You don't think these batteries from China have no standards and will explode burning your house down?

Amid fire concern, NYC banning sale of electric bikes without UL-listed batteries

"So yes, I definitely support the idea of improved e-bike safety. But let’s all keep the scope of this problem in perspective.
At risk of some type of moral relativism here, I’d say there are some significantly bigger threats to public safety rolling around that we could be committing this type of energy and legislation toward fixing.
Around 300 pedestrians are killed by cars in NYC every year.
So far this year NYC has reported two deaths from e-bike fires. While each is a tragedy, the difference in scale is obvious."
I totally agree.......the politicians want to show how much they are doing....so they take on easy projects then tell us how much they are helping us.....meanwhile......we have a mass murder every other day and they look the other way.....money controls their actions.

Why Fox News wants you to be afraid of electric bikes
:giggle:

A line in that article caught my attention:

They’re helping replace the tired image of Americans driving their single-occupant SUVs a mile down the road for a gallon of milk.

That line caught my attention because before I got my ebike, I was that American driving to the corner store in my gas guzzling SUV for a gallon of milk. Now I hop on my ebike and enjoy the trip along the way.

I said it many times last year, and I don’t mind reiterating, buying an ebike was one of the best purchasing decisions I’ve ever made.

Am I wrong to blow off my ebike with my gas powered Stilhl yard blower......sometimes I just feel so guilty but the ebike looks great!

Speaking of the environment.....

I told my friend that he really shouldn't be using a straw and he replied, "Yeah, I know, I know, it's bad for the environment." I said, "Sure, there's that..."​

"But it's just a really weird way of eating spaghetti."

Chinese batteries are fine if you buy directly from the manufacturer. One little known fact about Chinese products is that a lot of actually high quality stuff is made in China, but because of lax regulations on manufacturing and especially on exported goods, you get a lot of "resellers" and "off-brand" companies that in some cases will literally take the defective products of a quality supplier, rebrand them, and sell them cheap.
I'm not saying any Chinese battery will be as good as Samsung, of course not. Samsung is basically THE technology leader of today in many, many, many markets. OLED screens, computer chips, batteries, and i'm surew a ton of other things. But there are Chinese batteries that are probably just as good as EM3EV. Just find a highly rated manufacturer, NB Power is one that I know of. You can be sure it is the OEM supplier because they will allow you to contact them for custom orders. If you need certain specs they will do it for you, and you can pay them directly over Paypal, they will even send you pics of the finished product to confirm the details are correct before shipping. Going that route is expensive, but the thing is, batteries are expensive. If your battery is significantly cheaper than a similarly spec'd battery from another reputable company, it's almost certainly defective, or refurbished and rebranded from some shadey reseller. A good Chinese battery will be cheaper than Samsung, but not by a lot. You might save $100 or so depending on the power/size.

Then follow the basic rules. Protect it, keep it in a sturdy, ventilated, padded case. Use a timer with your charger, even if it has a cutoff it can't hurt to have a physical timer switch as well. If you know it takes 4 hours to charge, plug it in and set the timer to 4 hours. Try not to ride in extreme heat. And don't leave the battery outside in extreme cold. Waterproof your plugs and try to avoid riding in the rain too. And obviously try not to damage the battery by crashing or hitting it with something. And don't try to open it. Some of this may be obvious, but maybe not to some people.

At work we have these fireproof boxes for batteries etc. Just buy one that is long and skinny and stack them in there. Done !

Back