F@#%

biknut

Local time
9:04 AM
Nailed again
20240227_125351.jpg

I took this opportunity to take care of some maintenance I've been putting off for a while. It's been 2 or 3 years since I squirted any grease in the VBoxx. You're supposed to do it once a year. I don't pedal much so I don't think I need to do it as often. I replaced the rear brake pads. Even though that tire only had a few hundred miles on it, I replaced the tire, and tube anyway. I thought I heard a couple of spokes tinking going around a corner, so I went over all the spokes. I also put 10oz of slime in the tire.
20240227_182815.jpg

I'm going to start carrying one of those Co2 tire inflators with me. Probably a pair of needle nose pliers too, because in this case I couldn't pull the nail out with my fingers.

I'm going to start carrying one of those Co2 tire inflators with me. Probably a pair of needle nose pliers too, because in this case I couldn't pull the nail out with my fingers.
Did it go in the sidewall of the tire? From the pic it looks to be on the side of your tire. FN hookworms are not cheap. So I feel the pain.
Yeah I finally broke down & bought a cordless air compressor to carry along.

Did it go in the sidewall of the tire? From the pic it looks to be on the side of your tire. FN hookworms are not cheap. So I feel the pain.
Yeah I finally broke down & bought a cordless air compressor to carry along.
No, it didn't come out the sidewall this time. It was right in the middle of the tire. The nail apparently punctured the tire with the blunt end first. The pointy end was barely sticking out. I was on a paved city trail out in the middle of a wooded area. How a nail that size ended up there we'll never know. I run a lot of slime in my tires. If I would of had a pair of pliers to pull the nail out, and a way to fill the tire back up, I probably would of been able to ride home. The best part is 30 minutes earlier I was 15 miles from home, so thank God for small miracles.

No, it didn't come out the sidewall this time. It was right in the middle of the tire. The nail apparently punctured the tire with the blunt end first. The pointy end was barely sticking out. I was on a paved city trail out in the middle of a wooded area. How a nail that size ended up there we'll never know. I run a lot of slime in my tires. If I would of had a pair of pliers to pull the nail out, and a way to fill the tire back up, I probably would of been able to ride home. The best part is 30 minutes earlier I was 15 miles from home, so thank God for small miracles.
That nail probably came out of someone else's bike tire & you just happen to be the unlucky 1 to pick it back up in your bike tire.

I took this opportunity to take care of some maintenance I've been putting off for a while. It's been 2 or 3 years since I squirted any grease in the VBoxx. You're supposed to do it once a year. I don't pedal much so I don't think I need to do it as often. I replaced the rear brake pads. Even though that tire only had a few hundred miles on it, I replaced the tire, and tube anyway. I thought I heard a couple of spokes tinking going around a corner, so I went over all the spokes. I also put 10oz of slime in the tire.
View attachment 13472

Yesterday I went back and inspected the trail where this happened, and I couldn't find any other nails. I was so lucky to find the only 3" nail on a 10' wide paved trail.
Blessed lol

You nutty nail picker upper bro!!

Ride Safe! :cool:

I normally have good luck with slime. I got a flat on my fatty when a thin piece of metal stuck in it. It was easy to pull it out of the tire, which you have to do in order for the slime to seal. It happened by chance right next to a gas station with air. I filled the tire back up thinking maybe I could make it at least part of the way home before it deflated. 2 weeks later it still hadn't lost any air. Something like that has happened more than once, but it doesn't do you much good when you can't fill the tire back up. I just ordered one of these.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Back