Trying to decide between an Aventon Level.2 Commuter, Aventon Adventure 2 fat tire and Mokwheel Basalt fat tire

MassGuy

Local time
10:26 AM
I've been researching ebikes for days. Things that are important to me are range, speed and quality. Quality applies to all bikes. Range is more important than speed but I wouldn't mind having it all.

I was originally going to go with the Aventon Level.2 Commuter. Seems like a great bike with a 500W (750 peak) motor and 672Wh battery. It's light weight for an ebike at 62lbs. The reason I originally didn't look at fat tire bikes is because they are heavy and have a higher rolling resistance so that would hurt range and performance. I saw an ad for one so I took a look. No problem with range/performance when there is a bigger motor and battery. The Aventon Adventure 2 has a 750W sustained motor that is powered by a 720Wh battery. This sounded pretty good to me! I was pretty much set on going with the Adventure 2 until I saw a Facebook ad for the Mokwheel Basalt. It has a 750W motor pared to a 940Wh battery. Something else that I like about this one is the wheelbase is about 5.5" longer than the Adventure 2 while I like better. I wouldn't have thought anything of that until I compared them. I do like the Aventon display better. So these fat tires can 28+ MPH and have a really good range.

My current bike is an X-treme Rubicon. It has a 500w motor pared with a 499Wh battery. I can only get about 24 miles out of it and that's at the lowest level with me providing input. My rides have to be carefully calculated. I'd like to be able to do 20-25 miles in each direction without thinking about it.

Thoughts/feedback?

Thanks!

I went with the Level 2 as it is marketed as a commuter bike. Aventure is marketed as an off road bike. I prefer the 2.1 inch tires over 4 inch tires. The speed and range are the same.

The thing that changed my mind from a fat tire to commuter style was where I was realistically going to ride. There was a good chance that 99% of my riding would be on paved surfaces with only occasionally going on dirt, but level paths. So no need for the fat tires. The 2.4" tires are much quieter with less rolling resistance. I get about 60 miles with using PA 2 or 3 most of the time on flat level trails and the occasional hill. I only use the throttle for getting going from a dead stop like at an intersection. I still haven't run the battery all the way down so I really can't say how far I could stretch it. My bike has a 500 w hub drive with a 48v 16.5ah battery. I'm about 200lbs. 6'1".

The Aventon Adventure 2 has a 750W sustained motor that is powered by a 720Wh battery. The Mokwheel Basalt has a 750W motor pared to a 940Wh battery. This is something that sold me on a fat tire bike.

I ordered the Basalt. It will be here Saturda.

Ah! But Wait! Are the batteries the same size? It would seem the 2.1" tires offer great reduction in rolling resistance.
I'm not sure how the 2 bikes share the same range and speed. I figured a bigger motor uses more energy so therefore the Aventure would have a lower range and speed...oh well maybe there is an engineer out here who could help us on this.

I'm not sure how the 2 bikes share the same range and speed. I figured a bigger motor uses more energy so therefore the Aventure would have a lower range and speed...oh well maybe there is an engineer out here who could help us on this.
Allow me to step in lieu of an honest engineer:
One battery is 720Wh and the other is 940Wh.
So, although using more power, the fat wheel has a 940Wh battery.
It could also be said it takes 220Wh more to propel a fat tire as opposed to a 2.1" tire over the same distance.

The Aventon Adventure 2 has a 750W sustained motor that is powered by a 720Wh battery. The Mokwheel Basalt has a 750W motor pared to a 940Wh battery. This is something that sold me on a fat tire bike.

What are your thoughts on the Mokwheel? I have the same conundrum...

Hi, I been stuck between adventure and Basalt what you guys think? Thanks.

I still think one of the biggest factors in deciding what ebike to buy is the type of riding you realistically think you will be doing. If mostly paved flat trails or streets why would you want a fat tire bike? If going off road on dirt/sand/gravel trails you probably don't want a cruiser or commuter bike. Just be realistic with where you'll do the vast majority of your riding. Of course there is the want/cool factor that also comes into play and that urge is legitimate too. I'd like to have one of each! I'm 72 and live right beside a paved rail trail so I know where I'll be doing most of my riding. I seriously doubt I'll ever be mountain biking on hilly, dirt, rock strewn trails so my logical choice is the commuter or cruiser type.

@MassGuy how are you liking the Basalt? Have been trying to decide between the Basalt and Aventure2. There’s not much unbiased info on Mokwheel, unlike Aventon.

We carry both Aventon and Mokwheel, so my opinion is unbiased...both fat bikes have proven to be solid performers and really great quality overall. If you want your bike to do everything, then get a fat tire eBike, otherwise you will not be happy when you try to ride your commuter style bike on the beach, for example. I personally have put a few thousand miles on the Aventure, and now have put at least 500 miles on the Basalt, and each bike has its strong and weak points. For example, my daily country road ride includes several steep paved hill climbs and descents at 40+ mph, and flat gravel rail trails, and run in PAS 5 most of the time. The Mokwheel has a 20% larger battery, and in my experience about a 20% greater range. I got 26 miles out of the Basalt today, with the last 4 miles on PAS1/2 just to be sure I got home. The range on the Aventure.1 was about 20 miles under the same conditions. I have not tested the Aventure.2 on this same ride, but based on other rides I have done with the bike, I think I could get over 30 miles out of the battery. The Mokwheel throttles to 30mph all day long, which is really nice to have available...why?, because speed is fun. The Aventure will do 28mpg, but only on PAS. The Aventon has a better display with % battery remaining vs. Mokwheel's vague battery life bars...we can put a man on the moon, so why can't Mokwheel display % battery, lol? Aventon also has an app that connects to the bike via bluetooth, which is nice to have. Again, each bike has its pro and cons, and that is why we carry both Brands and allow buyers to ride both to get expert advise to find their perfect ride.

We carry both Aventon and Mokwheel, so my opinion is unbiased...both fat bikes have proven to be solid performers and really great quality overall. If you want your bike to do everything, then get a fat tire eBike, otherwise you will not be happy when you try to ride your commuter style bike on the beach, for example. I personally have put a few thousand miles on the Aventure, and now have put at least 500 miles on the Basalt, and each bike has its strong and weak points. For example, my daily country road ride includes several steep paved hill climbs and descents at 40+ mph, and flat gravel rail trails, and run in PAS 5 most of the time. The Mokwheel has a 20% larger battery, and in my experience about a 20% greater range. I got 26 miles out of the Basalt today, with the last 4 miles on PAS1/2 just to be sure I got home. The range on the Aventure.1 was about 20 miles under the same conditions. I have not tested the Aventure.2 on this same ride, but based on other rides I have done with the bike, I think I could get over 30 miles out of the battery. The Mokwheel throttles to 30mph all day long, which is really nice to have available...why?, because speed is fun. The Aventure will do 28mpg, but only on PAS. The Aventon has a better display with % battery remaining vs. Mokwheel's vague battery life bars...we can put a man on the moon, so why can't Mokwheel display % battery, lol? Aventon also has an app that connects to the bike via bluetooth, which is nice to have. Again, each bike has its pro and cons, and that is why we carry both Brands and allow buyers to ride both to get expert advise to find their perfect ride.
I'm currently trying to decide between these two bikes as well. My main concern is customer service from the manufactures? I've heard complaints about both vendors. Aventure not responding to customers at all or very slowly. Mokwheel being slow at times to respond but eventually taking care of issues. Can you please advise which of these bikes is more reliable and which manufacturer provides the BEST customer support? Thanks in advance!

I'm currently trying to decide between these two bikes as well. My main concern is customer service from the manufactures? I've heard complaints about both vendors. Aventure not responding to customers at all or very slowly. Mokwheel being slow at times to respond but eventually taking care of issues. Can you please advise which of these bikes is more reliable and which manufacturer provides the BEST customer support? Thanks in advance!

My Aventure2 is about 5 months old now. I'm 220 pounds and I ride mostly street with light gravel, right now I have about 400 miles on it. On low power (street) I get 50 mile range with a small amount left in the battery. I'm guessing close to 55 if I ran it out.
Warranty wise, even though I didnt buy it from my local bike shop, they have helped me with a small issue.

Back