Undecided on eBike. Questions

tarmour

Local time
8:44 AM
I've been researching eBikes for several days now. I've took into account a few things. I want to take the bike off road about half the time. I live in an area with grassy hills and some steeper trails. So riding in those areas are my goal. I have a Great Pyrenees that just loves to run off into the hills, I want to be able to do it with her. We currently have an electric trike that allows us to run her on the pavement. And she loves to run alongside the trike with the leash on. But whenever given the chance she will run into those hills then comes back on her own time. The problem with that is the community we live in doesn't allow dogs to run free off their leash. So if nothing else I can stick with her and she will gladly stay close if I can follow her into her neck of the woods so to speak.

So my problem is shopping for an ebike is like buying a car. Too many to choose from now. I don't want to just buy a cheapo bike and regret my decision right off the bat. So I figured I would ask for some advice. Since eMTB are not cheap and I'm not rich.

1. Do I need a full suspension eBike?
2. Hardtail or Front suspension should be enough for grassy hills and small trails.
3. Love the idea of a Belt-Drive (but want a throttle for steeper inclines) Im 53 and not in great shape by all means. @ 6ft 170lbs Im not doing bad either.
4. Do I want a heavy fat tired bike? Or something lighter?

Note: I live in the Columbia Gorge east of Portland, Oregon.

If I was just commuting easy decisions, Cannondale Bad Boy 1, Trek District 4, Priority Current, so many others. But reputable companies.

Some of the things I'd like is 750w-1500w mid drive. front suspension Minimum 28mph+, hydraulic Disk brakes. My Budget is 2k but a little higher might be worth it.

A few bikes I am looking at:

1. Sondors LX $2,500
2. Haibike's
3. Cyberbike Coco with a Dapu MidDrvie 110nM tq
4. Worland
etc etc etc

I want to stick with Cannondale, Specialized, Trek, Giant. But I'm not sure I can get what I want for the price.

Honorable mention hub drives: RadRover 6, ) great advertising. Ride1up 700 series LMT'D, Adventon Adverturer

I don't want to make this post any longer. Just too much research to bore you with. Any help on bike ideas would be much appreciated.

thanks,

Tommy A.

1629312494314.png

View attachment 2281
Thanks for the link. It does look like an honorable mention for a HUB drive system and Himiway seems like a solid company. Specs seem great @ 750w 80nM 48v samsung battery, the price is comparable to the other fat tired hub drive companies I listed. However I'm looking for Mid Drive. Hydraulic brake 750w + hardtail or full. I'm watching the video now. :)

And if your wondering if it is tough enough.................................

Very cool video, thanks for sharing. I wonder how the other companies would compare to that kind of riding. Rad, Ride1up, Adventon. Its very cool to see these fat tired bikes are capable of that much abuse. That is why I'm having such a hard time deciding. They all have great potential. But if Im going to spend 1800 I might as well spend 2500 and get a good hub drive with hydraulic. Just finding the most powerful spec'd at that price point is really hard. Would love to get full suspension but that's shooting out of my price range. Unless I go with a newer company without much support.

I live in Massachusetts. Bike came from China to warehouse in Cali. and then FedEx to Mass.
It took 8 weeks. Not bad considering the distance, demand and the pandemic!

After I watched more video's. The Himi seems like a fantastic bike, at a great price. Changed my mind about the Rad bikes though. The Adventurer however has its perks for the extra money. hydraulic brakes, metal fenders, and the color display.

It does look like a good bike too. Decisions....decisions!
I've really been leaning towards the Sondors LX but the damn price tag went up $400. making it a whopping $2,900. Is it actually worth $1,300. more than the himi? Or a $1,000 more than the adventurer? The LX has the mid-drive(bafang) great hydraulic brakes, top speed near 40mph. But it's still just a fat tired hardtail cruiser. I tried to contact Sondors this morning about a possible first time buyer coupon to get the cost back down to $2,500. Good Luck with that. LOL

Keeping all that in mind, If i'm at the 3k range. Which is almost 2x the cost of the HIMI I should be able to have better off road options than the LX. I dunno

I guess I'll keep peckin at it until the right deal or option comes along. I gotta be honest that HIMI with 2 year warranty and price tag. It's still in the running. My wife is like you better ride this everyday. I just smiled and said if I don't you will. :)

Damn that is a hell uv a contender. Little more spunk for the same cost.

I have an update on a bike I just found on craigslist in my area. https://flx.bike/collections/certified-used/products/certified-used-attack comes with 2 17ah batteries. They guy said he has 500 miles on the bike. Its in immaculate condition. I offered 1200 cash, he is gonna take it. I'm waiting on time and place.

Nice...good luck with it and be safe!
Thanks, I bought the bike. My brother picked it up a few minutes ago. He lives about 4 hours away. So I won't be able to get it for a few days. But i'm excited. I got lucky finding it when I did. I guess the guy had 15 or more texts emails about this bike in the first few hours. I feel lucky today. :)

Thanks for all your help Rick. I'm hoping for a good experience.

After I watched more video's. The Himi seems like a fantastic bike, at a great price. Changed my mind about the Rad bikes though. The Adventurer however has its perks for the extra money. hydraulic brakes, metal fenders, and the color display.
OK Himiway rider here, I thought of upgrading the mechanical brakes but have decided upgrading the cables would solve the one issue I have with the stock brakes, a spongy rear brake, cost less than $31.00. As for metal fenders, they dent and rust, the fenders on the Himiway are tough and mounted very well. As for the color display, everything I have heard and read tell me the monochrome displays are much easier to see under all conditions.

I have changed the shifter and added a suspension seat post, other than that the bike is stock. I have gone through the optional setting increase the speed limit, and bumped the controller from 20 amps to maximum of 25 amps. Also changed the pedal assist levels to 0-9 starting at 20% follow in 10% increments to 99% at level 9.

With all this if I had the $ and could find a mid drive at a price I could do I would buy that setup. The mid drives allow the motor to drive through the gear set and take advantage of the different gear ratios especially when climbing hills.

I've been researching eBikes for several days now. I've took into account a few things. I want to take the bike off road about half the time. I live in an area with grassy hills and some steeper trails. So riding in those areas are my goal. I have a Great Pyrenees that just loves to run off into the hills, I want to be able to do it with her. We currently have an electric trike that allows us to run her on the pavement. And she loves to run alongside the trike with the leash on. But whenever given the chance she will run into those hills then comes back on her own time. The problem with that is the community we live in doesn't allow dogs to run free off their leash. So if nothing else I can stick with her and she will gladly stay close if I can follow her into her neck of the woods so to speak.

So my problem is shopping for an ebike is like buying a car. Too many to choose from now. I don't want to just buy a cheapo bike and regret my decision right off the bat. So I figured I would ask for some advice. Since eMTB are not cheap and I'm not rich.

1. Do I need a full suspension eBike?
2. Hardtail or Front suspension should be enough for grassy hills and small trails.
3. Love the idea of a Belt-Drive (but want a throttle for steeper inclines) Im 53 and not in great shape by all means. @ 6ft 170lbs Im not doing bad either.
4. Do I want a heavy fat tired bike? Or something lighter?

Note: I live in the Columbia Gorge east of Portland, Oregon.

If I was just commuting easy decisions, Cannondale Bad Boy 1, Trek District 4, Priority Current, so many others. But reputable companies.

Some of the things I'd like is 750w-1500w mid drive. front suspension Minimum 28mph+, hydraulic Disk brakes. My Budget is 2k but a little higher might be worth it.

A few bikes I am looking at:

1. Sondors LX $2,500
2. Haibike's
3. Cyberbike Coco with a Dapu MidDrvie 110nM tq
4. Worland
etc etc etc

I want to stick with Cannondale, Specialized, Trek, Giant. But I'm not sure I can get what I want for the price.

Honorable mention hub drives: RadRover 6, ) great advertising. Ride1up 700 series LMT'D, Adventon Adverturer

I don't want to make this post any longer. Just too much research to bore you with. Any help on bike ideas would be much appreciated.

thanks,

Tommy A.
If you have the money get a E-Cells Crown 1500

Back