Two E-bikes?

leehop71

Local time
5:51 PM
Does anyone own 2 E-bikes?

I could see someone who enjoys the residential home cruiser bike, but also likes to camp and has a folding e-bike to take camping.

Its common to have different bikes for different specialized tasks. An e-MTB for trails. A cargo bike for shopping and so on. Cycliing enthusiasts have had this sickness lonnnng before the advent of ebikes.

I personally am way past two, as are many, many others.

I personally prefer a 1 computer, 1 cell phone, 1 car, 1 home and 1 ebike policy, trying to find solutions that are as flexible as possible. But I understand that in some cases this is not possible and I have nothing against that.

I have two riders in the home, with very different heights. One is a full size eBike, the other is a smaller step-through folding bike.
If it has a purpose, it gets the space to exist.
Both bikes scaled.jpg

Does anyone own 2 E-bikes?

I could see someone who enjoys the residential home cruiser bike, but also likes to camp and has a folding e-bike to take camping.
I'm afraid I have three and one more on the way, as well as six mBikes.

Justifying them is much easier than storing them all, I find. ;-)

Here's my fleet and how I justified each of them:

eBikes:
  • 2022 Lectric XP Lite - A lightweight folding eBike I can bring with me in any car. My younger daughter also rides this one with me when I take an eBike or when I'm on my road bike and she can't keep up. My older daughter sometimes rides this one too; they both love this one.
  • 2023 Electric Townie GO! 7D - This is a beach cruiser and is my wife's only bike, and my daughters also take it when they can. My wife likes it because she can touch the ground with both feet at stops and still get decent leg extension, since the crankset is located more forward than usual.
  • 2023 Aventon Level.2 - This is my commuter, shopper and workhorse bike. If I could only have one bike, this would be it. It can do just about anything reasonably well. It is slow when pedaled manually due to its 65 lb. weight, but not ridiculously so. Cruising at 13 mph on flat ground is not too much effort.
  • 2023 Juiced HyperScrambler 2 (to arrive late this month) - This is an eMoped that will go 30+ mph if I want, and I plan to run it mostly in the 20-28 mph range on motor only. I'll add passenger foot rests when I can find them and may bring one of the girls along here and there. I plan for this to be my joyriding bike, for when I'm not thinking so much about exercise or don't want to arrive sweaty.
mBikes:
  • 2023 Trek Domane AL3 - American cyclists call it an endurance road bike, Brits call it an all-road bike. This is my road bike that I ride with my local bike club. I'm getting SO much stronger and fitter since I bought this. My effort is rewarded with speed, so it motivates me to push myself and get stronger. My average pace on a solo road bike ride is 15-16 mph. I got back into OK shape with an eBike first, which made me realize I was ready for this.
  • 2017? Trek Verve 3 - Hybrid bike. Trek calls it a "comfort bike", but it still has a forward lean to it. (unlike the Giant comfort bikes) This was my only bike prior to getting into road cycling or eBiking. It has 45 mm tires with some knobs on the edges, but smooth in the middle, so it makes a good do-everything bike. (albeit not too quickly) I have a fenders a rack and a tail bag on it, so it is a good commuter too.
  • 1972 Schwinn Varsity - This was just for fun. I bought it for $40, (good deal!) then spent $200 having it refurbished (bad deal!) and now I have a super-heavy, 1960s road bike that makes me smile with nostalgia every time I look at it.
  • Trek 1000 road bike - Small one, for my smallest daughter to see if she'll take to road cycling like I did. It's at least 20 years old.
  • (2) Trek mountain bikes from probably 10 years ago. My daughters each have one as their all-around bike. The older one rides hers to high school. the younger one rides hers to the park and on rides with me.
Feel free to use me as a bad example when justifying your next bike purchase to your partner. ;)

Its common to have different bikes for different specialized tasks. An e-MTB for trails. A cargo bike for shopping and so on. Cycliing enthusiasts have had this sickness lonnnng before the advent of ebikes.

I personally am way past two, as are many, many others.

No room in the fleet for something simple, light, and easy-rolling?

It seems like you want to make everything into a 2 huge cargo bike…

No room in the fleet for something simple, light, and easy-rolling?

It seems like you want to make everything into a 2 huge cargo bike…
Hopefully you're joking and I just missed the tongue in cheek. Otherwise I think you misunderstand if thats what you think I value in a bike. I've got fast and light bikes, but I seldom ride recreationally, and thats what such bikes are best for. And I love them for that when thats all I am doing.

PXL_20220526_161923060.jpg
IMG_20200105_131657.jpg
IMG_20171105_060915.jpg

None of the above are usable as a bona fide auto replacement, when you do more than just ride for fun or even just to go somewhere.

Today I am carrying a surplus PC, keyboard, rats nest of cabling and a 42" monitor from my office to a residence. This morning on the way in to work I carried a 27 gallon black/yellow Costco bin of old home office junk TO the office. And when I go back home, that now-empty Costco bin will carry a small air compressor and a desktop scanner.

You drive with a passenger seat and a trunk in your car every day whether you use it or not. A bigger bike is normal as a daily driver just like your car is normal with just one driver and an empty back seat.

also, on Monday I found my old size 36 pants fit me now. Down from Size 42 in the Spring. That doesn't happen if I lack the discipline to leave my car in the garage and use a bike instead.

Oh and speaking of light weight, this is my latest 'build'. Actually my first frame up build ever. From 1984 I think. Several ounces over 19 lbs. I am still too heavy to ride it on the street (I weighed 135 when I put it together originally) but its getting daily use on a resistance trainer. If I lose another 30 lbs I'll be able to take it on the street again.

20230815_123242.jpg

Hopefully you're joking and I just missed the tongue in cheek. Otherwise I think you misunderstand if thats what you think I value in a bike. I've got fast and light bikes, but I seldom ride recreationally, and thats what such bikes are best for. And I love them for that when thats all I am doing.

View attachment 11688View attachment 11689View attachment 11690

None of the above are usable as a bona fide auto replacement, when you do more than just ride for fun or even just to go somewhere.

Today I am carrying a surplus PC, keyboard, rats nest of cabling and a 42" monitor from my office to a residence. This morning on the way in to work I carried a 27 gallon black/yellow Costco bin of old home office junk TO the office. And when I go back home, that now-empty Costco bin will carry a small air compressor and a desktop scanner.

You drive with a passenger seat and a trunk in your car every day whether you use it or not. A bigger bike is normal as a daily driver just like your car is normal with just one driver and an empty back seat.

also, on Monday I found my old size 36 pants fit me now. Down from Size 42 in the Spring. That doesn't happen if I lack the discipline to leave my car in the garage and use a bike instead.
<not tongue-in-cheek> The red one qualifies, I guess. (that comment was tongue-in-cheek, hehehe)
The black one doesn't, as it has aggressive knobbies.
The gray one is gone, having been T-boned by a car. (unless I remember incorrectly)</not tongue-in-cheek>

<tongue-in-cheek>I'm just trying help you find room for that "2nd eBike", my man!

Here's how you do it:

1. The Other Bullitt (improved bakfiets)
  2. The Lizzard King (bakfiets) Replaced by The Other Bullitt
  3. The Apostate (slick tires, full suspension, "lightweight")
  4. The Great Pumpkin (fat tire, dual hub drive w/front & rear racks) Gone, replaced by 2Fat
  5. 2Fat (fat tire, Mid+front drive w/front & rear racks)
  6. The Smash (29er, mid-drive, full suspension mountain bike; no racks)
  7. The Stormtrooper (mid drive, fat tire bike w/rear rack only) Gone, replaced by 2Fat
  8. The Mongoose (mid drive fat tire bike w/front & rear racks) Gone, replaced by 2Fat
  9. The Big Fat Dummy (fat tire, long frame cargo bike w/ mid-drive)
Then, you would be down to 5 eBikes. Replace them with:
  • Trek Domane+: Treat yourself to a fast road bike with no luggage pretensions except a flat kit and water bottle. You will find yourself wanting to go for rides just for fun & fitness. 20 mph is quite easy and low drain, due to the overall efficiency of it.
  • Lectric XP Lite: An easy bike to throw in the back of your SUV. Maybe it would even live there...
</tongue-in-cheek>

Yeah. No. :)

You're right the Stump was t-boned and is dead, but I loved that bike for as long as I was able to have it.
<not tongue-in-cheek> The red one qualifies, I guess. (that comment was tongue-in-cheek, hehehe)
The black one doesn't, as it has aggressive knobbies.
What? Thats nuts. A 29er's wagon wheels roll smooth over anything. Thats the fastest street bike I own. And the red one has Maxxis Aggressor knobbies on it now. The Pickups you see in the pic above were too uncertain on anything but pavement. The 2.5(?) Aggressors on it now roll great and they are super comfy compared to those damn double-carcass Pickups. I talked to Schwalbe about their ride harshness and they acknowledged it. Said if you want their durability you have to sacrifice something and comfort is it.

20230629_124726.jpg

<tongue-in-cheek>I'm just trying help you find room for that "2nd eBike", my man!
Here allow me to pass on The Actual Plan
Here's how you do it:
  1. The Other Bullitt (improved bakfiets)
Still the main daily driver when I am at home on the Coast.
  1. The Lizzard King (bakfiets) Replaced by The Other Bullitt
Nope. The two bikes are 160 miles apart. I'm in Fresno all week this week and its my daily driver here. Rode it to work etc. etc. The slightly different setup on the two makes for some interesting learning. Like one has a Kinekt and the other a Thudbuster. Turns out those seatposts each have strengths the other does not share.

When I close down the Fresno location THEN I'll sell it.

1. The Apostate (slick tires, full suspension, "lightweight")
This is a keeper and my traveling bike. Fits easiest in the car. When dropping car off to shop for service this is my ride home. And easy for camping
  1. The Great Pumpkin (fat tire, dual hub drive w/front & rear racks) Gone, replaced by 2Fat
Wrongamundo. This is my only other bike remaining in Fresno... whose flat ground is where hub motors excel. I like riding the Bullitt so much I never ride this one anymore which is a shame as its a fantastic commuter. But like I said before, you get used to having a trunk to just toss stuff into if you decide on the fly to go buy something. Thats something else a big bike gives you: Space to keep a lock on the bike and never notice its there. Plus the green Bullitt with its 52T front chainring can hit 30 mph no problem so its not like I need to ride it to get a speed fix.

I really should sell it.
  1. 2Fat (fat tire, Mid+front drive w/front & rear racks)
This one is at home on the coast but an ill-advised fork swap has kept it grounded for months. I need to spend a weekend swapping it back and changing out the now-wonky front motor with a spare I bought for that purpose.
  1. The Smash (29er, mid-drive, full suspension mountain bike; no racks)
I never ride it, sadly. If I want a light ride its the Apostate, which gives me all the convenience the wagon wheels don't. The wonkiness inherent to the Cyc motor means its not a good candidate for sale. Maybe if I get back into analog riding I put the original crankset back on, because there is NOTHING like this bike for serious singletrack down a hill.
  1. The Stormtrooper (mid drive, fat tire bike w/rear rack only) Gone, replaced by 2Fat
Oh hell no. 2Fat is a monster but the Stormtrooper is a fun little runabout and it is actually quite light weight, with a 12 ah battery and c/f wheels. The mid drive means it can still tackle anything. This bike is more like the Apostate than 2fat.

I've offered it to a friend who is having health issues to try and get him a bike he can use to get out of the house for some exercise.
  1. The Mongoose (mid drive fat tire bike w/front & rear racks) Gone, replaced by 2Fat
Nope. Thats a backup for the Bullitt. You always have to have a backup bike. But I also offered it to the same guy described above and we'll see which one he (hopefully) picks.
  1. The Big Fat Dummy (fat tire, long frame cargo bike w/ mid-drive)
This one I could sell. It truly is out of a job which is a crying shame because I had so much fun with this bike. I rode it everywhere for everything. Its tubeless Showshoe XL tires are worn out and for giggles I have a set of 2XLs waiting for a free weekend to fit on. 90mm deep dish rims and 5.05" tires. I want to see if it can do sand with just one motor in the back (probably not).
Then, you would be down to 5 eBikes. Replace them with:
  • Trek Domane+: Treat yourself to a fast road bike with no luggage pretensions except a flat kit and water bottle. You will find yourself wanting to go for rides just for fun & fitness. 20 mph is quite easy and low drain, due to the overall efficiency of it.
Hell no. I already ride everywhere as it is, and riding to Wal Mart is great for fun and fitness. Especially where a recreational trail along coastal dunes is the only way to get there.
  • Lectric XP Lite: An easy bike to throw in the back of your SUV. Maybe it would even live there...
</tongue-in-cheek>
omigod no. :) Thats a tourist rental bike. May as well have a "Clueless Schmuck" sign hanging around your neck. At least in these parts. Lectric is now offering a bike without the circus-clown proportions but given the raw miles and all-weather use, I won't do bottom of the line.

I'm pretty much done building bikes. I have more than what I need even if I sell some of them. All the bases covered as it is. If I was going to buy a bike... Maybe a Luna X1 or something along those lines... but wtf am I gaining over the FS Apostate other than a lighter wallet? I've got what I want and I can focus on just riding now. No more projects needed.

Back