Brakes Upgrading brakes? (Schwinn Stingray Chopper Ebike)

XxHaimBondxX

Local time
7:42 AM
Hi all, I built a small e-bike out of Schwinn Stingray Chopper, it goes over 30 mph, weighs a ton, plus I'm 230+ lb. The rear brakes are pretty large, plus I added front brakes, however, I'd like more stopping power. Are there better brake pads available. I am occasional rider, so I am not sure I want to invest in hydraulic disk brakes just yet. Thanks.

V-brakes, but I already installed a mechanical disc brake on the rear, just waiting on the brake cable, which needed to be a bit longer than what's in my parts bin.

Attachments

• 20210605_165435.jpg
    20210605_165435.jpg
    233.3 KB · Views: 557
V-brakes, but I already installed a mechanical disc brake on the rear, just waiting on the brake cable, which needed to be a bit longer than what's in my parts bin.
Well the rear brake should help but remember that about 70% of braking is done by the front brake. Not sure if you want to go to the expense of adding a front disc brake, but that would be the idea solution.

Well the rear brake should help but remember that about 70% of braking is done by the front brake. Not sure if you want to go to the expense of adding a front disc brake, but that would be the idea solution.
Interesting, was not aware. I almost never use the front brake since I thought it was a sure way to fly over the handlebars. There's no way to attach a disc to the front wheel without replacing the wheel.

Interesting, was not aware. I almost never use the front brake since I thought it was a sure way to fly over the handlebars. There's no way to attach a disc to the front wheel without replacing the wheel.
Yes I understand the issues with converting a non disc bike to disc brakes. To do it right you would need to change the forks and front wheel hub at the minimum. That is the very reason I gave up on adding e-power to my perfectly fine Trek 7200.

However in the end even taking that all in to consideration if I had it all to do over, I would do the conversion using a Mid-Drive motor and try to use the V-Brakes on the bike with special pads. I think the overall finished product would weigh considerably less than commercial e bikes in that price range $1500-2000. As in most things with motors it boils down to power to weight ratios.

BTW that braking force being done by the front brakes applies to all vehicles with 4 wheel braking systems. It's simple physics, caused by the weight shift to the front when braking.

Back