Which mid-drive kit for my Mongoose LEDGE 3.1?

ledge

Local time
6:48 AM
Hey there,

I have a Mongoose LEDGE 3.1 29'er. I am looking at all options but given my needs.

Mongoose LEDGE 3.1 29'er.jpg

1st- I will use as a secondary alternate means of reliable transportation besides my van.

2nd- Distance- My commute is 7 miles to town, mostly flat ground (SOUTH GEORGIA) and round trip with my travels in town, approx. 20 miles daily.

3rd- Weight- Well, I'm in the process of "downsizing", lol. 6 foot 1" Tall, Male, 250 lbs. minus the e-bike, battery, backpack, etc.

The BBS02 MID-DRIVE kit and the Wolf battery from LUNA, seem to be my best option in my reading and research. Hub Motors on 29'ers seem to be a accident or a maintenance nightmare waiting to happen with spokes bending and large wheel size.

Money is tight so I am really looking at reliability, longevity, safety and a well built kit over speed options. Any and all input would be appreciated. I'll keep on reading, learning and taking notes in the meantime.

Thanks in advance!

The shock location may make the battery mounting fun, but there are possible work around. What does the bottom bracket area look like, especially around the chain stay pivots? You'll also need to measure the width of the bottom bracket and look up what type it has.

It helps us if you can flip the bike over and post a picture of the bottom bracket area. You're probably on the right track with the BBS02/Wolf combination.

From what I've heard the BBSHD is considered more reliable than the BBS02. The only thing that costs more than doing it right the first time is doing it right the 2nd time.

I have both, and both have been equally reliable. But, I purposely work the BBSHD much harder, trail riding etc. My sole BBS02 is my running around town bike, and is also the lightest and the easiest to pedal power off, very nearly like a regular bike. I think the BBS02's still have their place, especially when weight and money is a major factor, I just don't thrash it like I do my BBSHD's!

So what did you finally do??? I have the same bike..I am considering the BBSHD .how did it fit what problems did you run into??

The last post is over two years old, they are long gone.

The guy dealt with Luna, he is probably still depressed and trying to recover from this terrible mistake.

The last post is over two years old, they are long gone.

The guy dealt with Luna, he is probably still depressed and trying to recover from this terrible mistake.
lunacycle.com rocks ;)

Not everyone has had a bad dealing with Lunacycle.com.

I have both a bbs02 and a bbshd from lunacycle.com with no problems what so ever and the support for me has been really nice..but again..
not everyone has had a bad experience with lunacycle.com .. just sayin.

So what did you finally do??? I have the same bike..I am considering the BBSHD .how did it fit what problems did you run into??
Meassure your bottom bracket mate. I got the one for the fat bikes so i can change it if i ever want to try a fat bike.
I got the 73mm-100mm for fat bikes and got a set of spacers for it to go onto a 68mm bottom bracket. So just be prepared
and get the needed wrenches and the spacers if you go the route i have.

I actually ordered the BBSHD 1000w with offroad programming done to it,
bumping it up to 1600W+. I paired that with a 52v (58.8v fully charged) 45ah lifepo4 battery which is pretty huge.

On that build i ride in PAS 1 and get over 80 miles per charge...depending on how strong the headwinds are and if i ever have any tailwinds.
The BBS02 i ride is strictly for exercise and short jaints around town.

I also have a hub drive @1500w that will do 47MPH for 30 miles. My hub drive just does not like hills LOL

So the choice is yours...both mid drives and Hub drives have good and strong points. It's really up to you at this point mate :)

Ride Safe :cool:

HP

The owner of Luna, Eric Hicks, is a thief and a criminal.

If you can figure out my real name and address, he will pay you $1000 for that information. He made this criminal offer publicly.

Now you can run real quick like a bunny and tell your boss to come and get me. Tell him to BRING IT.

If you actually need to do that. The Loon is known to post under MULTIPLE false identities. Schizophrenic, many suspect.

The owner of Luna, Eric Hicks, is a thief and a criminal.

If you can figure out my real name and address, he will pay you $1000 for that information. He made this criminal offer publicly.

Now you can run real quick like a bunny and tell your boss to come and get me. Tell him to BRING IT.

If you actually need to do that. The Loon is known to post under MULTIPLE false identities. Schizophrenic, many suspect.
Nelson mate, noone here wants to get your real name and address bud. I bought off of lunacycle and have gotten great response from their
support team. I've also spoke to Eric before i bought from them as to let him know what my needs were.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience with lunacycle.com and Eric mate, that just does not happen to everyone...let's face it..you got banned from several places due to the way you speak to others...you cannot change that mate.

I don't work for them i am on the East coast mate...you sometimes get delusional and paranoid it seems.

You are pretty darn smart Nelson...you just have a harsh way of helping others. Leave your troubles with Eric somewhere else mate...

I hope you get the help that you show us that you need Nelson (Hugs)

HP

I got the 73mm-100mm for fat bikes and got a set of spacers for it to go onto a 68mm bottom bracket.

HP
Is the mounting with the 100mm with spacers just as solid and secure as a 68mm motor would be in your estimation? I like the idea of the option to swap the motor to different bikes.
also, do you ever have any issues with clearance on irregular terrain with how the Bafang mounts to the BB when off road? I'm trying to choose between the BBSHD and CYC X1 pro and that's one of the concerns. Hello btw I'm kinda new here.

Is the mounting with the 100mm with spacers just as solid and secure as a 68mm motor would be in your estimation? I like the idea of the option to swap the motor to different bikes.
also, do you ever have any issues with clearance on irregular terrain with how the Bafang mounts to the BB when off road? I'm trying to choose between the BBSHD and CYC X1 pro and that's one of the concerns. Hello btw I'm kinda new here.
Hello and Welcome to our humble home! :cool:

Yep is as secure.

Yes, terrain has been an issue the only 2 times i took it to the woods and trails. Mainly going over logs.
Other than that i've had no issues.

The new CYC Photon looks like a nice kit, and torque sensing as well, which I wish the BBSHD had.

That bottom bracket looks like it has a curve to it at the bottom. That makes motors like the BBSxx and now the Photon potentially problematic if ground clearance is of any concern, as the motor has to hang straight down. I solved that on my enduro - a Guerilla Gravity Smash - which had the same kind of 'modern' down tube design by using a Cyc X1 Pro. But thats nowhere near as easy of an installation. Or at least it wasn't back in that motor's Gen 1 days.

If you are doing a street bike, then ground clearance won't be an issue. But the motor will look kinda dumb hanging down like that.

EDIT: If you don't have steep hills to climb, a hub motor is perfectly viable. Each type of motor is better in a different niche. Hubs excel on street riding where hills are not a factor. Concerns about wheel integrity are easily addressed by doing a proper wheel build via your LBS, although I have never seen a (Chinese) factory build go bad on anything reasonable like a simple 500 or 750w motor with a 48v/52v battery and up to a 35a controller. Hub motors need things like at least one torque arm, and before you do something like a front hub motor, there's some homework that needs doing. But all in all a hub conversion is easier - if less versatile - for the beginner builder. You just have to know your needs in advance to pick the better option.

As an aside, I'm also a longtime Luna customer. I think I have bought 9 BBSHDs from them along with other motors, batteries and general stuff dating back maybe 8 years. Great support and service. The animosity you see online against them goes back to a feud between the owner of Luna and folks at Endless Sphere (I am colossally simplifying a soap opera that spans years). Neither side has entirely clean hands during this fight in terms of behavior, but many in the E-S crowd are beyond redemption when it comes to mindless, knee-jerk hatred.

That bottom bracket looks like it has a curve to it at the bottom. That makes motors like the BBSxx and now the Photon potentially problematic if ground clearance is of any concern, as the motor has to hang straight down. I solved that on my enduro - a Guerilla Gravity Smash - which had the same kind of 'modern' down tube design by using a Cyc X1 Pro. But thats nowhere near as easy of an installation. Or at least it wasn't back in that motor's Gen 1 days.

If you are doing a street bike, then ground clearance won't be an issue. But the motor will look kinda dumb hanging down like that.

EDIT: If you don't have steep hills to climb, a hub motor is perfectly viable. Each type of motor is better in a different niche. Hubs excel on street riding where hills are not a factor. Concerns about wheel integrity are easily addressed by doing a proper wheel build via your LBS, although I have never seen a (Chinese) factory build go bad on anything reasonable like a simple 500 or 750w motor with a 48v/52v battery and up to a 35a controller. Hub motors need things like at least one torque arm, and before you do something like a front hub motor, there's some homework that needs doing. But all in all a hub conversion is easier - if less versatile - for the beginner builder. You just have to know your needs in advance to pick the better option.

As an aside, I'm also a longtime Luna customer. I think I have bought 9 BBSHDs from them along with other motors, batteries and general stuff dating back maybe 8 years. Great support and service. The animosity you see online against them goes back to a feud between the owner of Luna and folks at Endless Sphere (I am colossally simplifying a soap opera that spans years). Neither side has entirely clean hands during this fight in terms of behavior, but many in the E-S crowd are beyond redemption when it comes to mindless, knee-jerk hatred.
Since you've had both which do you favor between the BSHD vs X1 pro? Did the Gen1 CYC have torque sensor?

if i understand your post, it's not true..which ever installation is chosen, cyc will never hang below crank..

if i understand your post, it's not true..which ever installation is chosen, cyc will never hang below crank..
I think you got what I was saying wrong. The Cyc X1 or Stealth is what you use to avoid what the BBSHD or the Cyc Photon will do, which is hang straight down.

Here's mine, below. A Guerilla Gravity Smash (29er). This bike has the curvy down tube that you see on most modern mtb's and that means a BBSHD, BBS02 or a Photon will hang down like a scrotum.

Forgive the Day 1 post-build beauty shot. It has never been that clean again and before my first ride I took off all the crap except the handlebar tool/wallet/phone bag. The controller is in the little bag below the shock, and is a custom ERT-programmed BAC800. At the time this gen1 motor was shipped, the Cyc controller was a guaranteed headache. I never even bothered to install it and went straight to an aftermarket solution. It can go to a sustained 60a but I chickened out at 40a the one time I tried to go hi speed on the thing.
IMG_20200105_131657.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20220105_173905635.jpg
    PXL_20220105_173905635.jpg
    393.2 KB · Views: 99
I think you got what I was saying wrong. The Cyc X1 or Stealth is what you use to avoid what the BBSHD or the Cyc Photon will do, which is hang straight down.

Here's mine, below. A Guerilla Gravity Smash (29er). This bike has the curvy down tube that you see on most modern mtb's and that means a BBSHD, BBS02 or a Photon will hang down like a scrotum.

Forgive the Day 1 post-build beauty shot. It has never been that clean again and before my first ride I took off all the crap except the handlebar tool/wallet/phone bag. The controller is in the little bag below the shock, and is a custom ERT-programmed BAC800. At the time this gen1 motor was shipped, the Cyc controller was a guaranteed headache. I never even bothered to install it and went straight to an aftermarket solution. It can go to a sustained 60a but I chickened out at 40a the one time I tried to go hi speed on the thing.
View attachment 7341
Where is the battery?

Back