Voltage to Controllers

SirWilliam

Local time
2:37 PM
I have a controller marked 48 volts DC. I have read information on how a 13 cell lithium battery can be upgraded to a 14 cell unit
The Controller I have is marked :- KT48ZWSRL-JDF01R
Is there anyone out there who has increased the voltage using such a controller
The fully charged condition would be 58.8 volts// mid range 50.4 volts //drop off 44.8volts
Any comments
Regards
Bill Clark

That's a very good question.

So a normal 48v battery is fully charged at 54.6v as you can see here on the nominal voltage graph:

So the one extra cell is 4.2v higher than standard and brings the total voltage to 58.8v.

Now most controllers have Over Voltage protection which may prevent the bike from working at all.

What is over-voltage protection? The controller monitors the battery voltage and shuts down the motor when the battery voltage is too high. This protects the battery from over-charge.

In your case it's hard to tell what will happen without the data specs of the controller.

Just found this controller on ebay which has a similar model to yours, not exactly the same but it's listed for 36v or 48v.

Model: KT48ZWSRKT-SJTO2L

If your pushing it above 48V it may not work. Best to get a 52v volt controller to be safe. You could maybe then list your old controller on ebay for sale to make up the difference.

60v controllers are more popular than 52volt but should still run the 52volts OK. For example this one:

By the way is your motor rated for the 52v? The motor will take the extra voltage and of course spin faster but may heat up more.

Last edited:
Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Just found this controller on ebay which has a similar model to yours, not exactly the same but it's listed for 36v or 48v.

Model: KT48ZWSRKT-SJTO2L

If your pushing it above 48V it may not work. Best to get a 52v volt controller to be safe. You could maybe then list your old controller on ebay for sale to make up the difference.

60v controllers are more popular than 52volt but should still run the 52volts OK. For example this one:

By the way is your motor rated for the 52v? The motor will take the extra voltage and of course spin faster but may heat up more.
No it states on the motor 48Volt maybe I should just accept the situation. I have a very powerful battery and even after 70 miles I am just under 48 volts, --13S/5P with 3,400mah cells

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
On a temporary trail I could re- arrange my cells and covert my battery to a 14S/4P 52.0 VOLT BATTERY. (58.8 V fully charged) I appreciate my controller may cut my out at this high voltage BUT Would or could I do damage to the controller????
Bill C

I now note that the Chinese company Daly DongGuan is manufacturing BMS`s with a distinctive red facing. I have a 13S 48 volt unit. Now I see the same company is selling BMS`s marked 14S 48 volt. How can this be? Are they trying to give the user a wider usage of volts on the discharge curve but still keeping the voltage close to that of a 13S arrangement?

Well I am going down the road to increase my 13S/5P battery to 14S/6P.
I have been taking advice from a gentleman who sells Controllers
He has told me that provided my controller has 63 volt capacitors all ought to be well
I opened up my controller and sure enough the two large capacitors are marked 63 Volts.
So I have a 14S BMS and a 58.8 V charger on order.
I repeat my Controller is marked 48 Volts .
Any one out there that can comment or approve??
Regards
Bill C

Back