What do people think about Pedego electric bikes?

Anna

Local time
11:21 PM
So I don't want to upset anyone, I am just learning before I buy. But, is there something wrong with Pedego? It has not been mentioned?

They have been around for quite a while. I test drove and rented some of their bikes before I bought my Trek. The people in their store where very helpful. A lot of people really like them and it is convenient that they have a lot of stores. When I was shopping for my ebike I wanted a class 3 bike with 28 mph pedal assist and they had none.

They have been around for quite a while. I test drove and rented some of their bikes before I bought my Trek. The people in their store where very helpful. A lot of people really like them and it is convenient that they have a lot of stores. When I was shopping for my ebike I wanted a class 3 bike with 28 mph pedal assist and they had none.
Thank you. I have a Pedego store and a Trek store both within a mile of my place!

I love my Pedego. It’s been a great bike. My pedego store has been great and a test ride was important to me. I rented and then bought. Some shops have their rental fleet available and those bikes don’t cost as much. Knowing what I know now our second bike will probably be from the used rental fleet. Hope this helps!

We did a test drive at Pedego, loved the bikes, just more money than we wanted to spend.

I agree with looking at ebikes with a proven track record even though they may cost more. But, the single most important thing is a decent test ride. I had decided on a Pedego City Commuter based on all the positive reviews I read online. I took one on a decent test ride and discovered it wasn't the bike for me. Nothing wrong with Pedego. I just wasn't comfortable on it. I test rode other brands after that and found one I liked. My local bike shop is located right next to the bike trail. I was a able to go on a 30 minute test ride. It's pretty much impossible to evaluate a bike just riding around a store parking lot.

My complaint is the rear rack battery that just sucks and only one bike with a mid drive plus they are all only class 2 bikes.

My complaint is the rear rack battery that just sucks and only one bike with a mid drive plus they are all only class 2 bikes.
You’re probably talking about the City Commuter Mid-Drive. FYI, there are also the Pedego Conveyor which is a Class 1 Brose mid-drive and the Elevate which is a Class 1 eMTB Shimano mid-drive. Both of these have downtube mounted batteries.

You’re right, though, that the most popular Pedegos are Class 2 with battery racks. Personally, I love throttles! I prefer having direct control over how much assist I get at any given moment. I know people generally prefer pedal assist, but most Pedegos have both.

Plus: great customer service, lots of dealer locations

Minus: limited styles of bikes, price, & no class 3 bike availability

I wonder if anyone has tried the Pedego "Pedalsense" version on the Platinum Interceptor that uses torque rather than cadence pedal assist. Also what is the maximum speed people have gotten to with the maximum speed changed in the menu?

It seems that most people who buy Ebikes don't actually need them. They can pedal, and they want something to go superfast on while not pedaling very much. I am a disabled person. I am 62, on SS disability, have a disabled license plate, have serious hip and knee joint problems, a degenerative muscle condition, severe arthritis, and a few other things. I can walk slowly for maybe 50-60 feet with the aid of a cane. I have a mobility scooter. I have to either use an electric shopping cart or my mobility scooter. I used to ride a bicycle a lot (NOT part of the Spandex crowd) and really enjoyed it.

But since winding up in this condition, that put a stop to my bicycle riding. I now sit home in front of a computer instead. I could ride a bicycle IF I didn't have to pedal, and the bicycle had a step through frame. I have been considering an Ebike for some time, but all the information I can find about them seems aimed at the Spandex crowd and their "pedal assist" I just want to go on slow, leisurely rides around my neighborhood, and ride on a bike path that runs along a canal bank. Something enjoyable that will get me out of the house.

A couple of weeks ago, I paid a visit to my local Pedego store. I was treated very nicely despite my condition. Most people tend to look down on, or completely ignore someone in my condition. I rented a NON Platinum step through bike and took it out for a ride of about an hour, at around 7-8 mph (normal pedal bike speed for commuters and recreational riders) WOW. I loved it. It showed over half the battery life left when I got back. I was told that at 7-8 mph it should easily go 20+ miles without pedaling (I would be stranded if the battery went dead away from home). I thought about it for a week, then went back and ordered a NON Platinum 26" step through model in Mineral Blue with the alloy wheel option (I weigh 240 pounds) and the 48V 15 amp hour battery. I can't wait for it to show up. If this bike will get me out of the house for a couple hours a day, it will completely change my life. Probably even extend it quite a bit.

I highly recommend Pedego. Their people are very friendly and helpful, they don't push the "sport" aspect of cycling, the bikes are excellent quality, they have a 5 year warranty. Yes, $4K OTD seems like a lot, but that will only get you a middle of the road Tour de France style pedal only road or mountain bike. I expect to ride it for at least 10 years. That's only $400 a year or $35 a month. And they have very low interest financing.

That's a very inspiring to hear @BigBob it's so good to hear that you can get out and ride again with an ebike. Thanks for sharing your story (y) all the best on your ebike adventures!

My wife had a below the knee amputation on her left leg last summer and got her new prosthetic leg in December. We realized that riding her traditional "men's" style bike would be difficult if not impossible when she regained enough strength. We have a couple of dedicated e-bike shops in town, and looked online at the bikes they carry. We were impressed with the extremely low step-through frame of the Pedego Boomerang. The people at the local Pedego store were extremely friendly and helpful and a couple weeks ago we bought a 24" Boomerang for her and a 26" for me. The other local store offered five or six different brands but nothing with a step-through frame that compared to the Boomerang. While Pedego bikes might be more expensive than some, having a local store for maintenance and service, along with a 5 year warranty, made the cost worth it to us.

Best wishes to your wife. I seriously considered the Boomerang, it is the same price as the non Platinum step-through. I just liked the more traditional look of the step-through. I would have also preferred the wire spoke wheels, but at 240 pounds I decided I needed the alloy wheels. I found I could easily step across the frame of the standard step-through while holding onto the handlebars.

Best wishes to your wife. I seriously considered the Boomerang, it is the same price as the non Platinum step-through. I just liked the more traditional look of the step-through. I would have also preferred the wire spoke wheels, but at 240 pounds I decided I needed the alloy wheels. I found I could easily step across the frame of the standard step-through while holding onto the handlebars.
I also considered the Interceptor and even though the Boomerang frame looks a bit odd I liked the extra low step through, and for my wife that was a necessity. I also prefered the design and shape of the Boomerang handlebars over the Interceptor, and the Boomerang's adjustable handlebar stem and angle without tools. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Thanks for sharing your story, it's great to hear that you wife can still get out and ride with the assistance of an ebike.

The pedego boomerang is indeed a low step ebike, it's almost like a scooter and ebike in one!

pedego-boomerang-20.jpg

Has anyone noticed a problem with crank geometry? My wife and I both noticed that the pedals seem too far back relative to the seat, making pedaling awkward.

Has anyone noticed a problem with crank geometry? My wife and I both noticed that the pedals seem too far back relative to the seat, making pedaling awkward.
NO, there is not a "problem" with crank geometry. Yes the pedals are slightly further back on a Boomerang than they are for example on an Interceptor but that's not necessarily a "problem". It's simply not to your personal liking. That's why it's a good idea to test ride various Pedego models to find one that fits you. In an earlier post in this thread I said how my wife and I both bought Boomerangs. She found that with her prosthetic leg the Interceptor provided a better fit and feel with its pedals slightly more forward. So we traded her Boomerang for an Interceptor. I've riden both her Interceptor and my Boomerang and I don't notice much of a difference.

I am 66 and have ALS. My disease is very slow progressing but I was a runner, golfer and swimmer. Up until last year I could still walk quite fast and far. I developed some issues with my left foot and right knee, probably from the treadmill. I live on the beach and really missed the walks. Last October, I decided to drive to my local Pedego dealer and test drive a few bikes. They had an Interceptor Platinum and a regular Boomerang. I loved the suspension of the Interceptor but loved the easy step through and feel of the Boomerang. In October it was impossible to get a Boomerang Platinum so I waited.

Now, I own a Boomerang Platinum and love it. I've only had it out a couple of times because I'm waiting for some accessories but I'm so glad I bought it.

Until I tested ebikes, I thought my biking days were over with this disease. Even if I only get to use it a year, it'll be so worth it.

I did try some other brands, including trikes but the Boomerang just felt right.

Went to purchase 2 bikes. In large part because of 5 year warranty. But then the bike guy says to keep warranty in force have to have a 100 hour checkup..free and an annual checkup at a cost over $100.00 per bike for 5 years. I left the store . That is a warranty that the consumer is paying for. Kinda false advertising.

Back