Which mid-drive kit for my Mongoose LEDGE 3.1?

Since you've had both which do you favor between the BSHD vs X1 pro? Did the Gen1 CYC have torque sensor?
The BBSHD is a rock-solid, drama-free performer that is well-refined and easily programmable. Paired with a 52v battery and run at 30 amps its the reliable transportation choice. Beware some companies will sell you a '52v' version now that is locked down to 28a and from what I am hearing has also had its teeth pulled in terms of torque output. I own one (purchased at California Ebike) but I am not installing it and keeping it as a backup. I don't like the 28a limitation and the performance reviews I have seen from owners of them convinced me to set it aside instead of using it on my current in-progress build. I have 30a units running on 52v that I built as far back as 2017 without issue so there's no concern there.

The Cyc X1 Pro on the other hand is more of a manual sports car kind of thing. It has more moving bits, is quite a bit noisier (no one will ever be fooled into thinking you don't have a motor; strangely the BBSHD is often unseen by people looking over the bike and then asking me if I have a motor on it. And nobody hears a BBSHD under operation.

But also the X1 Pro is more powerful by quite a margin. Some models can go to 10000 rpms (depends on battery voltage and what controller you have) and I have to say when mine is spinning up at around 8k and I am pushing into 40 mph territory I am a little anxious at what could happen if something goes wrong with things spinning that fast next to my ankles, and sounding like they are ready to fly apart (nothing ever has and in fact the kart chain and the special chainring show no signs of excessive wear).

The motor I have is not the same one you'd be buying today, so while I have to manually let off the power as I row thru the gears, today's finally-working-right Cyc controllers are going to give you a much more refined experience. But that motor is still a more noisy, fiddly little bugger.

Where is the battery?
Here's the full story

Backpack batteries get a lot of bad press. Its one of those ideas that sounds awful but turns out to work really, really well when you actually use one.

The BBSHD is a rock-solid, drama-free performer that is well-refined and easily programmable. Paired with a 52v battery and run at 30 amps its the reliable transportation choice.
Thanks, good info. You feel the BBSHD has sufficient torque for trail and some hill climbing with 52v and the right controller and amperage? I'm pretty drawn to quiet feature. The CYC gen3 claims improvement with the noise but how much could one expect with two chains still.

Thanks, good info. You feel the BBSHD has sufficient torque for trail and some hill climbing with 52v and the right controller and amperage?
Oh absolutely. Its all about the gears you put the bike in. My Apostate e-mtb conversion runs a BBSHD with a 40T front ring and a 11-46T all-steel rear cluster. It can climb anything and the issue is being able to stay in the saddle on a steep enough hill where the power can lift the front wheel. Just remember that the 'it can climb anything' part only happens if you build the drivetrain right. This is true of both the Cyc and the HD. My Cyc-powered enduro uses a SRAM EX1 tool steel rear cluster and a DT Swiss 350 ratchet-engagement rear hub (in 2023 there are vastly cheaper rear cluster and derailleur options out there). Which makes it worth mentioning: Of the two motors, the one more likely to tear your factory rear wheel apart is the Cyc.

BTW the BBS02 is not generally available in bottom bracket widths beyond 68-72. There ARE conversions out there, both kits and pre-configured, but if you go with an '02 make sure you check that box. I would always spend a little more and go with an HD as its a great motor to de-tune and then run at 20-50% capacity... a motor running easy is more likely to last forever. What you do is de-tune PAS so it sips power on pedal assist, but leave the throttle alone so if you want a blip of power its a thumb-flick away.

The CYC gen3 claims improvement with the noise but how much could one expect with two chains still.
^^^ this. Exactly. Again... its a fun motor. But its not the easy-install reliability king.

Back