Wanting to increase top speed on ebike, ways to go about it?

chyaboi

I am looking for the cheapest way possible to upgrade.

I currently have a 48v 14.5ah battery (BMS probably 20? Not sure), 750W rear hub motor and the controller is somewhere between 20-23a.

The top speed on this bike is absolute max of 29.9mph. I am wanting to go about 33mph.

What would be the cheapest route to achieve my goal?

Higher watt rear hub motor w/ higher amp controller? Add 750w front hub motor w/ 2nd controller? 52v battery?

Thanks for any help :)

chyaboi

Get some smoother tires for pavement usage?
Should my bike specs be doing over 30mph? It's capable? I could get some smoother tires yeah. It feels like the bike is hard limited at 29.9mph though. When I pick up the bike and throttle the motor. It will not go past a certain mph. (Also confirmed on GPS, the max speed on GPS is always 29.9mph)

"A"

Depends on how much weight you're trying to move and whether your battery is healthy and fully charged.
IME, top speed is not really sustainable over long period of time, unless you have a huge battery that can maintain full charge.
High speed runs can be fun once in a while, but it gets old rather quickly, you might as well get a used motorcycle if you enjoy more high speed runs.
Ebikes are mostly about being practical and less about top speed.

chyaboi

Depends on how much weight you're trying to move and whether your battery is healthy and fully charged.
IME, top speed is not really sustainable over long period of time, unless you have a huge battery that can maintain full charge.
High speed runs can be fun once in a while, but it gets old rather quickly, you might as well get a used motorcycle if you enjoy more high speed runs.
Ebikes are mostly about being practical and less about top speed.
In total bike weight + me about 200lbs. I agree, I am honestly probably going to just sell this bike and buy a performance electric scooter. It seems if I want a reliable setup, I'd need to upgrade basically everything, higher volt battery + high watt motor/controller. Which is a lot of money itself and just completely wasting like new parts I already currently have.

"A"

If it's only firmware update to achieve what you need than it would be worth while doing some research.
It wouldn't be worth the effort if you need to spend money & time upgrading to add battery or change out motor.

This is what's coming for cheap Chinese ebike/emoto:
Dual motor, dual battery.. I'd prefer dual cast wheel/motors for better wheel durability.
Lack of suspension may be rough for off-pavement rides, but if you ride mostly on pavement, fat tires should be just fine.
Expect weight to be 120 lb. or more.
Mechanical disc brakes may need upgrade, but they only slow you down anyway; who needs brakes.
IRQcsbu.jpg

HumanPerson

I am looking for the cheapest way possible to upgrade.

I currently have a 48v 14.5ah battery (BMS probably 20? Not sure), 750W rear hub motor and the controller is somewhere between 20-23a.

The top speed on this bike is absolute max of 29.9mph. I am wanting to go about 33mph.

What would be the cheapest route to achieve my goal?

Higher watt rear hub motor w/ higher amp controller? Add 750w front hub motor w/ 2nd controller? 52v battery?

Thanks for any help :)
bigger battery, better controller to let more amps and volts through tom the motor. If you do go with a hub motor think big like 2500w
again back to bigger battery with bigger motor and better controller. I have a 1500w cheapo voilamart hub drive kit with a 60v 45ah battery that does 45 mph on flats but hates the hills.

My BBSHD mid drive just loves to eat hills, so really yur gonna have to build around your bike and your needs from the ebike.

Ride Safe! :cool:

HP

chyaboi

bigger battery, better controller to let more amps and volts through tom the motor. If you do go with a hub motor think big like 2500w
again back to bigger battery with bigger motor and better controller. I have a 1500w cheapo voilamart hub drive kit with a 60v 45ah battery that does 45 mph on flats but hates the hills.

My BBSHD mid drive just loves to eat hills, so really yur gonna have to build around your bike and your needs from the ebike.

Ride Safe! :cool:

HP
Yeah, honestly seriously just 35mph and good hill climbing is all I want. I wish I knew as much as I did now, I would have just bought some bike frame and probably made my own bike that was way more powerful for the same price as I bought this. Either way, I think I might just buy a new hub motor 1500w or more, new controller 52v battery etc. I honestly need some buying advice/links to some 1500W or 2000W kits with controller/motor. I have a colored LCD display already but not sure if it'll work with new controller/motor.

I'm thinking maybe this kit is fine? https://www.ebay.com/itm/254754269143?hash=item3b5089a7d7:g:F8QAAOSwkiZcmz8u

The picture below is my current display. I don't think I need a new display, so ideally to save money I'd love to just get a motor for my 20x4 fat tire wheel and a 35 or 40amp controller

Attachments

• IMG_20220428_005346096.jpg
    IMG_20220428_005346096.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 12

HumanPerson

I've never used that kit so i can't honestly say. The cheapo 1500w hub drive i have is a Voilamart kit that, likie i said, only likes flat terrain.
Whatever you are going to do though, the battery size will have a great impact, good or bad. I spend about $800 for a decent battery.

It took a bit of trial and error but if you are a bit mechanically inclined then you can hook up a KT controller which will allow you to pump more juice to the motor, make sense?

There are alot of 2000w kits ya just need to choose the one right for your needs mate ;)

HumanPerson

Yeah, honestly seriously just 35mph and good hill climbing is all I want. I wish I knew as much as I did now, I would have just bought some bike frame and probably made my own bike that was way more powerful for the same price as I bought this. Either way, I think I might just buy a new hub motor 1500w or more, new controller 52v battery etc. I honestly need some buying advice/links to some 1500W or 2000W kits with controller/motor. I have a colored LCD display already but not sure if it'll work with new controller/motor.

I'm thinking maybe this kit is fine? https://www.ebay.com/itm/254754269143?hash=item3b5089a7d7:g:F8QAAOSwkiZcmz8u

The picture below is my current display. I don't think I need a new display, so ideally to save money I'd love to just get a motor for my 20x4 fat tire wheel and a 35 or 40amp controller
Yur on the right path :)

chyaboi

this costs a good bit of money to get what you need sometimes but if you research and are dilligent you will find what makes you happy
Well in perspective. I bought this bike for 1300USD, complete bikes on the market that can go up to 35mph are like anywhere from 2500-3000USD. So if I was to buy a 1500W kit with a 52v battery. I would have paid somewhere around like 2300USD for a bike that goes faster. Not the worst thing in the world, obviously if I was to get all the parts myself from the start would have been much cheaper but can't do anything about that now. I've been trying to sell my bike but no bite.

chyaboi

well, you can always get a 26" kit and have it laced onto your 20" rim eh
Not sure how to do that. I am honestly just ideally wanting a plug and play setup so I don't really need to do much besides change out the tire with new hub motor, unplug old controller, add new one and there we go easy new ebike

Top Bottom