TREK MTB with BBS02 Max acceptable heat

Humy

Local time
5:08 AM
Hello everyone, I’m new here and I’m hoping to get your help!
I’ve got an MTB with 7 rear gears and a BBS02 750W set at 24Amps max current draw with the 860C display 9PAS, along with a 44T front Chainring.
I use my E-bike for commuting mainly to work and back with a distance of 16 to 20 miles round trip up/down hills.
I recently installed a temperature probe/sensor on the outer body of the motor (strategically placed with thermal paste and what not) to get an idea of the motor temperature as I drive.
Now my questions are:
1- What’s the maximum acceptable heat the motor could reach without affecting its components?
2- How does my shifting up/down affect the motor? Especially when going up hills! What’s recommended

Many thanks in advance
Cheers
Humy

Hello everyone, I’m new here and I’m hoping to get your help!
I’ve got an MTB with 7 rear gears and a BBS02 750W set at 24Amps max current draw with the 860C display 9PAS, along with a 44T front Chainring.
I use my E-bike for commuting mainly to work and back with a distance of 16 to 20 miles round trip up/down hills.
I recently installed a temperature probe/sensor on the outer body of the motor (strategically placed with thermal paste and what not) to get an idea of the motor temperature as I drive.
Now my questions are:
1- What’s the maximum acceptable heat the motor could reach without affecting its components?
2- How does my shifting up/down affect the motor? Especially when going up hills! What’s recommended

Many thanks in advance
Cheers
Humy
You should check with Luna cycles they do a lot of development work with the motor that you have.

Congrats on your ride, as an electrician of 40+ years heat is the by product of the work output of the motor. Motors are usually desinged to run 120 degrees Celsius above ambient at full rated output. But this number should be confirmed by your drive manufacturer before committing to running the motor at this temp', as these motor drives ARE NOT RATED continuous operation. Having said that, keeping that heat down prevents premature motor winding insulation failure which will extend the usable life of the motor. Using your gears correctly will be the biggest factor in reducing the heat generated when the load on the motor is increased due to up hill climbing.

Back