What's your experience responsibly riding a Class 3 on bike paths?

What's your experience responsibly riding a Class 3 on bike paths?

• The police have noticed, but left me alone

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The police have noticed and warned me, but not ticketed me

• The police have noticed, warned me and asked me to get off the path

• The police have noticed, ticketed me and asked me to get off the path

• The police do not seem to have noticed

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Smaug

Local time
4:48 PM
Please note that I'm not asking whether it's LEGAL or not, so let's keep the discussion away from that.

I'm asking for those of you who have ridden your Class 3 on a bike path DESPITE the law. Assuming you were riding responsibly, how did it work out?

I've only done it once. Kept my speed at or below 13 mph. (that is my typical pace on a purely mechanical bike) My e-bike is a fat-tired 500 W hub motor model with a big 48 V, 15 Ah pack, so it's not inconspicuous.

My local paths have signs that say "no motorized vehicles" and the local law says only Class 1 or 2 are allowed on them.

If police noticed, I didn't see them and it wasn't mentioned. I'm curious how it's going to work out in the long run. My feeling is that they don't have time to mess with us if we're not being a menace.

Don't know where you live, but around here the rule is DO NOT ANNOY THE OLD PEOPLE.

Basically do not be an Ahole and cops got better things to do. But - piss off Granny, and you are toast.

Here's a trick I learned over time. Bicycle etiquette when passing pedestrians or others is to call out "On your Left!". Instead, I use "Right behind You!". Reason is, with the previous call, people would move randomly to one side, then sometimes realize I am going to pass on a specific side and they moved wrong, so they shift sides AGAIN, after I have already corrected Left to Pass, back Right when they moved Left, then have to correct a third time when they finally figured it out, and I had run out of time. Almost ate a tree once, couple near misses.

With "Right behind You!", they still move randomly to one side, but then have no reason to correct, I only have to account for one move. Works much better.

Please note that I'm not asking whether it's LEGAL or not, so let's keep the discussion away from that.

I'm asking for those of you who have ridden your Class 3 on a bike path DESPITE the law. Assuming you were riding responsibly, how did it work out?

I've only done it once. Kept my speed at or below 13 mph. (that is my typical pace on a purely mechanical bike) My e-bike is a fat-tired 500 W hub motor model with a big 48 V, 15 Ah pack, so it's not inconspicuous.

My local paths have signs that say "no motorized vehicles" and the local law says only Class 1 or 2 are allowed on them.

If police noticed, I didn't see them and it wasn't mentioned. I'm curious how it's going to work out in the long run. My feeling is that they don't have time to mess with us if we're not being a menace.
I think it depends on how many idiots do stupid things with fast E Bikes on these paths.

Don't know where you live, but around here the rule is DO NOT ANNOY THE OLD PEOPLE.

Basically do not be an Ahole and cops got better things to do. But - piss off Granny, and you are toast.

Here's a trick I learned over time. Bicycle etiquette when passing pedestrians or others is to call out "On your Left!". Instead, I use "Right behind You!". Reason is, with the previous call, people would move randomly to one side, then sometimes realize I am going to pass on a specific side and they moved wrong, so they shift sides AGAIN, after I have already corrected Left to Pass, back Right when they moved Left, then have to correct a third time when they finally figured it out, and I had run out of time. Almost ate a tree once, couple near misses.

With "Right behind You!", they still move randomly to one side, but then have no reason to correct, I only have to account for one move. Works much better.
One of the things I've noticed while walking on these paths is that many people have earbuds connected to their phones probably listening to music. So how many of them really hear you make your presence known?

I just do like I do when riding motorcycles assume they don't see you or hear you.

Here in NYC metro, folks on all kinds of ebikes go just about anywhere they want. Bike lanes & bike paths are all fair game
Police have bigger problems than to chase after ebike riders trying to earn a living.
Sometimes it's safer to ride against traffic on one-way streets, cut across parks, ride on the sidewalk if need to, but never at crazy speeds.
It's all about how well you manage your speed.
I must ride pass LEOs multiple times a day and they don't even notice me on a class 3 cargo bike.
Maybe it's the OD green.
leSIk1D.jpg

What did you expect from MPs on military grounds?
They are not your friends, they are about as straight-laced as possibly can for good reasons.
Your bike better not have a reflector missing if they are onto you.
They are not "protect & serve"; they only exist to make sure rules are followed.

It's not the police you need to worry about. Police have more important things to do than worry about this kind of thing... they don't hunt down or monitor jay walkers either. What you do have to worry about when operating a Class-3 ebike on pedestrian paths is an accident of any kind that either police are called or someone gets enough information to contact an insurance agency. If you are riding a Class-3 ebike and someone is hurt regardless of the circumstances you will be held at fault, just as you would be if you had been riding a motorcycle or driving a car. It's not legal to operate a Class-3 ebike on Class-1 or 2 infrastructure and any... every insurance company will do anything to recoup their money. If police are called they WILL document the ebikes data and take pictures. Then it just comes down to enforcing the law. The only place any official has questioned me about my bike is while riding in National Parks. I just disconnect the throttle and ride on. The important thing to remember is that a Class-1 ebike can ride anywhere in America that bicycles are allowed. Ride safe.

I usually just scream at the top of my lungs “MOOOVE!!” :D :p

I usually just scream at the top of my lungs “MOOOVE!!” :D :p
I've been riding with a Fugoo XL Bluetooth speaker on the bike since 2016 and never have problems negotiating through pedestrians or other riders. The music makes people stop a look and they just usually step back off the trail, wave, and watch me ride by, a lot of them even start dancing. Other riders hear the music and pull over to the right before I have to say anything let alone actually yell at someone. The only issue I have is with walking zombies (people wearing earbuds) oblivious to everything else.

not sure where you or others are at, but in California, we have very strict laws:

How does California define what an electric bike is?​

Per the California (CA) Vehicle Code, electric bicycles are classified as conventional bicycles. Electric bikes must not exceed 750W and must not exceed 28 mph on level ground. Electric bikes motors must disengage when brake functions are applied and use a switch or mechanism that, when released, will cause motor function to cease.

The state defines 3 classes of electric bikes. Class I is for pedal assist with a maximum of 20 mph electric assist. Class II is for bikes that provide electric power whether the rider is pedaling or not, but stops providing power when the speed reaches 20 mph. Class III is for bikes that continue providing electrical power up to 28 mph.

Do you need a license, insurance or registration in California?​

Electric bike operators do not need to be licensed. Electric bikes may only be operated by persons aged 16 years and older. Electric bikes do not need to be licensed or registered.

What are the restrictions on Motor power or throttle in California?​

The motor of an electric bicycles cannot exceed the 750 watts.

Are there any age restrictions to riding an electric bike in California?​

You need to be older than 16 years old to ride an e-bike if your electric bike can reach 28 mph or more.

What are the laws around helmets in California?​

Under California state law, anyone under the age of 18 must wear a helmet.

What are the rules for riding on the roads in California?​

Electric bikes may be ridden on roads as far right as practical. Electric bikes are not allowed on dedicated bike paths unless the path runs adjacent to a roadway or is posted to allow motorized bicycles.

What are the rules for riding on the trails in California?​

Class 3 electric bicycles are not allowed on any bicycle path or trail, bikeway, equestrian trail, or hiking or recreational trail, unless it is within or adjacent to a roadway or unless the local authority or the governing body of a public agency having jurisdiction over the path or trail permits them by ordinance.

Laws vary A LOT among different states. California is just the most clearly defined, and a de facto standard for the rest of the country, or most of it.

One of the things I've noticed while walking on these paths is that many people have earbuds connected to their phones probably listening to music. So how many of them really hear you make your presence known?

I just do like I do when riding motorcycles assume they don't see you or hear you.

This is one of my little “pet peeves”…..not so much that people are using ear buds on a path, but that those people usually walk right in the middle of the path, especially if it is narrow.

My approach is usually to slow down significantly when approaching a walker, and chime my bell a few times. If they don’t respond, I’ll call out “on your left,” otherwise no choice but to just slowly snake around them.

In Dallas as long as you keep your speed down to about 13 to 15 mph on trails no one says anything. The people that complain the most are usually on regular bicycles dressed like they're fixing to ride the Tour de France, and Ironically they're the ones riding too fast.

My experience....there are idiot walkers out there....there are idiot ebikers out there.....there are idiot bikers out there......you can't fix stupid.....share the road...be respectful....be safe.

In Dallas as long as you keep your speed down to about 13 to 15 mph on trails no one says anything. The people that complain the most are usually on regular bicycles dressed like they're fixing to ride the Tour de France, and Ironically they're the ones riding too fast.
Yep we call those people dressed like for a race "Posers". Same thing happens in the motorcycle world.

Back