First Build Brainstorming

George Jetson

Local time
7:12 PM
Considering a custom build around a 24” 1962 Schwinn Typhoon straight-bar frame. It’ll be used on paved or light gravel bike paths, car shows, race pits etc. No real “off road.” Like the idea of a mid-drive kit, I want cranks and pedals, and I’d be happy with a legit 25-30 mph. I’ll be doing most of the work myself, I have no idea what I’m doing, but I’m fortunate to have access to a lot of mechanical talent and a bunch of tools. I guess my first question would be does someone make a mid kit for old Schwinn slash vintage American crank housings? Thanks for humoring me.

G. Jetson

EE88B13E-E24B-497E-965A-463E2728E6FA.jpeg

Congrats. I hope to see this build come along. I've been wanting to do something along them lines as well. Hope to see more.

A 1000watt mid drive, a sturmey archer 5 speed IGH rear wheel. Also a gates carbon belt drive would look nice on it.

I think for the front wheel assembly a sturmey archer dynamo drum brake would look right at home on a build like this.
A drum up front would be cool. Currently have some 28h S2 rims, white with black pinstripes and about the same level of corrosion as the frame - hope I can use ‘em. Rusty vintage parts are a must on this build.

A drum up front would be cool. Currently have some 28h S2 rims, white with black pinstripes and about the same level of corrosion as the frame - hope I can use ‘em. Rusty vintage parts are a must on this build.
Yes I believe you can get a 28, 32, & 36, spoke drum brake hubs. If a guy could find a original S2 drum brake assembly would be even cooler.

Back