Wanting to increase top speed on ebike, ways to go about it?

chyaboi

I am looking for the cheapest way possible to upgrade.

I currently have a 48v 14.5ah battery (BMS probably 20? Not sure), 750W rear hub motor and the controller is somewhere between 20-23a.

The top speed on this bike is absolute max of 29.9mph. I am wanting to go about 33mph.

What would be the cheapest route to achieve my goal?

Higher watt rear hub motor w/ higher amp controller? Add 750w front hub motor w/ 2nd controller? 52v battery?

Thanks for any help :)

Nelson37

Fastest and cheapest would be to wire in a voltage converter to increase the voltage from battery to controller.

Use like a Turbo Boost. Momentary push-button, it's been done.

Inefficient, gets hot, wastes power, but fairly cheap.

Next would be to just get a faster motor, higher KV, or rpm per volt. Choose one compatible with current controller, plug, play, and go. Will loose a bit of hill climb ability and acceleration, likely. Also a LOT of range.

Wattage alone is not the be-all and end-all of choosing a motor.

Nelson37

Also the suggestion above is exactly backwards.

If you want speed, then take the 20" kit and put THAT into a 26" rim. It will be a higher RPM kit, usually.

Putting a 26" kit into a 20" rim is how you make a hub motor climb like a mountain goat, not how you get speed.

"A"

If high speed is what you do most of the time on your rides, then I would get a bike that's designed to operate at higher speeds.
$1300 ebike likely does not have the proper brakes or even frame to sustain long hours at higher speeds.
Even if you have upgraded to more powerful motor, controller & larger battery, the bike may simply not designed to operate safely at higher speeds.
I don't ride at higher speeds (above 25 mph) for more than 20-30 seconds very often, only on downhills or smooth pavement when traffic is light and I can give myself plenty of room before I need to slow down. In my area and the traffic that I ride with, 25 mph simply isn't all that safe.

DCErik

Not sure how to do that. I am honestly just ideally wanting a plug and play setup so I don't really need to do much besides change out the tire with new hub motor, unplug old controller, add new one and there we go easy new ebike
If your battery BMS is limited to 20A then you'd need a new battery, too. Not sure, myself, why so many people are so eager to leave the legal, classed ebike system and take their chances riding an unregistered motorized vehicle. Just imagine having an accident...

Top Bottom