Which mid-drive kit for my Mongoose LEDGE 3.1?

ledge

Hey there,

I have a Mongoose LEDGE 3.1 29'er. I am looking at all options but given my needs.

Mongoose LEDGE 3.1 29'er.jpg

1st- I will use as a secondary alternate means of reliable transportation besides my van.

2nd- Distance- My commute is 7 miles to town, mostly flat ground (SOUTH GEORGIA) and round trip with my travels in town, approx. 20 miles daily.

3rd- Weight- Well, I'm in the process of "downsizing", lol. 6 foot 1" Tall, Male, 250 lbs. minus the e-bike, battery, backpack, etc.

The BBS02 MID-DRIVE kit and the Wolf battery from LUNA, seem to be my best option in my reading and research. Hub Motors on 29'ers seem to be a accident or a maintenance nightmare waiting to happen with spokes bending and large wheel size.

Money is tight so I am really looking at reliability, longevity, safety and a well built kit over speed options. Any and all input would be appreciated. I'll keep on reading, learning and taking notes in the meantime.

Thanks in advance!

bob

The shock location may make the battery mounting fun, but there are possible work around. What does the bottom bracket area look like, especially around the chain stay pivots? You'll also need to measure the width of the bottom bracket and look up what type it has.

It helps us if you can flip the bike over and post a picture of the bottom bracket area. You're probably on the right track with the BBS02/Wolf combination.

phillip

From what I've heard the BBSHD is considered more reliable than the BBS02. The only thing that costs more than doing it right the first time is doing it right the 2nd time.

steve

I have both, and both have been equally reliable. But, I purposely work the BBSHD much harder, trail riding etc. My sole BBS02 is my running around town bike, and is also the lightest and the easiest to pedal power off, very nearly like a regular bike. I think the BBS02's still have their place, especially when weight and money is a major factor, I just don't thrash it like I do my BBSHD's!

Top Bottom