Transporting a Heavy E-Bike

Hoggdoc

Staff member
Local time
2:26 PM
I recently purchased a Himiway all-terrain fat tire bike.Depending on who you talk to the bike weighs between 72 and 75 pounds with battery. I have a Mustang GT which has a reasonable size trunk but there's no way this bike will fit in there.

I have found a trunk mounted rack by Allen that will hold the weight especially if you take the battery off but now the dilemma is how to attach the bike to the rack because of the crossbar design with a dip in it. I immediately thought of the accessory crossbars that are usually use for step through bikes but I haven't been able to find anything that will handle handle the weight of this bike.

So my question is has anybody come up against this before and is there a solution.

Attachments

• Bike Rack small.jpg
    Bike Rack small.jpg
    404.7 KB · Views: 339
  • Himiway E-Bike small.jpg
    Himiway E-Bike small.jpg
    467.5 KB · Views: 323
I recently purchased a Himiway all-terrain fat tire bike.Depending on who you talk to the bike weighs between 72 and 75 pounds with battery. I have a Mustang GT which has a reasonable size trunk but there's no way this bike will fit in there.

I have found a trunk mounted rack by Allen that will hold the weight especially if you take the battery off but now the dilemma is how to attach the bike to the rack because of the crossbar design with a dip in it. I immediately thought of the accessory crossbars that are usually use for step through bikes but I haven't been able to find anything that will handle handle the weight of this bike.

So my question is has anybody come up against this before and is there a solution.

you would have to have a receiver installed on your Mustang but receiver mounted bike are the best way to carry heavy bikes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I agree with the hitch mount approach, but they can be expensive.
- the fat wheels are really heavy. (I pedalled a fat tire bike for 3-1/2 years). Can you remove the wheels and then hang it on the bike carrier?

Part of the price to be paid for a very heavy e-bike is the need for a hitch receiver on the vehicle and often a 2x2 inch size receiver. It is like people who buy a trailer and then realize that their tow vehicle lacks the needed towing capabilities. Staying below 45 lbs of bike weight makes for a great many more options that are not available for heavier bikes.

I have an appointment next week to get a trailer hitch (1.25") put on my 2019 Chevy Impala. It's a Class II hitch capable of carrying our Rad Rover 5 and Himiway Cruiser Step Thru at roughly 150lbs. (Do not get a 1.25" Class I hitch as it is truly not rated for these heavy bikes!) I have the Hollywood rack and the 1.25" to 2" Receiver-Adapter which is plenty strong at over 350lb. Prior to us putting $3500 worth of bikes on the hitch for a 200 mile drive, I jumped up and down on this hitch and adapter which is currently installed on my wife's Equinox to no Ill-effect - and I'm 315lbs! Check out this link for the Hitch adapter with rise: https://www.maxxhaul.com/copy-of-80799?lightbox=dataItem-jxce31qk

Attachments

• 71Rh15Ie2XL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    71Rh15Ie2XL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 243
  • 615azTqagYL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    615azTqagYL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 248
Hi! I’ve searched everywhere for a trunk mount that would support two ebikes (140# without batteries) and haven’t found rated for that much weight yet. I did use an simple two bike one from bell that is rated for two 35# bikes with one ebike and it worked well on a 200 mile trip but boy was I afraid the entire time that it would fall off. Plus since the bars are straight and the bike frame is triangular the bike was on a big angle, which added to my fears of the bike falling off. I added a belt as I believe that the security straps on those things are too flimsy for ebikes. So I would consider a hitch mount instead. Plus, having a hitch mount comes in handy for other things. And trunk mounted bikes move around and can come in contact with your vehicle and scrape it. So if you do find a suitable trunk mount 1. Provide a barrier between the vehicle and bikes. 2. Provide a barrier between the two bikes so that they don’t come in contact with each other. 3. Let me know what you find, still looking. Safe travels!

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe get a front mount reciever hitch and carry one in the front and one in the back. :unsure:

1623714175680.png

I love that Diamondback cruiser on the front of that truck. I had one of those that was stolen from me about 7 years ago. Still hurts.

Well....for short distances, i would just use the allen rack with the arms under the top tube or between the seat tube and the rear forks(rear of bike) and the front under the juncture of the fork and head tube. No battery. The rack will hold it; use reinforced strapping.

I was curious about the Allen sports rack referenced on amazon. I have a older f150 with a 2 in receiver I believe. I usually haul it in the back of the truck,would prefer a rack. Tue price is right on this one if it will work with my bike. I have a aventon aventure low step. Approx 72 on weight. Any issues with it being a low step and the rack handling the weight. I don't have many good places to ride without transporting the bike. I usually ride on the road, dangerous here. I'm recovering from what should have been a very minor accident. Not so minor, broken ankle.

Attachments

• 442523FC-3C32-47D6-B8A8-CAA12EA0AD6D.jpeg
    442523FC-3C32-47D6-B8A8-CAA12EA0AD6D.jpeg
    303.2 KB · Views: 221

Safest to add a 1-1/4 inch hitch to the car and then use a hitch mounted bike rack that is designed for heavy e-bikes like the ones from Hollywood, Kuat, Thule, and others. The Thule has an integrated ramp which is a plus for loading a heavy bike and it has wheels to cart it to and from the car when not in use. The Kuat ones are very expensive but can be left on the car without issues with the turn signals being blocked.

Love my Saris electric rack. Push the button and up they go! Door county model

Time to get an SUV!

In case that’s not an option… try this:

You can try to fit a trail motorcycle rack. This rack allows rolling it onto the rack from the passenger side with a slide out ramp. The key is fitment to the bumper or frame or solid material.

Back