Who knows ebike motors? Hot motor pics!

eeebike

Local time
7:40 PM
Hello fellow ebikers. My ebike hub motor overheated during a long off road hill climb and lost power then stopped. I have now learned to avoid furure big hill climbs.
I pulled the motor (48v 1000w) apart the next day and found this ( pics below ).
I was going to replace the hall sensor, but the heat damage maybe too much to the windings causing future issues. What do you people think?
Repair or replace? And can I just replace the internal motor, or do I need the motor housing as well? What is a good motor to get that wont hurt the wallet too much? And would the new motor fit the wheel I have or would I need a new wheel? In other words what would an experienced ebiker
20230504_141916.jpg
20230504_160107.jpg
do?

Attachments

• 20230504_160145.jpg
    20230504_160145.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 87
  • 20230504_160359.jpg
    20230504_160359.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 91
I'd just replace the whole thing and work on that one on me spare time.

I've bought one of these and they are pretty nice with a sabvaton 45 amp controller and a simple SW900 display makes for a peppy
hub motor.

Welcome to the forums by the way :cool:

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.

I've bought one of these and they are pretty nice with a sabvaton 45 amp controller and a simple SW900 display makes for a peppy
hub motor.

Thanks for the advice.
Also the bike has a 29ah li-ion batt. And a 30amp controller. I was hoping I could just replace the motor, as a kit seems like unnecessary expense. I got it used a couple of weeks ago, as a first ebike. Its been fun so far.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.

hub motor.

Thankyou.
I have been reading alot about ebike electronics in the last 24hrs and I now realise I am limited by the battery? Battery is 35amp (pic below). I was looking to get a 1500w or 2000w DD hub, with a 48V Sabvoton Sine-wave 45A dual mode Controller. But after some reading, the battery cant handle it? Unless I can tune the controller to 35amp or is 30amp the safe limit IDK about tuning? Still trying to work out a motor replacement or upgrade without a new battery20230506_162449.jpg

Yeah that kit will drain a battery fast if it isnt a huge one.

That kit i posted above will eat a 48v battery up very quickly.

Have you looked at Voilamart 1500w kit?

You really just want to write off that motor and, really the wheel too. Thats a single-wall fat bike wheel which is not particularly valuable and not expensive. If you put in a different motor - which you have to do - you will have to restring it with new spokes unless you hit the lottery (you won't) and the spokes needed are the same length.

If it were me, I'd do a wheel with a geared Bafang fat hub, coupled to a 35a KT controller. Then you dial back the controller by 10% or even 15% so you never trip your 35a BMS limit. A 48v battery mated to a 36a controller is going to be peaking at almost 2000w (54.6v x 35a = 1911w). Dialed back the full 15% you get 54.6v * 29.75a = 1624w. The use of a geared hub will probably double your acceleration.

I see a complete kit for NZ$ 550. Includes motor strung into wheel, controller, display, wiring harness, PAS sensor... the works. Probably more than you want to spend though. If you do decide to go there I would certainly do more research. I have bought from this seller with no issues but I have heard of others who were not so lucky. The controller they sell is not going to be as pwerful as the one I describe.

Hello fellow ebikers. My ebike hub motor overheated during a long off road hill climb and lost power then stopped. I have now learned to avoid furure big hill climbs.
I pulled the motor (48v 1000w) apart the next day and found this ( pics below ).
I was going to replace the hall sensor, but the heat damage maybe too much to the windings causing future issues. What do you people think?
Repair or replace? And can I just replace the internal motor, or do I need the motor housing as well? What is a good motor to get that wont hurt the wallet too much? And would the new motor fit the wheel I have or would I need a new wheel? In other words what would an experienced ebikerView attachment 8753View attachment 8752 do?
Lookin g at the windings of this motor I'm not impressed. I would suggest buying a better motor from know good source and having laced into you wheel or you could replace the entire motor/wheel assembly. Keep in mind you should also replace the controller and display.

Depending the cost of the orginal bike you may be better off buying a new bike than trying to repair this one.

hub motor.

Welcome to the forums by

hub motor.

hub motor.

Hi,
I like the ebay nb hub kit you suggested, but can I turn the sabvaton 45 amp controller down to 30-35amp due to the battery max being 35amp draw?

I agree and thank people for suggesting replacing the whole kit, (the old kit pedal assist never functioned correctly) except the battery which has better capacity than I expected (70-80km mixed riding).
I also thank people for their kit suggestions.
I have decided to get another hub motor, as I like the silent ride, and a geared hub 'hum' could be irritating when the gears are wearing out. I will be more careful not to try massive mountain climbs ♨️ in the future when I get a new hub motor.

Yeah that kit will drain a battery fast if it isnt a huge one.

That kit i posted above will eat a 48v battery up very quickly.

Have you looked at Voilamart 1500w kit?

Yes, but there are mixed reviews. The bad reviews made me weary. I like the first kit you suggested as long as I can tune sabvaton 45 amp controller to match battery output 35amp?

Nope ...you cannot Tune that particular controller in that kit i linked above.

What i mean is it was tuned by the seller, but now the USB wire that is used to attach the wireless usb module device
does not seem to be there anymore.

So, either you get a different controller with the tuning capabilities or you ask that seller if they would tune their controller to your specs.

I already went through that and i went ahead and bought a sabvaton controller with the usb bluetooth module to get into the
settings with the MQCON app.

Mixxed reviews about what? That Voilamart link?

Yeah he got some bad reviews. I only suggested that one, since i have had the 1500w kit from him on a walmart schwinn
since 2019 and the only problem i had was when i rode in the rain some condensation/water ingress happened and blew some stuff inside,
so i replaced the controller.

If i were in your shoes, i'd get/do as @m@Robertson suggests.
Those KT controllers are very tunable and i'd almost bet it'd be more along the lines of your wants/needs ;)

Nope ...you cannot Tune that particular controller in that kit i linked above.

What i mean is it was tuned by the seller, but now the USB wire that is used to attach the wireless usb module device
does not seem to be there anymore.

So, either you get a different controller with the tuning capabilities or you ask that seller if they would tune their controller to your specs.

I already went through that and i went ahead and bought a sabvaton controller with the usb bluetooth module to get into the
settings with the MQCON app.

Mixxed reviews about what? That Voilamart link?

Yeah he got some bad reviews. I only suggested that one, since i have had the 1500w kit from him on a walmart schwinn
since 2019 and the only problem i had was when i rode in the rain some condensation/water ingress happened and blew some stuff inside,
so i replaced the controller.
Sorry I meant I watched some reviews on the voilamart motors and most people were happy with them, but some had problems and said they wouldn't recommend. Shame I cant tune the controller in the other nb kit you first suggested.
The range of controllers and motors and matching of components is quite frustrating, I just dont want to get a rubbish controller or motor at this stage but do want to stay away from geared hubs due to noise and maintenance.

You really just want to write off that motor and, really the wheel too. Thats a single-wall fat bike wheel which is not particularly valuable and not expensive. If you put in a different motor - which you have to do - you will have to restring it with new spokes unless you hit the lottery (you won't) and the spokes needed are the same length.

If it were me, I'd do a wheel with a geared Bafang fat hub, coupled to a 35a KT controller. Then you dial back the controller by 10% or even 15% so you never trip your 35a BMS limit. A 48v battery mated to a 36a controller is going to be peaking at almost 2000w (54.6v x 35a = 1911w). Dialed back the full 15% you get 54.6v * 29.75a = 1624w. The use of a geared hub will probably double your acceleration.

I see a complete kit for NZ$ 550. Includes motor strung into wheel, controller, display, wiring harness, PAS sensor... the works. Probably more than you want to spend though. If you do decide to go there I would certainly do more research. I have bought from this seller with no issues but I have heard of others who were not so lucky. The controller they sell is not going to be as pwerful as the one I describe.

I went to order this kit to see what the total would be with shipping. Unfortunately they dont ship this kit to New Zealand. Thanks for your suggestion

If i were in your shoes, i'd get/do as @m@Robertson suggests.
Those KT controllers are very tunable and i'd almost bet it'd be more along the lines of your wants/needs ;)
I went to order this kit to see what the total would be with shipping. Unfortunately they dont ship this kit to New Zealand. Thanks for your suggestion

Totally understandable mate :)

This may work?

or

or possibly

:unsure:

Hope that helps :)

Update: I have measured my dropout at 180cm, the kits I have looked at say 170cm or 190cm. I will see if I can measure the dropout size from my disassembled hub motor later today .

Back