Trek Domane+ HP7 or Specialized Creo

lowflyer

Local time
10:24 AM
Before I bought my first ebike I had narrowed it down to the Specialized Creo but at the last minute I decided since I was going to spend this kind of money I should go ahead and at least try the Trek Domane+ HP7. I tried the Domane first and really liked it. A few days later I tried the Creo. I rode both bike on the same 60 mile course with 1800 ft. elevation climbing. Even though I was leaning towards the Creo because it was lighter I really liked the Domane better. The Domane fit me better and felt more like a road bike.The Creo didn't have as much power on the climbs and required riding at a higher cadence than I could maintain for any extended time. Maybe would have been fine for a younger and more fit rider but at 66 I couldn't maintain the higher cadence of 90 to 120 rpm. I bought the Domane+ HP7 and have ridden it on 4 fast 60 mile group rides with 1800 to 2500 ft. climbing with my regular riding buddies who are 5 to 15 yr. younger. Before the Domane I could barely hang with them this year but with the DomaneI can ride with them as hard and fast as they want to go. I can be at the front on the climbs now (first if I wanted to but just hang back in the group). I now can do these hard fast rides & not be totally exhausted. A lot more fun. I am very happy with the Domane.

Last edited by a moderator:
Trek did a good job making the Domane+ HP7 look like a regular bike:
DomanePlusHP7_20_32575_A_Portrait.jpg

I’m curious how much weight is shed and how easy it is to “entirely remove the system” and ride in “normal bike” mode. If it’s like 15lbs and takes a minute or something of that order, that seems reasonable. Still, maybe it doesn’t matter that much. Seems like if you’re buying an e-bike like this you’re probably not that interested in its “normal bike” mode, and it’s not like you can remove the system and just leave it on the roadside if you run out of juice.

I’m curious how much weight is shed and how easy it is to “entirely remove the system” and ride in “normal bike” mode. If it’s like 15lbs and takes a minute or something of that order, that seems reasonable. Still, maybe it doesn’t matter that much. Seems like if you’re buying an e-bike like this you’re probably not that interested in its “normal bike” mode, and it’s not like you can remove the system and just leave it on the roadside if you run out of juice.
Removing any of these motor systems is not a quick process and while Bosch makes an excellent system it is not a quick on and off and is not ideal for the cables going in and out all the time. You will likely have to remove the motor and install something that fits the motor mounts.

The battery that Bosch uses is a 500wh powerpack it is not going to be something like Specialized but a standard Bosch battery that is common place on a lot of bikes. Not a bad thing but not something workable for a lightweight travel bike!

The cool thing about the Specialized Creo is you can have your local shop remove the main battery and have a travel battery that can go on a plane! That would be what I want in a bike like this light for travel and some help up hills and mountains.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're right Whiptastic, I didn't buy the bike for a "normal" ride. I still ride my Specialized Roubaix for days I'm riding short solo rides or slower group ride days. I bought the Domane primarily for faster more hilly rides with my regular riding buddies who are 5 to 15 yr. younger. I guess you could say I am a has been. I used to be able to ride with most any group no matter how hard or fast they went but in the last couple years that is not happening without the Domane. Like this past weekend Sat. 55 mi. 1700 ft. elev. 2:45 min. and Sun. 60 mi. 2500 ft. elev. 3 hrs. One rest stop both days to refill water bottles. Still had over 40% battery left each day. I couldn't have done those rides without the Domane. This is a crazy powerful bike and pure joy to ride. I don't plan on air traveling with this bike. For what I do this is all I need.

Last edited:
Back