When does your ebike die?

NHbuckeye

Local time
7:30 AM
New Lectric XPremium ride with my wife and I we ended the last three miles riding with 0 PAS. Those things are way to heavy to pedal without any assist. We were watching the volts closely; this being our first long ride. Level rail trail no wild riding. Motors cut out at 43.8 volts and two energy bars left. Is that normal?

I'm assuming you have the 48V system.

If so; [NOTE: These are very conservative numbers for people who want a long pack life]
  • A battery pack fresh off the charger should not be higher than 54.6V. A quality BMS will often cut this off at right around 53V to give maximum battery pack lifespan.
  • Automatic critical low voltage safety-cutoff is normally set right around 34V but at this point you'd have noticed a significant drop in output and your pack is already pretty badly stressed so you should avoid going this low.
  • 43.8v puts you at roughly 16% charge which, honestly, is a very good place to stop and charge so you don't damage the pack. If I had the option I personally might go to 43.0v but no lower.
If your bike is still showing two bars at 43.8v then I'd say something on your display is mis-calibrated because I'd think you would want it to pretty much show empty at that point even though there is still technically some juice left.

With the type of riding I do, my battery seldom drops below 40-50% before I recharge. Last night, after riding on several longer journeys through the day, I had it down to about 33%. I did notice a slight drop in power output at that point. While pedaling flat with a comfortable cadence on PAS 4 usually gives me about 17.8 MPH, pedaling the same last night had me at about 16.5 MPH

No biggie, but I was surprised about that. I figured with a lithium ion battery, the power would just suddenly cut out when it was too low (like my weed whacker, for instance) instead of there being a slow taper in power output.

But battery science ain’t my thing :geek:

New Lectric XPremium ride with my wife and I we ended the last three miles riding with 0 PAS. Those things are way to heavy to pedal without any assist. We were watching the volts closely; this being our first long ride. Level rail trail no wild riding. Motors cut out at 43.8 volts and two energy bars left. Is that normal?
Sounds like the battery bar scale isn't set correctly. I would contact Lectric customer service to see if there is a way to adjust. Until then or maybe always watch the voltage as you know when the bike will stop running. I would give yourself a little buffer and not run down to the point to where it is going to strand you.

Back