Winter eBike Battery Storage

Dsherm112

Local time
10:02 PM
I just put my Trek Verve +2 in winter storage. How do I handle the battery. Do I put it on charge for the winter or leave it off?

Last edited by a moderator:
check out this link.

That article is funny, and liberal as hell. "Costing you and the environment extra wasted electricity" LMAO, like they slow down the nuclear reactor when i unplug my ebike charger.

Usually for storing for periods of 3 months or less the battery can be fully charged and left. For longer periods the usual recommendation is to take the state of charge down to 50% SOC with the battery. But there are at least three different types of "lithium" batteries being used on e-bikes. There are lithium-ion, lithium cobalt manganese, and lithium nickel cobalt aluminum. There are also lithium iron phosphate that tend to be much higher capacity batteries although far less expensive than what the bike manufacturers are selling theirs for to customers.

A top quality lithium iron phosphate 20 Ah battery sells for less than $200 whereas a Rad Power 14 Ah battery sells for more than $500.

Usually for storing for periods of 3 months or less the battery can be fully charged and left. For longer periods the usual recommendation is to take the state of charge down to 50% SOC with the battery. But there are at least three different types of "lithium" batteries being used on e-bikes. There are lithium-ion, lithium cobalt manganese, and lithium nickel cobalt aluminum. There are also lithium iron phosphate that tend to be much higher capacity batteries although far less expensive than what the bike manufacturers are selling theirs for to customers.

A top quality lithium iron phosphate 20 Ah battery sells for less than $200 whereas a Rad Power 14 Ah battery sells for more than $500.
Please please link to these top quality iron phosphate 20ah batteries.

16 Ah for $116 shows how much profit margin there is when ebike manufacturers put LG or Panasonic batteries into their container and sell a 14 Ah battery pack for $500 or more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Back