find one with a battery included and the only options are 36 volt 20aH or 48 volt, 15aH. So my question is, will the 48 volt, 15aH battery be ok to use with my motor?

From what I've to read it sounds like it should work because the aH rating has to do with how long the battery takes to discharge so if anything should last a bit longer right

You should be okay. It will be like having a slightly larger "fuel tank". Higher AH gives a bit more range, as long as you stick with a 48V which your bike came with it should be fine.

Consider this like a water reservoir (battery) with a pipe (wire) at the bottom that powers a water mill (the motor). If the reservoir is larger (Ah), but not deeper (Voltage), nothing changes in the flow (current), except it will last longer and you will grind more grain (miles).

If the reservoir is also deeper (Voltage) the flow (current) will increase, risking to damage the water mill.

Sweet that's what I had figured from what I had read but just wanted to confirm. I have also found more places that sell racks by themselves but still all for the lower profile battery packs besides the ones for the dual battery rigs. That would sure be nice, I almost want to see if there's a stand alone adapter to add a second battery but my bike is already a tank as it is. It's not bad when the battery is charged but I use public transportation on longer trips and putting it on the rack of the bus or up the steps into the train has become a task with just a single battery with it being on the back with a rear wheel hub motor and it's an older bike from 2003 so it's not exactly a light bike to begin with lol. And if I run out of juice it's a lot harder to pedal than it was before I installed the kit...

Now does anyone have insight into whether I can get a faster charger for the battery pack I have or do I have to get a faster charging battery and charger together. It can take up to 6 hours to fully charge my battery and I don't trust the indicator on either the display or the battery because they both act screwy.

Anyway thanks for the responses and happy trails...

Greetings, I assume this has already been discussed but I did a search and wasn't able to find exactly what I'm looking for. I have a 500 watt rear hub motor from a cheap Amazon conversion kit on an old iron horse mountain bike. The battery I have is listed as 48 volt, 13aH. I have a hard time fitting the battery on the bike frame so I have it mounted on my rear luggage rack which makes it not useful as a luggage rack. I recall seeing a luggage rack where the battery is tucked underneath the actual surface of the rack so that it's still useable as a luggage rack however upon searching I can only find one with a battery included and the only options are 36 volt 20aH or 48 volt, 15aH. So my question is, will the 48 volt, 15aH battery be ok to use with my motor?

From what I've to read it sounds like it should work because the aH rating has to do with how long the battery takes to discharge so if anything should last a bit longer right
Did much the same with my rack. made a plywood platform hung under the rack supported by zip ties to carry a 2nd battery
with a padded cover,

Back