Which motor

cjayvz

Local time
1:56 PM
I am wanting to put together my first ebike build and am looking for guidance. I have a 600' climb to do over 2 miles, regularly, with 200 pounds total, and I'm not sure which motor to get. I'm looking at a Bafang front hub 48V-500W gear drive, or an eBikeling rear hub 48V-1200W direct drive. I'm going to run a 48V 20 amp hour LG battery.
Thanks!

Ignore the mid-drive salesman.

I would put the geared hub in the rear wheel.

Less maintenance, better reliability, lower cost, easier install.

Also lower profits and less money to pay salesmen.

I agree I’d definitely go Mid drive, most efficient leverage/power. Depending on your weight/fitness level may consider 2 batteries.

I agree I’d definitely go Mid drive, most efficient leverage/power. Depending on your weight/fitness level may consider 2 batteries.
A single large battery has significant advantages over two smaller batteries.

Yep agree. I have an extra battery 2 large/Swap out. Have done and needed it on an extended mtn ride. Not about better, but necessary! ;-)

Yep agree. I have an extra battery 2 large/Swap out. Have done and needed it on an extended mtn ride. Not about better, but necessary! ;-)
It's also about better. A large battery can be charged faster (higher amperage) without stressing the individual cells and saving time hooked up to a power source. You can charge to 85% of the pack's capacity, not discharge past 20% capacity tripling the number of recharges possible while still having way more than enough range for most riders. A single large battery weighs less than 2 packs that are 1/2 the capacity too. It's kind of a no-brainer if you have the means and the frame to carry one. Why do you think so many production ebike have frames that can only carry a single or pair of small batteries. The manufacturers want riders to cook the packs quickly.

Back