Upgrading rear hub

dchfm123@

Local time
9:31 AM
Hello all,

First post here and thank you for having me. I just ordered my first bike and its main purpose is for hunting, getting to stand, scouting etc. I ordered a Eunorau Defender s awd which has 2 hub motors bafang 750w front and rear. I wanted the awd due to the hilly terrain and large amount of leaves on the trails/roads that I will be climbing. I plan on primarily using the rear motor and only using the front when climbing steep hills. My question is, how hard is it to swap out the rear to a 1000w motor just to give a little more power when only in rwd mode. Will the current controller handle it, do they make a dual motor controller that will handle a 1000w rear and 750w front?

Thanks for your replies.

Are the controllers for the motors inside the motor or are they separate components?

Upgrading to a 1000w rear hub drive motor will use your battery quite a bit more....are you ok with that?

Hello all,

First post here and thank you for having me. I just ordered my first bike and its main purpose is for hunting, getting to stand, scouting etc. I ordered a Eunorau Defender s awd which has 2 hub motors bafang 750w front and rear. I wanted the awd due to the hilly terrain and large amount of leaves on the trails/roads that I will be climbing. I plan on primarily using the rear motor and only using the front when climbing steep hills. My question is, how hard is it to swap out the rear to a 1000w motor just to give a little more power when only in rwd mode. Will the current controller handle it, do they make a dual motor controller that will handle a 1000w rear and 750w front?

Thanks for your replies.
Did you find help on this? I want to do the same thing!

Are the controllers for the motors inside the motor or are they separate components?
The frame is a dual use frame, it has a housing for a mid drive. The put the controller in the area where the mid drive would be. I am not sure if its 2 individual controllers or one dual output controller. The specs say 48vx2. I saw one review that said it was a single contoller with 2 outputs that were 25amp each, and one review said dual that are 30 amp each. I will know more when the bike gets here and I can take it apart.

Upgrading to a 1000w rear hub drive motor will use your battery quite a bit more....are you ok with that?
Yeah, It has 2 17amp hour batteries. I think I will be fine. The point behind it is to have a little more power on the rear so I dont have to use both motors as much. That will take it down to a 1000w drain instead of 1500w. Then just use the front motor on steeper hills or when dragging something out on the trailer.

This is an easy upgrade, your ebike uses two Bafang G060 750w motors. I reccomend the G062 1000w model. On average it provides a 1-4 MPH speed gain over the 750w and noticeable acceleration and hill climbing ability. It also has a wider stator and thicker nylon planetary gear assembly, since it’s slightly more robust it will last longer using it as your primary motor. Although both motors are only running off separate 22 amp controllers I doubt they’ll ever burn out.

Option 1: If you want the aesthetic to match perfectly it may cost a bit more and take more time, purchasing the Bafang G062 1000w prelaced into a rim is easy to source. Amazon, AliExpress, GrinTech, sometimes EBay, etc. You’ll likely only find it laced to a solid rim, not like your current rim with punch out holes to reduce weight and reveal the colored tube strip. Also all the prelaced options come with the L1019 motor connector, unlike your Z916 connector. Eunorau is the only provider I know who sells the G062 with the Z916 motor cable and it’s without the rim, so you’d have to purchase that from them and take your rear wheel to a bike shop and have them lace it to your current rim. Your controller cable will plug right in, only thing to note is that all G062’s motor cables exit on the opposite side of the G060, so you’d have to reroute your controller motor cable to the other side by snipping some zip ties.

Option 2: Purchase G062 prelaced into solid rim, buy Z916 to L1019 motor cable adapter from somewhere like electrobikeworld.com or AliExpress. Swap the tire and you’re done, the rim won’t match perfectly though.

This is an easy upgrade, your ebike uses two Bafang G060 750w motors. I reccomend the G062 1000w model. On average it provides a 1-4 MPH speed gain over the 750w and noticeable acceleration and hill climbing ability. It also has a wider stator and thicker nylon planetary gear assembly, since it’s slightly more robust it will last longer using it as your primary motor. Although both motors are only running off separate 22 amp controllers I doubt they’ll ever burn out.

Option 1: If you want the aesthetic to match perfectly it may cost a bit more and take more time, purchasing the Bafang G062 1000w prelaced into a rim is easy to source. Amazon, AliExpress, GrinTech, sometimes EBay, etc. You’ll likely only find it laced to a solid rim, not like your current rim with punch out holes to reduce weight and reveal the colored tube strip. Also all the prelaced options come with the L1019 motor connector, unlike your Z916 connector. Eunorau is the only provider I know who sells the G062 with the Z916 motor cable and it’s without the rim, so you’d have to purchase that from them and take your rear wheel to a bike shop and have them lace it to your current rim. Your controller cable will plug right in, only thing to note is that all G062’s motor cables exit on the opposite side of the G060, so you’d have to reroute your controller motor cable to the other side by snipping some zip ties.

Option 2: Purchase G062 prelaced into solid rim, buy Z916 to L1019 motor cable adapter from somewhere like electrobikeworld.com or AliExpress. Swap the tire and you’re done, the rim won’t match perfectly though.
Thank You for your reply. I noticed that eunorau sells a slightly more powerful controller for the g062 I imagine that it will be worth it to swap out controllers as well. Its only 90 bucks and is rated for higher continuous amp draw and 5 amps higher peak. Your thoughts?

Their G062 kit comes with a 25 amp controller with matching motor connector which is well underpowered for this motor, they also sell a 28 amp controller but it has a smaller 9 pin Z910 connector which is strange. I have this 28 amp controller I put it on an old 500w Juiced Bikes ebike it’s been great. If you’re considering any controller upgrades with dual motors it gets complicated, you will need to know how to splice the throttle cables together to have one throttle, and make sure the one display can operate with both controllers and that the connections facilitate this which is almost never. I personally don’t do that and have gone with the dual throttle and dual display setup to have a simple plug and play upgrade and easy maintenance with complete separate systems. My favorite builds are with the G062 in the rear with a 35 amp KT controller, right twist throttle, large colored LCDH8 display and for the front a G060 750w 30 amp KT controller, left thumb throttle, and a tiny LCD4 display so it looks like you only have one. You could keep your 22 amp controller for the front and have a 30 or 35 amp controller for the G062 but it would have to be mounted to the seat tube if it won’t fit in the mid drive casing. Two throttles may sound terrible at first but I prefer it now not having to toggle the switch and having on demand front wheel power when needed, check out this guys video if you want to know what it’s like he’s got two 750w G060’s both on 35 amp KT controllers.

Hello all,

Thanks for your replies.
No need in most cases to change the motor. Change the controller to provide more amps to the motor will increase the watts the motor is capable of. I also think the change would bring little advantage for your needs. I suggest planning on running both motors will provide you with a lot more useable power. You might want to consider carrying a spare battery depending on how far you plan to travel into the woods.

Their G062 kit comes with a 25 amp controller with matching motor connector which is well underpowered for this motor, they also sell a 28 amp controller but it has a smaller 9 pin Z910 connector which is strange. I have this 28 amp controller I put it on an old 500w Juiced Bikes ebike it’s been great. If you’re considering any controller upgrades with dual motors it gets complicated, you will need to know how to splice the throttle cables together to have one throttle, and make sure the one display can operate with both controllers and that the connections facilitate this which is almost never. I personally don’t do that and have gone with the dual throttle and dual display setup to have a simple plug and play upgrade and easy maintenance with complete separate systems. My favorite builds are with the G062 in the rear with a 35 amp KT controller, right twist throttle, large colored LCDH8 display and for the front a G060 750w 30 amp KT controller, left thumb throttle, and a tiny LCD4 display so it looks like you only have one. You could keep your 22 amp controller for the front and have a 30 or 35 amp controller for the G062 but it would have to be mounted to the seat tube if it won’t fit in the mid drive casing. Two throttles may sound terrible at first but I prefer it now not having to toggle the switch and having on demand front wheel power when needed, check out this guys video if you want to know what it’s like he’s got two 750w G060’s both on 35 amp KT controllers.

Back