Transporting a Heavy E-Bike

I recently purchased a Himiway all-terrain fat tire bike.Depending on who you talk to the bike weighs between 72 and 75 pounds with battery. I have a Mustang GT which has a reasonable size trunk but there's no way this bike will fit in there.

I have found a trunk mounted rack by Allen that will hold the weight especially if you take the battery off but now the dilemma is how to attach the bike to the rack because of the crossbar design with a dip in it. I immediately thought of the accessory crossbars that are usually use for step through bikes but I haven't been able to find anything that will handle handle the weight of this bike.

So my question is has anybody come up against this before and is there a solution.
You need a 2 inch Hitch on the back of the Mustang, if you can install one. If so your problems are over once you buy a 1UP Bike Rack!

I have a 2” receiver hitch on my 2021 Subaru Outback. It has tongue weight of 270#. I’m carrying 2 60# ebikes and have a 60# hitch (Saris door county). Total of 160# without the batteries. I should be ok as long as I don’t overload inside of my Subaru. We are going from Ohio to Tuscon in February for 1900 miles each way.

I just use my 2 bike receiver hitch like those pictured with the upright. Not sure of where they get the weight rating, but I put a longer heavier, 2x2 stainless steel square tubing bar on it to be able to open the tailgate without disturbing the rack. I can stand on it with no problems (200#). Also put a hitch tightener on, which clamps the bar and receiver together so the bikes don’t flop around. @12$on eBay.

KAC K2 2” Hitch Mounted Rack 2-Bike Platform Style Carrier for Standard, Fat Tire, and Electric Bicycles - 2 Bikes X 60 lbs (120 lbs Total) Heavy Weight Capacity - Smart Tilting

AM-JKLXvvaFipvVWfE546VNyghfk3cqyXeurRQ7_bcAnf5irGtfIWykFR8L1tXTuolfhF4_7IG0qLU85wcCNwHTSVB5McJmvzMWLU3CYx6GvTB3VsR-hw3uZYXbIRWZ462h2EetGjW-4LJMl1rDk9jkSYxW5Hg=w2144-h1608-no

This crossbar will support 100 lbs.
BV Bike Rack Adjustable Adapter Bar & Frame Cross-Bar TubeTop Adaptor
$29.99 on Amazon.

I had a 2 inch hitch installed on my SUV and bought a Thule EasyFold XT Bike Rack for 2 Electric Bikes TH903202. This carries my two Aventon, Aventures with ease. It is a bit of a juggle to fit them on but the ramp helps with the weight issues when loading. It's an expensive solution but it really works very well.

This crossbar will support 100 lbs.
BV Bike Rack Adjustable Adapter Bar & Frame Cross-Bar TubeTop Adaptor
$29.99 on Amazon.
This is almost exactly like my bike rack that I installed on my Subaru Forester. I bought my rack from Amazon for less than $300 - I think it's a Leader Accessories brand. Works perfectly.

Bike racks are just like the bikes they hold... you get what you pay for. I'm told I will be receiving the 1st Kuat Piston Pro X rack delivered to Washington state... sometime before the end of the month thank you Covid. I've waited years to get almost this exact rack, I actually purchased my car specifically to carry this rack. I've been hanging my bike on a trunk-mounted bike rack on a Nissan Maxima to get her back and forth to services for years now but unloaded and without the battery, my bike is under 50 lbs. You know the best way to move your SUV around, you just have to do it. Good luck.

I have a 1997 Toyota to transport my bike, I can still muscle it on the cargo bay with the battery removed.
No need for rack, but for those of you wanting to transport their ebikes make sure you install UHaul approved hitch for your rack.
@Hoggdoc a proper rack is what you want.
Mustang is not made for transporting 70lbs ebikes attached to the trunk lid.
I totally agree with that.

Overdrive unit works good for me. Tips down a bit to load and unload.

Attachments

• IMG_0834.JPG
    IMG_0834.JPG
    302.2 KB · Views: 117
I totally agree with that.
To answer the original question, assuming bike is reduced in weight for the rating of the rack, then you could use either the existing straps or some additional , perhaps stronger, ones to go thru the frame where available and then affix to the horizontal arms of the rack.

Used a similar one many times with under 50lbs, no problems.

I'm really pleased with my 1up carrier. Very solid and well made. Super-easy to load and unload. I've put about 3000 miles on it so far.

Thanks for link to the Equip-D carrier. I'm looking at the Equip-D Double and have a few questions. We have a 2 inch hitch receiver on our Telluride SUV. The link to the Equip-D Double says "up to 135 lb (50 lb in bike spots 1 & 2 and 35 lb in bike spot 3" Not sure what bike spot 3 means in this context. Do you know?

We are planning to purchase 2 Priority Current ebikes, each about 53 lbs. However, if we take the batteries out during transport, that should bring down the weight of each ebike significantly so we should be okay on weight with the Equip-D Double, right?

I'm wondering about the security of both the carrier and/or two attached ebikes. Is it possible to both lock the bikes to the carrier overnight when inside a hotel room or an AIRB&B (or for a quick stop at a grocery store) and then when we are riding the bikes, to lock the carrier to the Telluride? It would be nice if we didn't have to bring the ebikes in the hotel or AIRB&B room for the night. Your thoughts on that.

Back