Why does a 1000w rear hub feel more powerful than a 1000w front hub?

randerie

Local time
12:55 AM
does anyone have any idea why my rear 1000w thumb throttle hub motor seems so much more powerful than my front twist throttle 1000w hub motor ?
they both have the same top speed, but the rear hub motor gets to top speed twice as fast as the front hub motor.
i tried changing the front controller to a brainpower 1500w 50a controller but it made no difference.

In theory they should both have the same power and acceleration. Is it a different brand motor? If it is then I'm assuming it could just be differences in the build quality of the motors. Are the motors attached to the same ebike?

Anton, thanks for the reply. they are both on the same bike and are different brand motors. the front has a twist throttle and the rear has a thumb
throttle. i don;t think that should make any difference. i thought maybe they purposely tone down the front wheel so the bike doesn't get too squirrelly.

So, two DIFFERENT motors from two DIFFERENT companies, perform, uh, differently, and you are surprised by this?????

There are a HELL of a lot of specs to check on the motor and the controller that affect acceleration and hill climbing, other than the sustained power they can handle without melting, which is all the wattage rating means.

First, there is Turn Count, which relates to Kv rating, which is "how many RPMs per volt". Then there is amp rating of the controller, then the amp rating in burst or short-term mode. This is most likely the main part of the difference.

Also, if you carefully browse some adds, you will often find the identical motor sold as both a "1000 watt" AND a "1500 watt" motor. No difference whatsoever, "sustained" can mean different things to different people.

The type of throttle is largely meaningless.

does anyone have any idea why my rear 1000w thumb throttle hub motor seems so much more powerful than my front twist throttle 1000w hub motor ?
they both have the same top speed, but the rear hub motor gets to top speed twice as fast as the front hub motor.
i tried changing the front controller to a brainpower 1500w 50a controller but it made no difference.
It's a bit like two automobiles with the same horsepower and torque, one with front wheel drove and the other with rear wheel drive. The rear wheel drive will always be quicker off the line because of weight transfer. When you accelerate a vehicle - any vehicle - from a standstill the weight of the vehicle is transferred rearward at launch. On a rear wheel drive vehicle this INCREASES traction on the wheel putting torque to the pavement so the launch is quick. In a front wheel drive vehicle the wheel responsible for transferring torque to the pavement has DECREASED traction and launches with less force. Once underway, steady-state, the two will be similar. That's what all ultra high performance cars are rear wheel biased, even if AWD.

The difference is being pushed by the motor as opposed to being pulled by the motor. There is a difference in session for both of those configurations. Also typically the front motor doesn't have the same amount of traction that the rear motor does so energy is being wasted on slippage.

Back