Change a "Class 2" to a "Class 1"

swamppanther

Local time
8:39 AM
"Only Class 1 electric bicycles may be used on WMAs under the same rules that apply to traditional, non-motorized bicycles. Class 2, Class 3, and unclassified electric bicycles may be operated only on WMA roads or trails open to other motorized vehicles.

Electric bicycles and their 3 classifications are defined in Section 316.003 F. S. as:

ELECTRIC BICYCLE —A bicycle or tricycle equipped with fully operable pedals, a seat or saddle for the use of the rider, and an electric motor of less than 750 watts which meets the requirements of one of the following three classifications:

(a) "Class 1 electric bicycle" means an electric bicycle equipped with a motor that provides assistance only when the rider is pedaling and that ceases to provide assistance when the electric bicycle reaches the speed of 20 miles per hour.
(b) "Class 2 electric bicycle" means an electric bicycle equipped with a motor that may be used exclusively to propel the electric bicycle and that ceases to provide assistance when the electric bicycle reaches the speed of 20 miles per hour.
(c) "Class 3 electric bicycle" means an electric bicycle equipped with a motor that provides assistance only when the rider is pedaling and that ceases to provide assistance when the electric bicycle reaches the speed of 28 miles per hour."

Above is from Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission Website. A WMA is a Wildlife Managment
Area.

As the reason I bought an Ebike was partly because of hunting, can I disconnect "throttle" and be Class 1?

Lots of firebreaks and old trails would be out of bounds.

I have a Rambo Savage 26"/750/3 speed/20mph. It has pedal assist and throttle. Suppose to be class 2

What is the difficulty level if I disconnect throttle on a temp basis?

This is a question I've been contemplating, albeit for somewhat different reasons. I recently purchased an Evelo Omega. It checked off all the boxes for my criteria, but I have zero interest in throttles, especially for a mid-drive torque sensing e-bike. I know I can manually disconnect the throttle, but I'm not sure that serves any real purpose, as I would also have to paint over the Class 2 label, and I'm not thrilled about that. I also do not want to run afoul of potential trail compliance regulations, but I'm not sure doing the aforementioned (unplugging and painting) changes the bikes Class 2 status.

Ask the manufacturer. This is one mod they'd probably be OK with.

Is your throttle attached to the harness with a plug, or permanently wired in? If it's a plug, it's probably as simple as unplugging it and taping over the empty connector.

The Engwe bikes sold in Europe comes with throttle that is disabled in the computer. This seems to be legal here.

The Engwe bikes sold in Europe comes with throttle that is disabled in the computer. This seems to be legal here.
A friend has a Lectric XP that has a menu function to disable the throttle. I'm not sure that actually changes the vehicle class though. I'm thinking specifically of a relatively nearby bike path that expressly prohibits Class 2 e-bikes. I don't know if it's enforced though as a practical matter, especially if the rider doesn't use it.
My bike does have a wire harness so I can disconnect it that way, assuming I don't f--- it up and pull the wrong wires (not hard to do given the wire-spaghetti nature of the harness). I'm inclined now to just leave it alone. If need be, I can tell a law enforcement officer that my fingerprints are not on the throttle switch. :rolleyes:

I didn’t realize you could use bikes electric or manual off roads designated for vehicles in FL WMAs. Good to know. Is that all WMAs or just certain ones? Can’t use them in national forest WMAs
I like the throttle to get me started, though rarely use it when riding.

"Only Class 1 electric bicycles may be used on WMAs under the same rules that apply to traditional, non-motorized bicycles. Class 2, Class 3, and unclassified electric bicycles may be operated only on WMA roads or trails open to other motorized vehicles.

Electric bicycles and their 3 classifications are defined in Section 316.003 F. S. as:

ELECTRIC BICYCLE —A bicycle or tricycle equipped with fully operable pedals, a seat or saddle for the use of the rider, and an electric motor of less than 750 watts which meets the requirements of one of the following three classifications:

(a) "Class 1 electric bicycle" means an electric bicycle equipped with a motor that provides assistance only when the rider is pedaling and that ceases to provide assistance when the electric bicycle reaches the speed of 20 miles per hour.
(b) "Class 2 electric bicycle" means an electric bicycle equipped with a motor that may be used exclusively to propel the electric bicycle and that ceases to provide assistance when the electric bicycle reaches the speed of 20 miles per hour.
(c) "Class 3 electric bicycle" means an electric bicycle equipped with a motor that provides assistance only when the rider is pedaling and that ceases to provide assistance when the electric bicycle reaches the speed of 28 miles per hour."

Above is from Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission Website. A WMA is a Wildlife Managment
Area.

As the reason I bought an Ebike was partly because of hunting, can I disconnect "throttle" and be Class 1?

Lots of firebreaks and old trails would be out of bounds.

I have a Rambo Savage 26"/750/3 speed/20mph. It has pedal assist and throttle. Suppose to be class 2

What is the difficulty level if I disconnect throttle on a temp basis?
§4.30 Bicycles Here (added info Big Cypress National "PRESERVE" not Park! for anyone interested)
Bicycles and electric bicycles are allowed on Preserve roads and in parking areas that are open to motor vehicle use by the public; and on the following trails:

• Designated ORV trails
  • Bear Island Grade including within the addition lands
  • Fire Prairie Trail
  • Noble's Grade Trail
Determination: Bicycles are allowed on Preserve roads and in parking areas under 36 CFR 4.30(a).

The Superintendent designated ORV trails, Bear Island Grade, Fire Prairie Trail, and Noble's Grade Trail for bicycle use in 2021 after a planning process that evaluated the impacts of bicycle use on the trail pursuant to 36 CFR 4.30.

On 09/29/2021, the Superintendent designated Preserve roads and parking areas, ORV trails, Bear Island Grade, Fire Prairie Trail, and Noble's Grade Trail as open to electric bicycles using the discretionary authority given to the Superintendent under 36 CFR 4.30(i).

Allowing electrical bicycles on public roads and in parking areas will create new opportunities for recreation and access within the Preserve. It will not create any adverse impacts to Preserve visitors, resources, or values due to the existing use of these locations by motor vehicles and bicycles. This action is covered by the categorical exclusion 3.2E in the NPS NEPA Handbook.

ORV Trails in BigCypress are two types primary and secondary. The secondary trails have been closed since 2014 for a "STUDY".

I was wondering when it sez "ORV Trails" they include secondary (closed to motor vehicles) trails? Anyone know? In the past you could
take a bike anywhere you wanted.

In terms of legality, there is a precedent for this.

If a vehicle can exist in two states, in this case class 1 or class 2, then IF the upgrade or modification can be made while in motion and/or on the road, then it is considered to ALWAYS be in the upgraded or modified state.

If the upgrade or modification MUST be made while the vehicle is stopped and/or off the road, then it IS considered to be a member of the non-upgraded class while actually in motion and/or on the road, with the mod not in use.

The precedent I am familiar with is for variable exhaust cut-outs for cars, legal for off-road but NOT on public roads. You could have one that could be easily changed and that was legal for the street (as long as it was not engaged), BUT if you had an interior switch or lever to do it while in motion and on the road, then you had an illegal road vehicle.

So remove the throttle and do not carry it with you. A menu disable with a throttle attached would not qualify, if the judge decides to follow previous rulings.

Follow up
Rambo Bikes advises. . . .
"Yes, you can disconnect the throttle to utilize the bike as a class 1 e-bike. The only thing you will notice is an error code 04 - this is just indicating a throttle issue.

Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns! We can also be reached at (952) 283-0777 Mon-Fri from 8am-430pm CST.

Thank you,

Rambo Bikes
Customer Support Resolution"

Next day response by the way:giggle:

Read carefully.

Can you "utilize" it as a class one? Sure.

Will an officer of the law, or a judge, consider it to be a class one and avoid possible fines and confiscation?
Do make sure and let us know.

Interesting.
I haven't looked at my class2 bike but my class1 has a label that states this is a class1 bike. That includes the motor KW also.
"If" I was challenged I would guess that's how someone would be able to tell the difference.

Now that brings up the question, "if" a class2 bike is labeled class2, how would someone know beyond a shadow of a doubt, its a class1, just because you removed the throttle?

The response from Rambo seems more like "Yes, you can ride it like a class1". Not "It is now a class1 bike"

I have never been challenged. One of my buddies told me there's an area near me that only allows class1 in the park. I don't know how they check. I assume they look at the label. I say this because it wouldn't be hard for me to remove the throttle from my class2.

Back