!! Solar and EV Charging For Ebikes Thread !!

Hozer

Local time
1:04 AM
Video: on how to use solar to charge Ebike

=========

EV Charging stations for Ebikes!

===========

Solar MPPT BOOSTERS Controllers:

I plan to use the 600 watt version. I have both Solar on my home and have a 220 watt solar panels for camping.

Amazon 600 watt Version ( 600 watts input max solar )

Walmart 300 Watt Version ( 300 watts input max solar )

I hope this helps!! ;)

Side note: Would be nice if this was a sticky ;)

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
On this solar charging for a ebike. What happens if the solar panels are making more power than you require to charge the ebike battery. What happens to the extra power/wattage that is not used? Does it burn your mppt controller or solar panels? Possibly your battery?

Thanks.

On this solar charging for a ebike. What happens if the solar panels are making more power than you require to charge the ebike battery. What happens to the extra power/wattage that is not used? Does it burn your mppt controller or solar panels? Possibly your battery?

Thanks.
That depends on your controller. Most controllers have a limit. Example: On my 6500 watt solar system my mttp controller max solar input max is 800 watts. That is why I have 2-400 watt solar panels.

As far as the ebike goes you should never input more wattage than your MTTP controller and your charger can handle. Otherwise your just asking for trouble! IE: Possible Battery fire!

That depends on your controller. Most controllers have a limit. Example: On my 6500 watt solar system I have the mttp controller max solar input max is 800 watts. That is why I have 2-400 watt solar panels.

As far as the ebike goes you should never input more wattage than your MTTP controller and your charger can handle.
Yeah I would like to put something like this together to charge my 48v ebike on bikepacking/camping trips. I would like to use 2 of 100watt folding solar panels. Amazon has a 80watt 48volt ebike solar charger kit, but seems high priced @ over $200.

OK here is my suggestion:

Do not use a standard MTTP controller for charging your ebike. It will not work! Why! your 48v battery is a 54.6v. You need a MTTP Controller Booster. Since you have 200 watts of solar I would suggest you get a 300 watt MTTP BOOSTER Controller. Then all you have to do is set the MTTP Controller Booster to 54.6v on the controller then wire it to your battery. See the video above.

Hope that helps :)

OK here is my suggestion:

Do not use a standard MTTP controller for charging your ebike. It will not work! Why! your 48v battery is a 54.6v. You need a MTTP Controller Booster. Since you have 200 watts of solar I would suggest you get a 300 watt MTTP BOOSTER Controller. Then all you have to do is set the MTTP Controller Booster to 54.6v on the controller then wire it to your battery. See the video above.

Hope that helps :)
Thanks I appreciate it. Would this controller work for me?
Screenshot_20231026-015010_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20231026-015106_Chrome.jpg

What's nice is the ability to charge e bikes while boon dock camping. We have a modest 350 watts of solar on our trailer, but 2.7 kwh of usable battery capacity and a 1.5 kw inverter. We can charge our 672 and 840 wh batteries and ride every day. In '20 we boondocked at the Chicago Marshalling yard and rode all up and down the lake and adjacent downtown.

Thanks.

Reference 48 volt batteries.
#1. Your solar panels will never over charge your ebike battery! Example: A 100 watt open circuit voltage is around 24 volts. You will never input 24 volts. Most input is 12 volts. Now if you have a solar generator for your solar panels just plug in your charger into your solar generator. Works for me!

I go camping alot. I use this genny for my reffer cooler and and my phone and some lites and now my ebike battery

My setup:

Solar panel: I have a 220 watt bi-facial solar panels.
Solar Generator: River 2 Pro 768 watts

https://us.ecoflow.com/products/river-2-pro-portable-power-station?variant=40563653378121

Hope that helps

Back