Volts watts - 48v motor & controller with a 52v battery OK?

Cutty

Local time
7:57 PM
Hi everybody I'm a new booty to the ebiking world. But I have a question? I have 48v 1000w rear hub. And a 52v battery. Now should I get a higher voltage controller the same as battery, or will it be just fine?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there, welcome to the forum!

In general a 48 Volt controller and motor requires a 48 Volt pack. Most ebike controllers will allow a range of voltages before they blow, so it is possible you could use a 52 Volt battery even though your controller is only rated for 48 Volts.

Basically you are over volting your 48 Volt controller and motor and this means you will get a performance gain (with a chance of frying your controller). Upping the voltage of your battery is the easiest way to get more performance gain from an ebike. Be aware that the controller and motor may heat up more and don't expect your warranty to cover you. (I can not guarantee this will work so you are doing this at your own risk).

The safe way is to only use a battery that is rated for your controller and motor. So to answer your question, yes you should upgrade your controller and motor.

Last edited:
Hi everybody I'm a new booty to the ebiking world. But I have a question? I have 48v 1000w rear hub. And a 52v battery. Now should I get a higher voltage controller the same as battery, or will it be just fine?
The motor should be just fine, but the controller is another issue. If doesn't specify use with 52 v you will be taking chances. One thing to remember is as you increase the voltage you reduce the number of Amps necessary to achieve a given wattage.

For instances a 48 volt battery would need to output 20.83 Amps to develop 1000 Watts of power at the motor. A 52 V battery would only need 19.23 Amps to produce the same 1000 Watts. Because the 52 V battery in effect reduces the Amps input to the motor the motor should run cooler. The formula for this is called Ohm's law and can be used to calculate voltage, amps and watts. Volts x Amps = Watts; Watts / Volts = Amps.

When you select your controller pick one that not only matches the voltage from the. batter but also has the ability to handle the Amps output to provide the desired Watts to the motor. In most case hub. motor can handle a bunch more Watts than their rated output. Increasing the Amps/Watts will increase the power and torque the motor will produce. If you have a quality motor you could double or more the power without too much trouble.

Last edited by a moderator:
The motor should be just fine, but the controller is another issue. If doesn't specify use with 52 v you will be taking chances. One thing to remember is as you increase the voltage you reduce the number of Amps necessary to achieve a given wattage.

For instances a 48 volt battery would need to output 20.83 Amps to develop 1000 Watts of power at the motor. A 52 V battery would only need 19.23 Amps to produce the same 1000 Watts. Because the 52 V battery in effect reduces the Amps input to the motor the motor should run cooler. The formula for this is called Ohm's law and can be used to calculate voltage, amps and watts. Volts x Amps = Watts; Watts / Volts = Amps.

When you select your controller pick one that not only matches the voltage from the. batter but also has the ability to handle the Amps output to provide the desired Watts to the motor. In most case hub. motor can handle a bunch more Watts than their rated output. Increasing the Amps/Watts will increase the power and torque the motor will produce. If you have a quality motor you could double or more the power without too much trouble.
It's not relevant to your point, but Ohm's law actually governs the relationship between current, voltage, and resistance, Voltage=Current x Resistance, converting between watts, volts, and amps is called the power formula.

To add an important note here.

The limits on the controller, are primarily the limits on capacitors, which are labeled, usually. Easy to find, there are several of them.

Unfortunately, a common limit number is 53V. OK for 50.4V but at 54.6 (52V), you are pushing the limit hard.

Also, battery readout, and LVC (low voltage cutoff) will not be correctly functional.

Many newer controllers are programmable for all these functions, with 60V or higher caps.

Motors themselves are pretty much voltage agnostic, up to a point. more volts = more RPM.

This how I see it. If you for example change your 48V battery to a 52V battery it's like putting a more powerful engine in your car, or maybe a cam change. You'll get more power (torque), and maybe 1-2 mph more top speed. If you put a higher amp/hr battery it's like putting a bigger gas tank in your car. You'll go farther. FYI, one of my eBikes is a Trinx M500 (500w motor) which has a 48V x 13ah battery. I never ran the battery completely down but I believe I can get 45+ miles from this battery. I recently bought a 48V x 20ah battery. Starting with this 48V x 20ah full battery at 5 bars on my display, I get 85 miles and I'm down to 1 bar on my display. So I believe I should easily be able to get 90+ miles before completely draining this battery. If you're running a 48V battery now, without knowing the specs of your controller, probably your bike and controller should be able to easily handle a 52V battery. I know of a couple of guys who have done the switch and after one year or more now are just fine. And they swap back and forth between the 48V and 52V with no issues. And if you run something like a Date2X you can even run a 48V and a 52V battery together at the same time. There are now a few different versions of this type of accessory available and they seem to work well. Watch this YouTube video from Ebikeschool.com YouTube channel. It's called "

Which is better: 48V or 52V battery?​

This guy has some very informative videos............

Here is the link to the YouTube channel of Ibraheem Suleyman where he explains how these battery blenders, battery combiners etc. work. His YT channel name is his name, Ibraheem Suleyman. There are quite a few YT videos on these battery blenders, battery combiners. There are a few different companies selling products like this and I believe they all operate similarly. This particular video is called

Himiway,rad,magicycle ebike dual or 3 or quad battery connect setup withFusion battery combiner​

Back